Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

The Aberdeen 1 - 5 East End, Dundee

HT Score: The Aberdeen 1 - 2 East End, Dundee

Northern League
The Aberdeen scorers: Whitehead
East End, Dundee scorers: Knowles, Knowles, Knowles, Craik, Gilligan

19/09/1891 | KO: 15:30

At Chanonry the Aberdeen club made their debut in the Northern League, the Dundee East End being their opponents. Delightful weather was experienced, and intense interest was manifested in the game, 3000 spectators, at least, assembling to witness the match. The Dundonians were strongly represented, but on the other hand the homesters were not up to full strength, an unfortunate circumstance seeing the fixture was such an important one.
In the face of a dazzling sun, and shortly after half-past three, the homesters initiated the play. It was at once evident that the game was to be a fast one. Rapidly the ball travelled from goal to goal, and the excitement amongst the spectators ran high. Travelling the length of the field Robison was given a chance to score, but just as he steadied himself Knowles, the East End right half, interfered, and the opportunity was lost. Combination was entirely at a discount, and for a time the play was of an erratic description. Frank Whitehead, however, was playing extraordinarily well on the Aberdeen left, and repeatedly carried the ball into the Whites' territory. Thomson was also working energetically, and with good effect, and Key, despite the fact that Longair continually attended to him, fed his wings with fair accuracy. The East End players did not impress the crowd by their performance. After both goals had underwent furious attacks, Whitehead got off beautifully, and, crossing over with much judgment, the leather was smartly sent through, and a loud cheer greeted the success of the Aberdonians. Nettled at this, the visitors' play increased in roughness, and, despite the ad¬verse criticism of the spectators, they fouled the home eleven repeatedly. Determinedly the Stripes contested every inch of the ground, but ultimately the strangers forced their way north and equalised the game. Shortly afterwards they repeated the performance, and on crossing over the scores were: East-End, 2; Aberdeen, 1.
Aberdeen at once took up the running when the second period was started. For a time they completely confined the play to Dundee territory. Shot after shot was directed at Fotheringham, but the powerful and rather vigorous play of Ramsay and Brown prevented any of the attempts bearing fruit. For at least twenty minutes the Whites were compelled to act on the defensive, and it was really surprising the homesters did not score often. Towards the close of the game the locals appeared to be done up, and, taking advantage of this, the East Enders opened out, and tore through their opponents. Three more goals fell to them, and the Aberdeen failing to improve their position the game ended: East End, 5 ; Aberdeen, 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 21st September 1891

The ground of Chanonry, Aberdeen, was crowded with an enthusiastic gathering to witness the League engagement between the Aberdeen and the Dundee East End. The strangers were without Brown, the gap being filled by Salmond. The Aberdeen, on the other hand, had assistance from the Orion, but Morley was absent. Mr John Cameron (Our Boys, Dundee) was referee. Aberdeen kicked off, and rushed down on Fotheringham, but the ball was smartly returned to the other end. The Aberdeen right wing came away again, and, Salmond, failing to stop them, the ball was sent past Fotheringham. The whites responded heartily, but the long kicking of the home backs fairly put the strangers' forwards out, and but for Longair, Ramsay. Salmond, and Fotheringham several other goals would have been added. Reid, who had been playing outside right for the East End, then went to the centre, and Knowles took up his place on the wing, and shortly after this change had been made the last-named player shot from the wing, the ball bobbing through after striking the crossbar. Play now became fast. A dangerous run by the home left was checked by Webster, who passed to Knowles, and that player breaking away sent in a beautiful shot from the line, which took effect. At half-time the scores stood: East End, 2; Aberdeen, 1.
When the second half opened the strangers' citadel was hotly besieged, but the back division held up well, and Longair, dashing down the field, passed the ball to Gilligan, who in turn crossed to Knowles, and he again scored. The home eleven now wrought hard to make up the leeway, but the strangers settled down, and Craik slipped the sphere through again. Gilligan soon followed with a fifth goal, and the game ended: East End, 5; Aberdeen, 1.

Source: Dundee Courier, 21st September 1891

The first of the series of Northern League matches was opened on Saturday, the contestants being the Aberdeen and the Dundee East-End. The strangers have been showing good form since the season commenced and consequently the win was not unexpected, although the scores were bigger than anticipated; but Saturday's result is no indication of the play, as the Aberdeen men had quite as much of the play as their visitors, although extremely unlucky in goal mouth. The match was billed for 3-30 and about 10 minutes late East-End won the toss and played with the sun at their backs. Key kicked off for Aberdeen, a corner fell to the East End which proved fruitless, and Aberdeen had a splendid run up the field which ended in F. Whitehead scoring the first goal of the match about 10 minutes from the start. East End were putting in all they knew to equalise, and paying great attention to Ritchie in goal, their efforts were ultimately rewarded by a scrimmage, out of which they scored their first goal, followed in a few minutes with another secured from a throw in.

Half-time sounded as the Aberdeen were bearing down on the strangers' citadel, the scores being 2-1 in favour of East End. When the teams reappeared it was seen that the East End were determined on a win, they playing 3 backs, 4 halves, and 3 forwards, until getting three goals, then all their forwards came away in fast style and opening cat put through other two goals, the match ending 5-1 in their favour.


The Whites appeared in red and white stripes on Saturday.
The new colours did not bring luck to them.
The strangers' play was more forcible than scientific, and not at all relished by the home men.
Whitehead was the finest man on the Aberdeen side forward, and Colin Ross at half.
Wood was the better of the two backs.
Ririe got rather too much attention to do anything brilliant.
Mr Cameron (Our Boys) was referee, and knew his business too.
One of the East End backs fisted out as the whistle blew.
All through the display given by the Dundonians was not at all relished by the large crowd.

Source: Northern Figaro, 26th September 1891

The Aberdeen Teamsheet
Ritchie; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, McDonald, Cobban; Robison, Thomson, Key, Sands, Whitehead
East End, Dundee Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Ramsay, Brown; Petrie, Longair, Knowles, Reid, Webster, Craik, Coupar, Gilligan
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr John Cameron, Our Boys, Dundee
Next Match
Ross County
27 Sep 2023 / 19:45 / Victoria Park, Dingwall