Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Main.

19/04/1913 | KO:

Aberdeen Finish Well - Brilliant Goalkeeping by King

At Glasgow, before 8000 spectators. In the opening stages play was even, and the Thistle were the first to have a try for goal, Branscombe's effort just going over the bar. Wood and Lennie, on the Aberdeen left, by fine combination, got within reach of McTurk, and twice he had to save from the outside man. Thereafter the Thistle did all the attacking, but Aberdeen men defended grandly. King was kept busy for Aberdeen. Branscombe and King , the Thistle forwards, both had good tries. Right up to the interval the Thistle had all the game, but failed to open their account. The visitors wakened up after the interval and attacked with great vigour, and although they were often repelled, managed to score, Main being the marksman. This reverse stirred the Thistle, who bombarded the visitors' goal, but weak shooting and a brilliant defence kept them from equalising. Result:- Aberdeen, one goal; Partick Thistle, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st April 1913

Aberdeen were in great form at Firhill Park, Glasgow, om Saturday, when they concluded their Scottish League programme with a victory over Partick Thistle. True, their win was only by the solitary goal of the day, but on play it was nevertheless what they deserved. The team as a whole gave a bright and crisp display far removed from the class of football generally associated with the end of the season. They were much nippier than the Thistle, and accommodated themselves to the circumstances better than did the losers.

There were about 6000 spectators, and the game was played on a ground rendered soft by the rain. In the opening stages the Thistle had the better of the exchanges, but their finishing was wretched. In spite of this, King, Colman, Hume, and Brewster performed deeds of valour in defence. The first thrill was supplied when McTurk allowed a ball from Lennie to drop behind him, but he recovered, and, although the Aberdeen players appealed for a goal, the referee did not allow the claim. Aberdeen's goal also ran a narrow escape. King ran out tto kick clear, but deflected the ball to the foot of McIntyre, who shot before King could get back. In the interval, Hume had gone below the cross-bar, and he effected a sensational clearance. Partick Thistle repeatedly attacked after this, but King defied all their efforts to score. He had one particularly clever save of a volley shot from King, and later he had a wonderful clearance from Branscombe. Colman, Hume, and Brewster were brilliant in the outfield, and it was their efforts in this critical period that saved Aberdeen.


There came a great Aberdeen revival in the second half. The forwards developed a nippiness and accuracy which demoralised the home team, and it was only stout defensive work by Dunsmore and Adams that kept the northern forwards from counting. When Aberdeen did score, the point was well deserved on play. Milne centred across the penalty line, and Main, catching the ball on the run, crashed it past McTurk. Aberdeen had much the better of the exchanges for a time after this, but Partick Thistle rallied. There were several desperate onslaughts on King's charge, but that player continued to show the brilliance of the opening period, and his abilities were seen to advantage in several brilliant clearances. Once Partick came near to equalising, Hume again clearing below the bar. The game was one of the fastest that has been seen at Firhill for some time, and the smart play of Aberdeen was very favourably commented upon by the spectators.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 21st April 1913

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
McTurk; Dunsmore, Adams; Wilson, Raisbeck, Gardner; Morrison, King, Branscombe, Marshall, McIntyre
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Brewster, McConnell, Milne, Travers, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Lyon, Hamilton
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride