Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 3 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup First Round
St. Mirren scorers: Magner, Callaghan, Magner
Aberdeen scorers: Wyllie (Pen), Wood, Soye.

27/01/1912 | KO:

Love Street Thrills

At Paisley, in presence of an attendance of about 16,000. Immediately on the kick-off St Mirren came into the game with a great rush. One of the visitors fouled the ball, and a penalty was given. Reid took the kick, but the shot passed wildly. Two minutes later Aberdeen got a penalty at the other end, and this time no mistake was made. Wyllie having no difficulty in placing the ball past Duncan. Notwithstanding this reverse, St Mirren renewed their pressure, and Magner, the new centre, put the teams on level terms. He was soon again in front of Greig, and sent the ball flying against the crossbar. Callaghan, who was lying handy, picked it up, and shot the ball past Greig. The interval was reached without further scoring. St Mirren leading by two goals to one.
In the second half, St Mirren gave practically a repetition of their play in the first half. They were early aggressive, and again and again in front of the Aberdeen goal, but they threw numerous chances away, and the stalwart defenders of the visitors did not hesitate to use their strength at close quarters when the Saints were dangerous. After withstanding a twenty minutes' siege, the Aberdeen men rushed to the other end. Reid cleared the attack, but a swinging shot from Wood from thirty yards out beat the Paisley custodian, and once more brought the teams level. Aberdeen then came into the game more prominently, and a leading goal got by Soye seemed to place the issue beyond doubt, for the home team were becoming erratic. The position remained thus until a minute or so from time, when a last desperate attack was made on the Aberdeen stronghold. To shake it off a corner was conceded. Husband placed finely, and amidst a scene of great enthusiasm, Magner headed the ball into the net. The match thus ended in a draw - three goals each.

Source: The Scotsman, 29th January 1912

The 16,000 spectators who attended the Aberdeen-Saint Mirren match had plenty to enthuse over during the game, which saw the teams level three all at the close. It was in every respect a remarkable game, and the result please everyone, although the slightest accident would have brought down the balance to either side. There was not a single dull moment from start to finish, and the pace maintained was extraordinarily fast. Both teams at the close were completely done up, and glad when the whistle blew the cessation of hostilities. The finish was as dramatic as the start, and the intervening periods were brimful of exciting incidents, which kept the spectators on tip-toe with excitement. The play started with Saint Mirren playing in great style. A penalty was given against Aberdeen at the start, but reed, who took the kick, sent wildly past. Afterwards Saint Mirren continued to press, but the scene was suddenly changed. Aberdeen had their first run up. Main was fouled in the penalty area, and Wyllie beat Duncan with a lightning shot from the consequent award. Saint Mirren continued to be the aggressors, and after many exciting incidents in front of the Aberdeen goal Magner headed through. Except for a few spontaneous rushes by the Aberdeen forwards, Saint Mirren continued to monopolize the pressure, and Callaghan scored, the ball just going over the goal line and no more.


There was a transformation in the play of the Aberdonians in the second half. Lashing the ball well ahead, the Pittodrie defence enabled their forwards to get going. Main was stopped by Reid when he was all but through, then Wood scored a beautiful goal with a 30 yards' drive. On level terms, Aberdeen hammered away for the leading goal, and got that. Wood and Lennie forced a corner, and from the kick Soye headed past Duncan. Subsequently Aberdeen held their own, although the home side played with great desperation. In the last minute of the game husband secured a corner off Colman, and from this Magner headed the equalising goal. Before the ball could be replaced and the centre, the final whistle had gone, thus ending one of the most thrilling games ever seen at Love Street. There was a remarkable scene after the close. The field was invaded by the crowd, and Magner carried triumphantly from the field. The replay will take place at Pittodrie on Saturday.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 29th January 1912

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Duncan; Reid, White; McDonald, Duff, Weir; Callaghan, Kyle, Magner, Milne, Husband
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, Walker, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Referee: Mr. A. A. Jackson, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead