Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Morton

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Morton

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Soye.
Morton scorers: Chalmers

06/04/1912 | KO:

Extraordinary Game at Pittodrie - Player's Arm Broken

At Pittodrie. For the fourth successive Saturday Aberdeen's League team were at home. Morton providing the opposition. A strong gale swept the pitch, and it was found necessary to utilise three balls to save time. Playing with the wind, Aberdeen got a goal through Soye, which was the only scoring during the first half. On resuming, Chalmers speedily secured the equaliser from a pretty bit of work. Fulton thereafter had the misfortune to sustain a fracture of his left fore-arm, as a result of an awkward fall. Aberdeen defended well. Result:- One goal each.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th April 1912

There was a peculiar game at Pittodrie, where, in a perfect gale, Aberdeen and Greenock Morton shared the points by a draw of one goal each. About 3000 witnessed a game which was completely spoiled by wind and blowing sand. At times the sand clouds completely obliterated the players from view, while in the case of the side playing against the wind the game was one continuous procession of corner kicks and goal kicks. No fewer than three balls were in use, and at one time all three were out of the ground, and the game was delayed several minutes. It was not a day for football, the wind rendering the control of the sphere impossible. In the course of the second half Fulton, the left back of the visiting team, had the misfortune to sustain a fracture of the left forearm, as the result of a fall. He was assisted to the pavilion, where Dr. Ellis Milne attended to the injury.

Prominent absentees from the team were Colman, Aberdeen, and O'Hagan, Morton. Aberdeen won the toss, and had the advantage of the gale in the first half. In that period they seldom left the Greenock goal, but a resolute defence will post to them, and failure by themselves to utilize the wind two advantage, so the Morton citadel holdout till the closing minutes of the half. Then Soye, well over on the left, sent in a shot which the visitors' goalkeeper allowed to slip between his legs into the net. Corner after corner fell to Aberdeen, and although they came near to scoring on several occasions, they had to be content with their solitary goal lead at the interval.


The state of matters was exactly reversed in the second half, when with the wind behind and Morton did all the attacking work. In 5 minutes they were on level terms through a ground shot by Chalmers. Then they applied very severe pressure, but, just as Aberdeen had done, the experienced great difficulty in gauging the wind. Inspected numerous narrow escapes of the home goal there was no further scoring, and the game ended in a draw of one goal. There were many amusing incidents in the course of the game eccentricities of the wind playing havoc with the spectators' headgear. Under the circumstances football was out of the question, and the game was what the conditions made it wretched.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 8th April 1912

Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Hannah, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, Walker, McIntosh, Neilson, Wood.
Morton Teamsheet
Bradford; Craig, Fulton; Wright, Stark, May; Torrance, Bolton, Chalmers, Robertson, Lindsay
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen