Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Queens Park

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Queens Park

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Main, Lennie, Wood.

25/09/1911 | KO:

At Pittodrie, yesterday, in this Scottish League match, Queen's Park opened with a slight wind advantage, but Aberdeen early asserted their superiority. Greig appeared in goal for the home team, and got an encouraging reception, which ultimate events proved to be well deserved. Colman and Hume gave the visiting forwards little rope, and, after nine minutes' play, Wood judiciously headed to Main, who gave Porter no chance, and Aberdeen scored their first goal. Following this up, Wood gave Porter a big task to hold a rocket shot, and he was lucky to clear. Wood was not to be denied, however, and a beautiful solo effort culminated in the cross-bar alone averting disaster. Soye next had a try at goal, after Anderson and Hill had been baulked by Colman and Hume, and Porter deflected the winger's shot at the expense of a corner. Lennie took the kick, and, rushing in, caught the rebound from a defender's head, and registered the second goal, after twenty minutes' play. There was no further scoring in the first half. On resuming, Queen's Park played with great determination, but whilst brilliant individually, their work was sadly lacking in the necessary cohesion. Aberdeen woke up at length, and a spirited movement by the front rank ended in Wood registering a great goal, the ball cannoning off Porter, who got upset. Despite the leeway the visitors played with fine dash, but failed to force an opening. A game in which the victors thoroughly deserved their success thus ended:- Aberdeen, three goals; Queen's Park, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 26th September 1911

From Queen's Park, the team in the Scottish League which could least afford to spare them, Aberdeen gained a much-needed couple of points at Pittodrie yesterday, when in a holiday fixture, before 8000 spectators, they defeated the amateur combination by 3 goals to 0. Aberdeen were easily the superior combination, and while they played anything but brilliant football, they generally had the measure of the opposition which, of decided ability individually, showed up poorly in collective effort. The game at times was over very one-sided nature, and the evident easiness of their task did not draw the best out of the home team. There were periods in the game when Queen's Park were crisp and nippy in their outfield movements, but they were unable to wear down the rock-like defence of the Aberdeen backs. Aberdeen, on the other hand, did not exert themselves after they got the opening goal. Nevertheless there were at times some sparkling passages of play, notably by the Aberdeen left wing, which was tricky in the extreme. The right wing did not work nearly so harmoniously as the left, J Walker, the clever Seaforth Highlander lacking confidence in himself in this his first League appearance. Soye, however, was very effective, and Main, if unfortunate near goal, did well in the outfield. The successful forward of the line, however, was Wood, who shaved better than he has done in a league game this season. Contrasted with this line, the Queen's forwards relied strongly on their right wing, which was second only to Lennie and Wood. Anderson, the extreme man, was effective and quick on the ball, and sent over some good centres. A comparison of the defence favoured Aberdeen. The back division was sure, especially Colman. The halves were all good. Wyllie, outstanding in the first period, was not so good latterly, and for consistency Wilson claimed the palm. Greig made a very creditable first appearance, and showed good judgement.

Queen's backs did well by their side, but it was not until the second period that they struck their proper game. Craigie was easily the better, although until the closing stages McKie kept a good grip of Lennie. H. McKenzie was the best of the half-backs, and often checked Main in stylish fashion. At inside left, Barbour failed to reach his proper form, but he was badly supported by Hill, and Clark was overshadowed by Wyllie. Throughout the game play was a very moderate standard, accounted for by the inequality of the teams.


For a few minutes after the start play was confined to midfield, after which Aberdeen made progress from a foul and Lennie had a likely header when two opponents came in the way. The queen's failed to shake off Aberdeen's attack until the home left half sent over. From the free-kick, the Spiders got near Greig, but Colman held Hill, and danger was averted until Anderson got round Hume. The ball, however, went past. Settling down two combined play, Aberdeen got well into the Queen's territory. The visitors, although playing hard, failed to keep out the eager"Dons," and, after 9 minutes play, Main gave the locals the lead. On play the point was deserved. Wood was more or less responsible for the goal, which resulted from a judicious pass by the inside man. It appeared as if Aberdeen were to again score. Wood had a characteristic run and shot, but Porter just managed to clear. The Queen's defence gradually came to the front, and Aberdeen were compelled to repeat. The queen's came down in a body. J. Anderson, getting clear of Wyllie, sent in a high drooping shot which appeared to be going under the crossbar into the net when Greig fisted over, giving away a corner. Another corner fell to the visitors, but it also proved fruitless. The Queen's attack was soon spent. Down went Aberdeen, and after 20 minutes' play the locals were two up. Lennie, securing the ball, sped goalwards, never stopping until the sphere was in the net. As individual players the Queen's were good, and no Aberdeen did not seem to exert themselves much, the combined better, hence their superiority. A rocket shot by Wood struck the crossbar. Spiders attacked, but the Aberdeen defence was too strong for them, and once more they had to defend. Greig had to clear from Anderson, after which fast end to end play made both defences very watchful, for there was no saying when a goal would be snatched. Towards the end of the first half the teams played with great vigour, but the defences could not be overcome. At half-time Aberdeen led by two goals to nil.

From the kick-off the Spiders made progress on the right, but a foul to Aberdeen brought relief. Main fouled porter, which allowed the visitors to get down, but the home defence was too stubborn to permit of scoring. The queen's played much better this half, and the game was full of exciting incidents. Both goals were subjected to periods of severe pressure, and had narrow escapes. Greig had to handle twice within a minute. Back game Aberdeen, only to meet with hard luck. And both goals likely shots were blocked more by good luck than anything else. When the Queen's again got down Greig had to fist out. This was followed by a good run by Main, his final effort was cleared. The Spiders fell away, but the Aberdeen forwards were not too keen in front of goal. In the closing stages the Queen's rallied for a final effort, but it was of no use. Barbour missed a likely chance. Aberdeen applied the pressure, and soon were three up. Wood had a drive which cannoned off the goalkeeper, then off wood into the net. Although three down, the Queen's "died" game, and fought strenuously to the end.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 26th September 1911

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, Walker, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Queens Park Teamsheet
F. J. Porter; D. McKie, C.V. Craigie; R. McKenzie, H. McKenzie, M. Wilson; J. Anderson, G. Ramsay, J. Clark, J. Barbour, J. Hill
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. S. Muir, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead