Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Raith Rovers 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Raith Rovers 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

04/01/1913 | KO:

Another Point for Aberdeen - Defence Again the Mainstay

Close on 10,000 spectators saw a stirring game at Starks Park, Kirkcaldy, the outcome being a draw. The opening exchanges were fairly equal, both custodians having plenty to do, but eventually the Rovers settled down, and, playing pretty football, they often put the Aberdeen defence in a tight corner. Several of their tries were well worth a goal, but King was not easily mastered, albeit he was a trifle lucky in disposing of great attempts by Hope and Graham. Both sides were well served by their defences. Philip and Cumming especially shining. In the second half, the Raith men were superior to their opponents. They were never far away from King's charge, but in the absence of a goal-getting centre, could not thrust their attack home. The Aberdeen custodian had shots to deal with from all quarters, but none was sufficiently hard to get past him. Macleod in the second half was a looker-on, handling the ball no more than half-a-dozen times. Aberdeen were decidedly lucky to take away a point. Result:- No Scoring.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th January 1913

By sharing in a goalless draw with Raith Rovers at Kirkcaldy on Saturday, and thereby annexing a Scottish League point, Aberdeen continued their improvement since the New Year. All things considered, Aberdeen were lucky to be on equal terms at the close, their defence had much more work to do than that of the Rovers, and, while Aberdeen also lost chances, the home team were the greater sinners in that respect. Fully 8000 witnessed what was always a keenly-contested game, and, although the Rovers pressed for about two-thirds of the game, the Aberdeen defence, especially the backs and goalkeeper, were always a strong and reliable force.

Rovers opened in dashing style, and King had early to run out and brilliantly stop J. Gibson, who had beaten the backs. Refusing to be shaken off, the Rovers maintained pressure, and Hope twice missed. Aberdeen took a long time to settle down, but once they did they gave of a very finished display. The forwards, and especially Travers, played a much more open game than that of the homesters. Soye, too, sent the ball several times dangerously across the goalmouth, and with end to end play it was odds on either side opening the scoring. One of the best chances of the game came along when McLeod diverted a shot by Milne, and Soye catching on sent the ball over the bar although only a short distance from goal. Soye, Murray, Wilson, Hannah, Travers, and Wood, all had shots for Aberdeen, but these either went wide or were saved by McLeod. King, too, had much to do. Cranston, the home outside tight, sent over some brilliant crosses, but these were cleared by the Pittodrie defence. Play was very fast up till the interval, when no score was recorded.


The Aberdeen attack was not nearly so much in evidence in the second half, when a great struggle was seen between the home forwards and the visiting defence. Time and again Cranston and Graham swept past the half-backs only to be foiled by the backs or the goalkeeper, or by their own wretched finishing. Quite a number of likely shots were luckily blocked, and twice in particular King reached the ball when all appeared lost. Rovers were weakly served at centre-forward. There J. Gibson had many fine chances, but he never proved equal to the task. Only occasionally did Aberdeen get off, and then their work was very disjointed. Soye on several occasions got over good balls, but Aberdeen never were so dangerous as the home lot. Corners fell to both sides, but neither could improve upon these.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 6th January 1913

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Macleod; Philip, Cumming; Logan, Morrison, Anderson; Cranston, Hope, J. Gibson, Graham, F. Gibson
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Hannah, McConnell, Soye, Travers, Milne, Wood, Murray.
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy
Referee: Sergeant-Major Vick, Hamilton
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead