Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
St. Mirren scorers: Hume (o.g.), Magner (pen.)
Aberdeen scorers: Main, Travers.

11/01/1913 | KO:

Aberdeen Plucky

At Love Street, Paisley, before 5000 spectators. Considering the trying conditions under which the players were asked to operate the game reflected great credit on the participants. While no fewer than four goals were secured, it must be admitted that all of them were of the lucky order, due entirely to the insecure footing. The forwards on both sides early in the game showed clever touches, and against a heavy defence Aberdeen were seen to more advantage than the home lot. A clever move on the right resulted in the first goal, Main scoring for Aberdeen. St Mirren, even against the wind, contested every inch of the ground, to such purpose did their forwards harass the defence that King had fully more to do than O'Hagan. At the same time both keepers had their work cut out for them, and they did well. Although St Mirren tried hard to equalise, the teams crossed with Aberdeen leading by one goal. With the wind at their backs, the home lot restarted eagerly, and a shot from Elmore cannoned off Hume's foot and into the net. This was followed by a persistent attack by the home men, and Hume gave away a penalty, which Magner converted. Still the elusive movement of the visitors always seemed dangerous, and shortly before time Travers netted a soft goal as the equaliser. The final minutes saw the visitors in dangerous proximity to O'Hagan, but time was called with a drawn game.

Source: The Scotsman, 13th January 1913

Aberdeen's match with St Mirren at Paisley was played in a blizzard, yet about 4000 saw a hard struggle for supremacy. Each side got two goals, and, all things considered, the result did no injustice to either. The ground and conditions were wretched for football, and the players had difficulty in keeping their feet. For all that, they never spared themselves, and the play was as strenuous as anything could be. Under the circumstances it was not surprising that there should have been misjudgements, yet, bad though the conditions were, this scarcely excused the amount of missing and eccentric shooting on the part of both sets of forwards. St Mirren were much the greater sinners, and therefore the biggest losers, in this respect, and it is safe to say that had their forwards taken their chances the home team must have won by a fair margin of goals. As it was, they were extremely fortunate to get their points in the fashion they did. Aberdeen's two goals had much more merit about them than those which fell to the home team. St Mirren's first goal came from a mistake by Hume, who put through his own goal, and the second was the result of a doubtful penalty-kick given against McConnell.
Aberdeen who had the blizzard behind them in the first half, took a long time to settle down, and, indeed, had it not been for the brilliance of King, St Mirren must have scored first. As it was, they did not, but this was not the fault of Magner, nor of Borden, both of whom had brilliant tries, which the custodian saved. Kyle and Elmore, especially the latter, missed some favourable chances of scoring, and King had also to save from McGregor, who played a rare forcing game for the Saints in the first half. Aberdeen's first goal came after Soye had shot; the ball struck a defender and, going to Mair, that player easily beat O'Hagan. After that, Aberdeen played much better, and while O'Hagan had to clear from Lennie, Mair and Travers, the Pittodrie forwards did not impress at goalmouth.

With the blizzard they had to face in the second half Aberdeen's solitary goal did not look very formidable. The Saints' forwards hammered away at the Aberdeen goal, but they met a resolute defence, while, as in the first half, they finished badly. They got the equaliser when Hume diverted a ball from Kyle into the net. After this, the home team only managed to hold their own, but they took the lead following upon a rush by the right wing. It was alleged that McConnell handled inside the penalty area, and Magner, taking the kick, put them ahead. Aberdeen played up strongly after this, and O'Hagan was kept busy. Ultimately, from a weak clearance by the custodian, Soye got possession, and giving to Travers, that player put the teams level. Aberdeen were the superior side in the closing stages, when they came near to taking the lead, but the game ended with each side claiming two goals.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 13th January 1913

St. Mirren Teamsheet
O'Hagan; Reid, White; Pearson, Burden, Stevenson; Gray, Magner, Elmore, Kyle, McGregor
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wilson, McConnell, Soye, Travers, Milne, Main, Lennie.
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead