Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Wood.

01/01/1913 | KO:

This match was played at Aberdeen yesterday in dry, bright weather, and before 10,000 spectators. The Aberdeen team was rearranged in practically every line. Aberdeen made a mediocre start, the efforts of the forward line being ineffective. King returned one or two good shots. Aberdeen, especially during the latter part of the first period of the game, made a wonderful improvement. Wood and Lennie were particularly prominent, the former having sent in two or three shots which almost landed in the net. From a pass from Milne, Wood secured a goal. A minute later R. C. Hamilton sent in a low, swift shot, which King saved. Half-time:- Aberdeen, 1 goal; Dundee, 0.
In the second half King saved two brilliant shots from Tait and McIntosh. Wood's inclusion as inside left was fully justified. The quality of the football was not of a high order, but it was vigorous throughout. Dundee's half-back line was thoroughly efficient. Milne was not prominent. He was completely overshadowed by McIntosh. Colman in defence was very strong in the second half. On the whole, Aberdeen deserved their victory, but Dundee had decidedly bad luck in not having equalised. The Dundee forwards were weak in the goal-mouth. Final result:- Aberdeen, 1 goal; Dundee, 0.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd January 1913

In a Scottish League match at Pittodrie yesterday before fully 10,000 spectators, Aberdeen defeated Dundee by the only goal of the match, and thereby established a record by taking four points off the Dens Park club in one season.

Dundee kicked off, and following upon the start good feeding work by Wilson saw Wood pass out to Lennie, but the winger did not get up in time. This was succeeded by a smart run by Steven, but King ran out and cleared his cross. Dundee continued to be dangerous, and Hannah tackled Walker in great style. The Taysiders remained on the aggressive, and Hamilton was sent past after being tackled by Colman. Clever work by Davidson saw H. Murray set off, but his pass to the centre was sent far beyond Milne's reach. Aberdeen could not get away, and following upon a touch, Hume gave the visitors the first corner of the match. The kick was well taken by Wyllie, and although Hannah got away the immediate danger, Aberdeen could not shake off the opposition.
The home defence was kept busy, and there was a pretty combined movement between Hamilton and Macfarlane, but it came to grief in contact with Hume. Aberdeen's first really dangerous effort came from a run by Milne and Wood, but the latter was blocked in the act of shooting. This was succeeded by another Dundee invasion through Steven, but Hume cleared. Aberdeen got their first corner forced by Milne from McIntosh, but nothing came of it.
The best shot of the game so far came from the famous R. C. Hamilton. He let drive from outside the penalty area, but his efforts sword over the bar. The game continued to be evenly contested, and raid was met with raid. Milne shown in a headlong rush on the Dundee defence, and wood had a very creditable try after Lennie had crossed. Aberdeen were not long allowed to keep the mastery, and walker had the home defence again in difficulties before McFarlane secured another fruitless corner from Colman. Dundee in front and in the rear were very nippy on the ball, and their movements were much quicker and effective than those of the home team. Milne was always ready and willing to raise the siege for Aberdeen, and on one occasion his impetuosity got the better of him and he was penalized for hands. Move from a long pass forward by Hume, travers had a first-time effort for Aberdeen, but the ball went wide. Both defences were keen, but once through Davidson missing, Dundee should have improved upon a finding ground cross by Wyllie, which Walker, Hamilton, and Macfarlane, besides the Aberdeen half-back, failed to get hold off.


When Aberdeen made up their minds they were really dangerous. Travers and Milne unsuccessfully tried to rush the Dundee defence, and Wood followed this up with a clever drive over the bar. He followed this up shortly afterwards with a similar effort, and had hard luck in not opening the score. Aberdeen continued to show a forward improvement, and Lennie, being well plied with the ball, did not disappoint, and Dundee were in a bad corner until Aitken cleared with a long kick. Wood showed up well in some clever dribbles, and Milne was filed when running in for goal. Nothing came of the "free."
Woods reward came in due course. He took the ball cleverly from McIntosh, and gave to Milne. The centre returned, and Wood running in, gave Lyall no chance with a ground shot. One of the linesmen drew the referee's attention to an alleged previous infringement, but amidst tumultuous applause, the referee allowed the goal.
The goal for Aberdeen was followed by a truly miraculous save by King, who alone prevented Dundee from equalising. Hamilton beaten back in the penalty area, and was in the act of shooting when King threw himself at the forward's feet, a smothering the shot, took the ball with him. It was a daring and wonderful save, and well deserved the thunderous plaudits which followed. After this play was of a ding-dong nature, with both sides very keen. Hume gave away a corner, but nothing resulted, and Aberdeen played well to keep their lead. Near goal the Dundee forwards were not too accurate, and once walker sent wildly past when favourably placed. As the interval approached Aberdeen more than held their own, and deserve their lead.

On the resumption, Walker essayed a shot for Dundee, and King had some difficulty in saving. For a fairly lengthy period, Dundee applied the pressure, and Tait had a shot which beat King, but the ball hit the upright to rebound into play for Hannah to clear. This was aberdeen's narrowest escape, and it was the nearest that Dundee came to equalising. Milne threatened on several occasions, but was held well in check by McIntosh and Lawson. Wood let Lennie away in clever style, but the wingers cross was diverted by Aitken. Dundee were persistent in their efforts to get level, and King executed a very clever save from a long drive by McIntosh. An Aberdeen revival followed, and Lyall had to save a high ball from Davidson, while a cross from Lennie caused some trouble to the Dundee defence. After this the home defenders were hard pressed, and Hannah showed up well in a brilliant tackle and clearance, outwitting two men in the deal. There was a brief stop rich until the referee inquired into an altercation between Milne and Lawson. And Lyall's end Lennie got over a great cross, and after Murray and Milne had each hit the first time, Lawson effected a timely clearance. The free-kick on the touch line was badly placed by Davidson, and the game ended with Wylie and Lennie having tries at the respective ends. On the whole a draw would have been a fitting result of the game, that as it was the score was Aberdeen 1, Dundee 0.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd January 1913

Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hannah, Davidson, Hume, Wilson, Murray, Travers, Milne, Wood, Lennie.
Dundee Teamsheet
Lyell; Lawson, Aitken; Tait, McIntosh, Johnston; Wylie, Walker, R. C. Hamilton, Macfarlane, Steven
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. G. Hamilton, Motherwell