Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Celtic scorers: Browning, McAtee
Aberdeen scorers: Wood 3.

04/10/1913 | KO:

Brilliant Defence Play

At Celtic Park, Glasgow, before 7000 spectators. Aberdeen opened in promising style, and inside three minutes stood one up. Soye beat McMaster, and crossed the ball to Main, who gave Wood a good opening, which he accepted, Shaw making no attempt to save. The Celts wakened up after this early reverse, and from a cross off McAtee, finally made a good attempt to secure the equaliser, but Greig saved confidently. The home forwards were now showing their true form, McAtee standing out prominently. He had easily the measure of Low, and sent across some lovely balls, but Colman and Hume defended grandly. McAtee was fouled outside the penalty line, and from the free kick Browning equalised after Greig fisted out from Connolly. Near the interval Wilson handled in the dreaded area, but Dodds, who took the place kick, sent feebly past. The Celts were undoubtedly the better side in the second half, and fine work by the left wing resulted in a second goal, McAtee rushing in and netting from Browning's cross. McMenemy was injured, and had to be assisted off the field. In the closing minutes the Celts all but added to their score, Browning striking the upright and Connelly catching the rebound, drove hard for goal but Greig saved brilliantly. Result:- Celtic, two goals; Aberdeen, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th October 1913

Aberdeen made a game fight at Parkhead, Glasgow, on Saturday, when Celtic defeated them narrowly in a Scottish League game by 2 goals to 1. There was no great football shown by either side, but the game was always interesting, and was brimful of incident. It was unfortunate that in the second half Wyllie and McMenemy, while jumping to head a ball, should have accidentally collided with great violence. McMenemy, who was rendered unconscious for some time, sustained a fracture of the collar bone in addition to a severe cut on the head. Wyllie was stunned for a time, but recovered, and, after having a severe cut on his head attended to, he was able to resume and he played pluckily under a severe handicap.


On the run of the game, Celtic fully deserved their victory, but it is doubtful if ever a team got two such fluky goals as fell to their lot. Apart from Matt they had much the better of the play, but for the magnificent defence offered by Greig, Colman, Wilson, and Wyllie the score against Aberdeen must have been much larger. As it was, these players made a grand show. Greig in goal gave a superb exhibition. He never faltered in dealing with very dangerous shots, and his cool, calculating work fully merited the applause of the Parkhead spectators. Colman was easily the best back on the field, and he got through a tremendous amount of work. His tackling and anticipation were alike superb, and even an injury sustained in the second half did not affect his game. Wilson played persistently and well at right half, and was most energetic. Wyllie suffered from his injury, and it's is much for his pluck and enthusiasm that he should have remained on the field under the circumstances. The Pittodrie attack did not play in nearly as well as those mentioned in the defence. They did not combined too well, but were always dangerous on the run. Wood was the cleverest and most effective overall. He scored quite a clever goal, and figured in an incident which, and it succeeded, might have won the game for Aberdeen. This was when the scores were level. Wood received the ball in midfield, and dribbling past Young, Johnston, and McNair in the most brilliant fashion, he was left with only the Celtic goalkeeper to beat. To the chagrin of the Aberdeen supporters, he sent the ball behind. Had he scored at that time, it is questionable if Celtic would ever have recovered, as at the time they were a demoralised side. As it was, Celtic got a goal from a ball that just crossed the line and no more. After that, the Celtic half-backs and forwards assumed the ascendancy, and from then practically until the finish it was a duel between them and the Aberdeen defenders.


Aberdeen won the toss, and 17,000 spectators saw the start. Main let Soye off, and the outside right centered finely, but Wood was given offside. Celtic came into view through McAtee, who dashed past Low and Hume, but Colman cleared. Aberdeen returned to the attack, and Main give nicely to wood, who beat Shaw with a deceptive shot on the run after 3 minutes. A free-kick to Celtic after Gallacher had been fouled threatened danger to Aberdeen, but Colman charged down the shot. Another free kick was cleared by Wyllie, and Main let Soye away. The outside right made ground finely, and Dodds gave away a foolish corner, and McIntosh all but netted with a good head effort. Greig was called upon to make a great double save from Gallacher and Connolly, and then Hume stopped McAtee when further danger threatened. Some good combination by the Aberdeen left wing followed, but Wood shot high. Dodds gave away another corner, but this was cleared, and Colman held up Connolly when the Celtic centre was through, while Wilson stopped Browning in the act of centring. McAtee forced a corner off Hume, and Greig again fisted clear in clever style. Celtic pressed hard after this. Hume stopped the ball right below the bar, but Browning returned it, and although Hume again stopped the shot, the referee, who was in a good position to judge, ruled that the ball was over the line, and gave a goal, although the Aberdeen players protested. Browning forced another corner for Celtic, but Greig cleared brilliantly. Then Wilson handled in the penalty area, but Dodds, who took the kick, sent the ball behind. Johnstone and Connolly both had good shots, which were respectively only slightly high and wide of the mark. As the interval approached, Aberdeen again took up the running. Scorgie centered finely, but Shaw cleared, and then wood served up what was it once the best piece of individual play and the most glaring failure in the match. Receiving the ball at midfield, he dribbled past three opponents, but, with only Shaw to beat, he failed badly, and the greatest chance of the game was lost.


The second half was marked by the regrettable accident to McMenemy and Wyllie, and a great display of goalkeeping by Greig. Aberdeen started off in promising fashion, and Main, rushing in between the backs, had a good shot which went just high. After this Celtic took up the running, and the Aberdeen defence was subjected to a severe gruelling. Colman stopped Connolly when disaster looked imminent, and then Wyllie checked a good combined movement by the whole Celtic forward line. Greig cleared magnificently from McMenemy, and then, rushing out, he fielded fine centres by Browning and McAtee. The Celtic goal had a narrow escape from Scorgie. Shaw left his goal to clear, but failed to retain possession, and Scorgie quipped the ball across an empty goal. Greig again cleared finely from Johnstone, and McAtee sent over some dangerous crosses, which Colman and Wyllie between them got away. After 12 minutes had gone, Browning centered, and Hume, in attempting to clear sent the ball against McAtee, off whom it rolled over the goal line. Celtic nearly increased the lead through Gallacher. He shot in with terrific force, and Greig just managed to divert the ball against the upright with the tips of his fingers. He caught the rebound in clever style and fisted clear. Wylie and McMenemy, in jumping to head the ball in midfield, collided, with the unfortunate results already stated. Each with 10 men, the teams strove hard for the equaliser. Colman was hoped in collision with Gallacher, and although he crippled for a time, he played on pluckily and well. Young thundered in a great shot from long range, but Greig again saved brilliantly, and then he cleared a lightning-like effort from McAtee. Wyllie returned, and although the dressing on his head became on Don and the wound bled profusely, he remained on the field and helped Aberdeen to hold the opposition in check. Greig continued to play finely, and he had another great save from McAtee. Near the close the Aberdeen keeper had two wonderful saves from Gallacher and browning, and a brilliant game ended:-Celtic, 2; Aberdeen, 1.


Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 6th October 1913

Celtic Teamsheet
Shaw; McNair, Dodds; Young, Johnstone, McMaster; McAtee, Gallagher, Connolly, McMenemy, Browning
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Low, Soye, McIntosh, Main, Wood, Scorgie.
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. T. W. Hamilton, Motherwell
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead