Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 3 Rangers

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Main.
Rangers scorers: Reid, Brown, Reid

05/10/1912 | KO:

A crowd of 20,000 spectators assembled at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, to witness this fixture. Unfortunately, in the first quarter of an hour's play, which had been evenly contested, two Aberdeen players, Hume and Walker, collided. Hume had to be carried off the field with blood oozing from a nasty head wound in his forehead, and Walker also retired for about ten minutes, the local club playing two men short. Aberdeen, despite their ill luck, played a plucky game, and Walker came back to the field in time to see his side open the scoring. Hume came back later with his head bandaged, but neither of the players was of much service to his side. Rangers equalised against the ten players, and added another goal close on half time. On resuming, Reid tried a long shot, which King stopped, but he did not put enough of force into his save, and the ball screwed from the ground into the net. Result:- Rangers, 3; Aberdeen, 1.

Source: The Scotsman, 7th October 1912

The largest crowd of the season - about 20,000 - saw aberdeen's sustain a 3-1 defeat from Rangers in a Scottish League match at Pittodrie on Saturday afternoon. The result was by no means a criterion of the run of the play, as in that respect the losers fully held their own, has so far as aggressiveness went actually deserved to win. The victory of the Rangers was directly attributed to an unfortunate accident which robbed Aberdeen of the services of both Hume and Wilson for a time, the first named, indeed, being absent for the greater part of the game, and while he remained on the field he was of little assistance to his colleagues. In the first 5 minutes to players collided with great violence, and sustained head injuries, indeed, so bad were they in the case of Hume, but his wound had to be stitched. With nine players Aberdeen held their own for a time, and after a fine run by the left wing Main scored amidst great enthusiasm. Wilson returned, but this game was much affected by his injury, and after fine work by Bennett and Reid, the latter equalised. Play continued to be strenuously and evenly contested, but before the interval, and following the return of Hume, Hogg tricked the back and squared. King in attempting to save fell and boarded the ball to Brown's feat, the winger having no difficulty in netting, and Rangers sled and half-time by 2-1.

Rangers were again dangerous of the restart, and a bad mistake by the home goalkeeper so Rangers increased their lead as the result of a long shot by Reid. Hume left afield for good just after this, and Aberdeen, with 10 men, took up the running. Travers and Walker changed places, and the home team attacked with great vigour. In the outfield they easily had the better of the opposition, but try as they might they simply could not score. In the later stages Lock effected some brilliant clearances, notably from Lennie and Davidson, when the fagged all attempts to beat him. At times a robust element was introduced into the play, the Rangers being the greater offenders. The large crowd was greatly disappointed at the failure of the home side, but all were ready to admit the players had encountered rank bad luck.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 7th October 1912

Rangers Teamsheet
Lock; Gordon, Robertson; Galt, Logan, Hendry; Hogg, Bowie, Reid, Bennett, Brown
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. R. J. Kelso, Hamilton
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen