Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Greig (o.g.), Coham, Ellmore
Aberdeen scorers: McIntosh.

09/12/1911 | KO:

Aberdeen Lose Again - Partick's Sensational Goal

At Firhill, Glasgow. The Thistle had the better of the exchanges at the start, but beyond harassing the Aberdeen defence the forwards were never dangerous, and Greig had an easy time in goal. Playing open, free football, the Northerners put in a spell of bright play, and McIntosh made a bad mess of a great cross from Lennie. He, however, made amends shortly afterwards by clean beating Campbell after Soye had worked the ball down. Aberdeen experienced hard luck when the Thistle equalised. The Firhillers were awarded a penalty, but Greig dived and gripped the shot. In attempting to concede a corner the custodian threw the ball into the net. At the interval the scores were level. In the second half the Thistle took a firm grip of the game, and the Aberdonians, but for an occasional break-away, were forced to act on the defensive. Quite a number of excellent scoring opportunities were not taken advantage of by the Thistle, Marshall being chiefly to blame. The sustained pressure ultimately told, Coham converting a centre from the right, and near the finish Elmore added a third goal. Result:- Partick Thistle, three; Aberdeen, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th December 1911

Aberdeen suffered on Saturday their second Scottish League defeat in successive weeks, when at Firhill Park, Glasgow, they had decidedly the worst of the encounter with the Partick Thistle, who scored an easy 3-1 victory. About 10,000 spectators were present, and the pitch, in consequence of the wintry weather, was in wretched condition. In spite of this latter fact, the two teams gave a magnificent exhibition in the first half, when delightful football was shown. Aberdeen were first to score after superb outfield work, in which the whole forward line participated. Partick's equalising goal came in sensational fashion, and it marked the turning point of the game in Thistle's favour. There was a penalty given against Hume. The Aberdeen goalkeeper stopped the shot in brilliant style, but under the impression that he was throwing the ball behind he sent it into the net. This appeared to have a disheartening effect on the side, for never afterwards did Aberdeen play at anything like the same level. The sides were equal, with a goal each, at the interval, which was a fair reflex of the play. After crossing over, however, there was no comparison between the sides. The Thistle forwards had many brilliant runs, and were continually harassing the opposing defence. They scored on other two occasions, but it would have been no more than they deserved had they found the net oftener. Aberdeen's defence was not nearly so steady as usual, and the efforts of the forwards to pierce the Thistle defence were half-hearted in the extreme.


Aberdeen were early defending, and Greig fisted away from a corner before Gardner shot wildly past. This was followed by spirited runs by Steele and Elmore, but the latter's shooting was at fault. Raisbeck had a great drive, which pleased past the outside of the upright, and then at the other end McIntosh had a shot similarly directed. A hot pace was maintained, and with both sets of forwards opening up the game and nicely, the spectators were kept enthusiastic. Aberdeen opened the scoring. The whole forward line carried the ball along the field, and after the sphere had passed from Lennie to Wood and Main, Soye got possession, and returned to McIntosh, that player deftly turned it into the net. Aberdeen played sparkling football after this, and the Thistle goal had several narrow escapes, and likely shots from Soye, McIntosh, and Main just missed by short margins. After a time, Thistle came more into the game, and Greig effected some brilliant clearing. In a hot attack, Hume fisted the ball inside the penalty area. Greig saved Bulloch's shot, but accidentally threw the ball into the net, thinking he was put in it behind. After this, Thistle played strongly, and, although both goalkeepers were kept in the danger zone, the Aberdeen custodian had by far the more anxious time. Taking the ups and downs of the period, the half-time score flattered neither side.


There was a different story to tell in the second period, when the Aberdeen defence were at their wits' end to keep out the eager Thistle team, this half-backs and forwards played a delightfully free game, which completely demoralised the opposition. Both the extreme and wingers repeatedly sent over ideal crosses, but weakness at close-quarters kept the score from rising. As it was, Greig had to fist away and field many dangerous balls before the first counting shot of the period came, while he had quite a long succession of goal kicks. Thistle's second goal came as the result of a cross from Steele. He sent well over the Aberdeen goalmouth, and Greig attempted to fist away, but could not reach the ball. Several Aberdeen heads also tried to clear, but failed, and the ball going to Coham, that player put it through. Maintaining the pressure, thistle overwhelm the Aberdeen defence, and it was all odds on their scoring again. Try as they might, the Aberdeen forwards could not resolve run, and it was a long time ere they were able to get over midfield. When the date, they muddled badly, and lacked a good leader. Main was repeatedly at fault in the centre, and seldom parted with the ball to the advantage of his colleagues. Partick's third and last goal came as the result of a scrimmage. The visiting defence blocked a shot from Coham, and before it could be cleared, Elmore had followed up and netted. Thistle finished the game with 10 men, Raisbeck having to be assisted off as the result of a leg injury. Aberdeen improved slightly in the closing stages, when, following a cross by Soye, Main sent wide. All over, the period was one sided. Aberdeen were mastered in every department, and were fortunate as not to suffer a heavier defeat.
Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Campbell; McKenzie, Bulloch; Wilson, Raisbeck, Hamilton; Steel, Elmore, Marshall, Gardiner, Coham
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, McIntosh, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Lyon, Hamilton
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries