Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Celtic scorers: Donaldson

14/10/1911 | KO:

At Parkhead, Glasgow, before 8000 spectators. In the opening stages the exchanges were even, and were mostly confined to the midfield. The respective half-back divisions dominated the game, and the forwards found it very difficult to get on the move. The best combination came from the Aberdeen forwards, but the best scoring chances fell to the Parkheaders, and Nichol, with an open goal, shot straight into Greig's hands. McMenemy did likewise when he should have had the ball in the net. Towards the interval Aberdeen had more of the play than their opponents, and Lennie almost caught Adams napping when he sent in a terrific drive. Soye also had a fine effort, which Adams managed to save at the expense of an abortive corner. The Celtic reopened in fine style, and but for a great clearance by Wylie, Aberdeen would have found themselves one down. The centre half tackled Donaldson successfully when he was going through. Aberdeen wore down this attack and Lennie, after having the better of Young and McNair, made a fine opening for Douglas, but the Aberdeen centre missed the ball. Following a series of Aberdeen raids, the Celtic took the upper hand, and from a centre from Brown, Donaldson opened the scoring. Greig came out to meet the ball, but the Celt got there first. Till the finish the Celtic had the better of the exchanges, and but for an occasional breakaway Aberdeen had to act on the defensive. Result:- Celtic, one goal; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th October 1911

For the second successive week, Aberdeen were in Glasgow on Saturday, and at Parkhead were rather unfortunate to lose their Scottish League match with Celtic by the only goal of the game.
There were about 10,000 spectators present. Both teams showed many changes. Celtic included Nichol, the ex-Aberdeen centre forward, and the general rearrangement caused some surprise, and the Aberdeen side included several reserves. The game was stiffly contested throughout, and at times the football reached a high standard. Aberdeen were by far the more dangerous in the first half, but in the second period Celtic had the greater share of the play, but were opposed by a brilliant defence. In the end the home side were lucky to win, as on the run of play, reviewing the first half too, Aberdeen fully deserved to draw.


Play opened quietly, and, following a succession of throws-in to the Celts in Aberdeen territory, McMenemy relieved matters by sending behind. Aberdeen then took up the attack. Main and Walker had creditable tries. A spirited run by the Aberdeen forwards gave the Celtic defence some anxiety, but when Lennie looked like ferreting his way into goal Dodds chipped in timeously and averted danger. The homesters set off towards Greig, and when Wyllie blocked a raking shot from Hamilton, there were appeals for a penalty, but the referee paid no heed, and play was speedily transferred. At the end of 10 minutes' play McMenemy had to retire, but resumed after a short absence. A clever piece of work by Main and Lennie looked promising for Aberdeen, but offside against Soye nullified the opening which the latter provided.
So far there was nothing to choose between the teams, Aberdeen having as much of the play has their opponents, and being, if anything, more dangerous at close quarters.
Nichol made numerous valiant attempts to break through the Aberdeen defence, but the ex-soldier was well held by Wyllie, who excelled in breaking-up work. A foul in midfield lead Celts in, but Greig saved brilliantly from Nichol, who was left with an open goal. A minute later the custodian cleared cleverly from McMenemy, who had taken up the outside position. As the game progressed, play deteriorated somewhat, files being of rather frequent occurrence, with the Celtic the worse offenders.<.br> The defences on both sides were very sound, and were ahead of the attack. The best shot of the match so far, came from Lennie, who, from 30 yards out, let drive, but Adams saved cleverly. The northerners returned to the attack, however, and Adams was obliged to concede a corner from Davidson. At this stage Aberdeen had the upper hand, and for fully 10 minutes the Celtic goal underwent a spirited siege.

Aberdeen were early prominent after resuming, but muddling amongst the forwards nullified two openings. A period of give-and-take play followed, but the goalkeepers were not troubled. Lennie got off at the spanking pace, and crossed judiciously to Douglas, who was in an excellent position, but the centre was adjudged offside. Mcnair shortly afterwards was lustily cheered for cleverly robbing Main and his partner of the ball. The relief was only temporary, however, for Aberdeen were soon back again at Adams, where Walker made a somewhat feeble attempt to find the net.
The Celtic forwards were not working harmoniously together, and Nichol was cutting a comparatively poor figure. although working hard, the ex-Aberdeen centre was quite unable to keep his wings going, and his lighting shots were conspicuous by their absence, while time and again is injudiciousness brought the work of his colleagues to naught.
Colman was an brilliant form, and his clever stopping of Hamilton and Donaldson, after Davidson had been beaten, was only one of many clever things done by Aberdeen's stubby defender. After 25 minute's play, misfortune befell Aberdeen, Donaldson seizing on a fine cross by Brown, and giving Greig no chance with a shot which found the corner of the net.
On play the northerners were unlucky to be a goal down, but having up gained the lead, Celtic made things hum for a time. The equaliser, however, all but came, when Douglas got in a raking shot, which Adams only partially cleared. Following this narrow escape, the Celts went great guns, but Greig cleverly defied their efforts to increase their lead. Ten minutes from the close Low sustained a nasty injury to his ankle, but stuck gamely to his work.
In the closing stages McMenemy missed an easy opportunity for Celts, and brown demonstrated his weakness in shooting a moment later. From a corner kick splendidly placed by Soye, Main all but found the net. Aberdeen tried hard to save the game in the last minutes, but the Celtic defence held out, and the northerners retired on luckily beaten by the only goal scored.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th October 1911

Celtic Teamsheet
Adams; McNair, McGregor; Young, Dodds, Johnstone; Brown, McMenemy, Nichol, Donaldson, Hamilton
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Low, Soye, Walker, Douglas, Main, Lennie.
Attendance: 10,500
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Kelso, Hamilton
Next Match
HJK Helsinki
30 Nov 2023 / 17:45 / Töölö Football Stadium, Helsinki