Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Falkirk

Div 1 (Old)

13/09/1913 | KO:

A Game of Lost Chances

At Aberdeen, before 4000 spectators. Play throughout was of an exciting nature, and in the first half Falkirk were much the better side. Croal, Robertson, and Meany all had good tries, and Greig had to clear a perfect fusilade of shots. Aberdeen were dangerous on but rare occasions, and once McIntosh missed an open goal, while close upon the interval Robertson had a similar miss for Falkirk. There was no scoring up to half-time. In the second half Aberdeen were seen to better advantage. The forwards repeatedly got to dangerous quarters, but Donaldson and Stewart excelled. The Falkirk goal had many narrow escapes, but the weak finishing of the Aberdeen forwardsaccounted chiefly for the absence of goals. On one occasion MacIntosh missed the ball with an open goal front, and Jack committed a similar mistake for Falkirk. The game ended ina goal-less draw.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th September 1913

A story of chances lost lies between the 0-0 score in the Scottish League game between Aberdeen and Falkirk. The conditions were wretched for football, and considering this and the fact that Aberdeen had been performing so indifferently in the earlier games and were still without a win it was not surprising that the attendance of spectators did not exceed 4000. With the existing conditions good football was neither looked for nor provided, yet the game seldom lacked in incident, and at times the excitement was intense. Reviewing the game, it must be said that Falkirk were flattered by the result, for, although they were the superior side in the first half, they should have been well beaten in the second, for the greater part of which Aberdeen attacked. Both sides missed chances, but particularly Aberdeen, who badly needed the services of a good shot and the center-forward who could clinch matters near goal. Well though the Falkirk defence played during a strenuous second half, they were fortunate to be unbeaten at the end, and it was solely due to Aberdeen's bad finishing that this was so. Aberdeen's play all over was much ahead of that provided at Ibrox the previous week, but there was still a lack of combination, decision, and netted which make for success. In the first half Falkirk were much the superior side, and the work of the half-backs and forwards was far ahead of that of the corresponding divisions in the local side. Like those of Aberdeen later, however, the Brockville forwards were an ineffective force near goal, and although the Aberdeen goalkeeper had quite a lot of work to get through, it cannot be said that his charge was in any real danger unless the two difficult chances which were missed be accepted. In that period Aberdeen were an ill-assaulted lot. Their attacks were spasmodic and EL-sustained, and they were equally ineffective in front of goal, although they were aggressive to a much less extent than Falkirk.
The real feature of the game was Aberdeen's great rally in the second half. Both the half-back and forward divisions showed considerable improvement, and yet there was really little done in the way of combination, the ascendancy being due more to individual that collective effort. At times it appeared that the forwards could do everything but score, and to the supporters of the local club but tantalizing fact was that they failed when to score seemed easiest. Chief honours in the game on the Aberdeen side went to Colman, who was the outstanding player on the field. All three half-backs were but moderate, and forward the best were Soye, they did well in the second half, and walker and McIntosh, although the latter spoilt his good work by his failure near goal. Falkirk were best served by Stewart, who kept goal brilliantly in the second half, Morrison at back, Macdonald at half-back, and McNaught and Croal forward.

Aberdeen kicked off, but Falkirk were first dangerous, and Robertson just missed, his shot striking the side net. Aberdeen attacked for a time, and after Scorgie had shot over the bar, Soye sent over a lovely cross, but McIntosh was offside. Another good cross followed from Soye, but Stewart, running out, beat McIntosh in an exciting struggle for possession. Falkirk thereafter attacked for a spell, and Greig had to clear a number of more or less sting was efforts. Jack tackled Colman and passed to Croal, but Greig smartly held the latter's shot. Following upon another good cross by Jack, Meany should have scored for Falkirk, but he failed to get the proper hold of the ball, and Greig cleared. When Brewster and Hannah missed and Greig failed to gather first time, the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape, but Low came to the relief. Croal and Jack showed pretty work on the Falkirk left, and as a result Croal again tested Greig. At the other end score be sent over a lovely cross, but there was none of his colleagues up to take advantage. Later the same player gave McIntosh a great chance, but the centre muddled badly, when later he fell when a goal seemed imminent. Falkirk came away strongly after this, and following upon a find try by McNaught, Robertson failed to catch on to a good drop centre from the same player. The closing stages were full of incident, but there was no score.


Aberdeen were all bustle on the resumption, and Walker had a really good drive which just went over the bar. Then McIntosh, following upon a pass from Scorgie, got past the defence, but shot wide. There were numerous exciting incidents near the Falkirk goal, and once Stewart lost possession, and Soye catching on drove across and passed an empty goal. Travers wormed through, and was in the act of shooting when Donaldson dispossessed him. The greatest chance Aberdeen had of winning the game came when Soye after racing the defence half the length of the field, and avoiding a challenge by Donaldson, shot inches wide at a time when Stewart was powerless to save. Aberdeen kept up a sustained attack. McIntosh claimed for a penalty against Gibbons, but the referee decided otherwise, and on another occasion the centre had the goal at his mercy, but he was slow to take advantage, and Morrison cleared. Later Soye and McIntosh had a great run down, but Soye sent behind. In these times Falkirk were seldom dangerous, but Meany had a great drive which struck the crossbar, and then close in Jack missed practically an open goal. Ultimately from a breakaway Meany scored, but the previous infringement nullified the point. Aberdeen attacked near the close, but the finished as weekly as before.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 15th September 1912

Falkirk Teamsheet
Stewart; Donaldson, Morrison; McDonald, Gibbons, Reilly; McNaught, Meany, Robertson, Croall, Jack
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. G. H. McKenzie, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead