Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Heart of Midlothian 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Heart of Midlothian 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Heart of Midlothian scorers: Murray
Aberdeen scorers: Main, Wyllie.

25/11/1911 | KO:

There were fully 8000 spectators at Tynecastle, where Aberdeen were the visitors. The Hearts pressed almost continuously throughout the game, but had the galling experience of seeing Aberdeen score twice from two spasmodic bursts, while they had only one goal to their credit for their hard afternoon's work. The opening stages were characterised by clever play by Murray, his elusive tactics giving the Aberdeen defence lots of trouble, but except for a couple of headers by Mercer, Greig was not seriously troubled. Half an hour from the start Lennie broke away on the left, and gave Main an opening which he quickly snapped up. The Hearts redoubled their efforts, and the scores were level within two minutes, thanks to Murray, who got his head on a low ball, which he deflected past Greig. It was a mystery how he had got down to it, and it was a brilliant effort.
The second half was conducted on somewhat similar lines - Hearts attacking almost incessantly. As in the first half, however, Aberdeen broke away, and Soye crossed a nice ball to Wylie, the centre-half having no difficulty in beating Allan. The home team strove hard to get on level terms, but Greig, Colman, and Hume defended stoutly. The Aberdeen backs were supported by three half-backs who tackled tenaciously and gave the home forwards little rope. Hearts were unlucky to lose, however, the whole team playing strongly, albeit Taylor was inclined to miskick when pressed. It was the irony of fate that they could press the most of the afternoon and have so little to their credit. Result:- Aberdeen, two goals; Heart of Midlothian, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 27th November 2011

The Aberdeen team maintained its recent good form by defeating Hearts at Tynecastle, Edinburgh, on Saturday by 2 goals to 1. Fully 12,000 people witnessed the game, in which play was of a scrappy nature. Aberdeen had to thank for brilliant defence for the victory, as the Hearts had by far the greater share of the play throughout.


The Hearts kicked off towards the road goal, but there was no advantage to Aberdeen in having won the toss, for there was no wind, and the sky was a typical dear and led in November one. The first important item was by Walker. The internationalist tricked several opponents, and, sending out to Abrams, the latter went straight for the Aberdeen goal. From long range he drove a hard, low shot, which Colman intercepted, and the danger was cleared. Beautiful play by the visitors' left wing looked dangerous, but a mistake on the part of Wood allowed Mercer to clear. A combined effort on the part of the home forward rank, which looked like bringing out a score. The Hearts still pegged at it, but after Greig had saved from Murray and Dawson, Colman cleared with a strong kick. From this the Aberdonians to cut the attack, and Allan saved a hard shot from Main. The Hearts' would undoubtedly having the best of matters at this early stage, and Dawson, receiving from Sinclair was almost through, when he overran the ball, and a glorious chance went abegging.
A fine round and a hot screw by Abrams caused Greig to save at the expense of a corner. This was easily cleared. Midfield play followed for a time. A foul against Burden did not look too well for Hearts, but Allan cleared his charge beautifully, and from a breakaway by Sinclair and Murray the visitors' defence was nearly pierced, but again Colman came to the rescue and saved his lines in splendid fashion.


The visitors now were playing the better football, their long crosses and bustling tactics being the chief feature. The Hearts again got on the move, and Sinclair was badly brought down just outside the penalty area. The ball was neatly dropped into goal, but Greig again brought off a brilliant save.
Continuing to have most of the play the Edinburgh 11 forced a couple of corners, but Mercer headed the ball out of danger. The Aberdeen boys were a bit disappointing so far, and we're not very often passed the centreline.
The Hearts made a determined siege on the Aberdeen goal, but all they could secure were a couple of furtive corners. The second nearly saw the downfall of the Aberdeen goal, Walker just gracing the upright. Following this escape Aberdeen came a little more into the limelight.


Led by Lennie, Aberdeen taxed the home defence to its utmost, and twice in quick succession Allan had to look lively to save a hard shot from Walker, and then another from Soye. Back came the visitors, and Wood, with a beautiful cross from the left, let Main score a clever goal. This was a little unexpected to the Hearts, and nettled at that, the home lot came away in a body, and from a pass from Nellies, Murray headed a grand goal into the net, and thus equalised. The goal was well taken, and the home 11 quite deserved it. The game know became fast and exciting, and from the restart Wood give Allan a hot shot to hold. Beautiful play by Lennie, Wood, and Main revived the Aberdeen hopes, and made the visitors really dangerous. The first-named, however, hung too long on the ball, and the Hearts' lines were cleared. From an individual effort Abrams screwed the ball into the Aberdeen goal, but again Greig came out with flying colours.
Towards the interval the play was of a very even character, and, the Aberdeen forwards showed more determination in their attack. There was, however, no further scoring.

When the second half began there would be 7000, a goodly number of local enthusiasts having gone to the Qualifying Cup. Aberdeen were twice very dangerous, and in the opening moments it looked as if they were more into their usual stride.
Aberdeen forced matters, but Main again spoiled a fine opportunity by holding onto the ball too long. Files were now numerous, and from one the Hearts all but added to their score. The ball was sworn out to Sinclair, who shot straight for goal, and Greig had all his work cut out to save his charge. Following this, Lennie relieved the pressure, and after a brilliant individual effort he was neatly pulled up by Taylor. The game song from end to end, but the shooting on both sides was poured. The game was not a pretty one by any means, and at times it became rough. Aberdeen came with a hot siege on the home goal, but Taylor was sure and easily saved the attack. At the other end Walker, after manoeuvring for position, and tricking several opponents, sent the ball high over the bar.


The Hearts were now playing well within themselves. Dawson drew the visiting defence, and, slipping the ball to Sinclair, the latter sent in to Greig, who saved on his knees.
The pressure was only temporarily relieved, for back game the home front rank in a body, and although Abrams was well played, the Englishman shot far over the bar. With 15 minutes to play, the visitors forced matters' Soye receiving the ball at the middle line, and, after rounding Nellies and Taylor, he dropped it into the goalmouth from the corner flag. From a cluster of players Wyllie slipped the ball past Allan. Thus Aberdeen took the lead.
Up this success early took the Hearts' supporters by surprise, other was loud demand for the home contingent to play up. Try as they could, the Hearts could make but little headway. The visitors' defence was sound, and could not be pierced. Towards the close Aberdeen looked like adding to their score, but the whistle came, and Aberdeen retired worthy winners by two goals to one.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 27th November 1911

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet
Allan; Hegarty, Taylor; Mercer, Burden, Nellies; Sinclair, Murray, Dawson, Walker, Abrams
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Davidson, Soye, Walker, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Referee: Mr. A. Jackson, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead