Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Main, Wood.

22/02/1913 | KO:

More Points for Aberdeen - Wood's Brilliant Goal

There were 10,000 spectators at Pittodrie. Aberdeen defeated Third Lanark by 2 goals to 0. Play generally seldom reached a high standard, and on the whole Aberdeen were somewhat lucky to win by so large a margin. The visitors had quite as much of the play, but their finishing was weak. For the first half hour Third Lanark were the superior team, and missed several chances. Aberdeen improved later, and only the brilliance of Brownlie and his backs kept them from scoring. At the interval there were no goals. On the resumption, Main burst through and scored for Aberdeen. After that Third Lanark played desperately for the equaliser, and only the sterling play of Colman and King denied them. Each goal was visited in turn. And near the close Wood caught up a cross from Soye, and scored a second goal for Aberdeen, Brownlie catching but failing to hold the ball.

Source: The Scotsman, 24th February 1913

Ten thousand spectators at Pittodrie saw Aberdeen score their second successive Scottish League victory at home on Saturday. The vanquished on this occasion was Third Lanark, who had been induced to forgo their right to ground advantage, consequent upon the strong counter cup attractions which a league match in Glasgow would have had to combat. Aberdeen only secured their second goal in the last 10 minutes of the game, and until they obtained it the issue hung in the balance even if they were slightly the better team. It was a game in which football never reached a very high standard. Errors and misjudgments were frequent, but there were certain redeeming features which made the play not altogether and attractive to the spectators. Overall, Aberdeen were deserving of victory, but a two-goal margin flattered them somewhat, and the run of play would better have been represented by a 2-1 victory. Aberdeen were the more dangerous near goal, but both sides lost good opportunities of scoring.

Aberdeen opened strongly, and Travers just missed when likely placed. After this Main had a good effort which went wide, and then Soye shot over with Brownlie out of his goal. These were the opening incidents, and they favoured Aberdeen, but once the visitors got agoing they kept the home defence busy. Hannah, their left half, shot wildly over, and then Anderson repeated the error with only King to beat. The Third Lanark kept up the attack, and Whittle, Anderson, and Spiers all had the home goal in difficulties. Colman showed up well in defence, and he interrupted several likely movements. Only occasionally did Aberdeen threatened at this stage, and for a long time it was all odds on the visitors opening the scoring. Spiers once burst through, but Colman recovered, and several good crosses by Whittle were cleared by the home defence. After withstanding severe pressure, Aberdeen revived in the latter period of the half, and, coming away strongly, but put the Cathkin defence to the test. Travers had a lovely drive, which just missed, and after main had shot, Scorgie dispossessed Brownlie, Wood sending the ball against an opponent. After this score be sent over a low cross, which Main just failed to reach. Keeping on the attack, the Aberdeen forwards severely tested Brownlie, who was seen in his best form. Although they peppered at the Cathkin goal, Aberdeen could not score, and at the interval there were no goals.


There was a sensational restart. Travers placed the ball nicely to Main, who beat the backs and Brownlie in a race, and landed the ball in the net. After this Aberdeen again relax their efforts, and Third Lanark on several occasions came near to securing the equaliser. Colman and King were both brilliant in defence. Twice King saved when it seemed as if Spiers and Gemmell respectively must have netted. The custodian, running out, threw himself at their feet and cleared. On one occasion he ran out and kicked the ball against Brown, the ball luckily rebounding behind. Play on both sides was over broken nature, and both goals were visited in turn. Once Armstrong cleared below the bar from a corner after Brownlie had left his goal, and on another occasion the back cleared when Brownlie rushed out to field and missed. These incidents helped to make the game interesting, if the play was not brilliant. Scorgie forced the game on the Aberdeen left, and he never gave Brownlie much rope. After King had saved finely from Spiers, Soye got off, and sent over a brilliant centre, which Steele headed to Wood, and that player, taking the ball first time, sent in a terrific shot, which Brownlie Court, but could not hold. The goal proved as a tonic to Aberdeen, and after that they were more in the game, and time arrived with them pressing.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 24th February 1913

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brownlie; Armstrong, Orr; Mainds, Steele, Hannah; Whittle, Gemmel, Spiers, Brown, Anderson
Attendance: 9,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead