Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Armadale

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Armadale

Scottish Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Lennie 3, Wyllie 33, Wood 53.

17/02/1912 | KO:

Aberdeen's Walkover

Scottish Cup tie, second round, at Aberdeen. Armadale made their debut as opponents of Aberdeen and got a rousing reception from fully 7000 spectators. The homesters defended the city end, and at once hemmed in the Armadale men, who during the first period were seldom near Greig. Lennie headed the first goal from a characteristic centre by Soye, after two minutes' play. Haddow gave the home defence a fright, and had the hardest of luck in failing to equalise, the upright alone saving Greig's charge. The Armadale winger was loudly cheered for his try. There were several exciting passage near the visitors' goal, but the defence survived, until Wyllie from a free kick beat Black with a terrific drive. This was clearly not a scoring period for the Dons, who shot wretchedly.
Soye was absent during the second period, but this did not minimise the home side's superiority, although he had given a spanking display in the first half. Armadale seemed more aggressive this period, but after Wood hooked number three past Black's eager fingers, the Dons never looked back. Temper began to be shown, and the referee had to caution several of the visiting players, but the fault was not all on the visitors' side. The temper shown by the Armadale men did not improve their play, and the homesters with their comfortable lead took things easy. The hostility did not improve, and eventually Rankine got his marching orders. Davidson skimmed the bar with a lightning shot. Aberdeen won easily by three goals to nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 19th February 1912

Armadale, on their own pitch, might have caused Aberdeen some anxiety, and their tactics in the closing stages indicated that in some respects they would have been troublesome, but that Pittodrie they offered a most feeble resistance, and, to those who did not see the match, are flattered by the 3-0 defeat. Aberdeen were never really stretched at any time in the course of the afternoon, and even with only for forwards in the second period, were seldom out of the visitors' territory. Once only did the Miners look like scoring, when Haddow, after smart dribbling, had one of the shots of the afternoon. The post saved what would otherwise have been the equaliser, which, however, would likely have done Armadale little good. The chances are that it would only have made Aberdeen a little more earnest in the scoring line.
The game itself calls for little description. There was only one team really in it. Lennie headed through one of Soye's inimitable crosses within 3 minutes from the start. Aberdeen indulged to their heart's content in playing to the gallery, and did everything but score for the next half-hour, until Wyllie turned a free-kick to account with are rare drive from the penalty line. Some time before that Haddow had made the effort already referred to. The visitors offered a robust defence, but of luck they had not a little, and they were fortunate to be only two points behind at the interval. Much the same story had to be told of the second period, but must be conceded that Hannah and Hume did get a little more to do. Wood hooked through a third goal for Aberdeen 8 minutes after the resumption, and evening no desire to do more than keep the leather in the Armadale portion of the field, the Pittodrie players won in the proverbial counter. Soye never returned to the field after half-time.
The tricky play of the four home forwards worried the opposition of Bett, and was the means of infusing a regrettable spirit into the game. Main's bustling tactics did not go down well with the Miners either, and the feeling manifested two wards and ended in Rankine, the centre half, being ordered to the pavilion 10 minutes from the close. It was unfortunate, but not in the least surprising considering what had been going on for some time before. Much there was disagreeable was evident in the last half-hour, and no one was sorry when the whistle finished hostilities - perhaps the best word to apply to the later stages. Black, the goalkeeper, with his backs, Easton and Ballantyne, the former a player of first-class experience on both sides of the border, though overshadowed by his partner on Saturday, were the outstanding Armadale men. Menzies, Scotland's centre forward of six years ago, was only occasionally seen. Most of what he did was wasted by his colleagues. Aberdeen need not be individualized. It must have on their shooting bouts this Saturday.

About 7000 attended the match.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 19th February 1912

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Hannah, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, Walker, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Armadale Teamsheet
Black; Easton, Ballantyne; Scott, Rankine, Blair; Johnstone, Menzies, Sangster, Waugh, Haddow   Rankine
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. A. Allan, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead