Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Raith Rovers

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Raith Rovers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Wyllie 15.

03/01/1914 | KO:

Aberdeen Advance - fast and Good Play at Pittodrie

At Aberdeen before 10,000 spectators. The home side, playing one of their best games of the season, gained another brace of points, although on the run of the play Raith were value for a draw. The Aberdeen forwards were in great form, and fully stretched the Fife defence, in which none did better than Porter, Winning and Anderson. Early in the game Wyllie scored after a corner. The Rovers had many opportunities to equalise, one after another missing easy openings. Play in the second half was keen. Aberdeen kept a good grip of the game, and, while they did not add to their total, they were able to keep out Rovers. Result:- Aberdeen, 1 goal; Raith Rovers, 0.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th January 1914

After the best contested game seen at Pittodrie this season, Aberdeen defeated Raith Rovers by the only goal of the day, and thereby recorded their fourth the Scottish League victory of the season. There were fully 10,000 spectators, a fact which more testimony to the reawakened enthusiasm in Aberdeen after the turn in the tide of the home club's fortunes. On the run of the game, Aberdeen well deserved their victory, although the teams were splendidly matched, and the issue hung in the balance right up to the final whistle. The pace throughout was tremendous, and it was to the credit of both teams that the quality of the football shown was much above the average. Aberdeen won the game in the first half-hour, when the given dashing display, and seemed at times to have the Rovers well beaten. At the end of that period, however, the visitors, whose spontaneous and well-timed rushes had always spelt danger, found their feet, and from then until the end the gave as they got. Two clever attacks were met by equally clever defences, and it was a great tribute to the ability of the latter that no addition was made to the score sheet.
For the second successive match ahead and effort by Wyllie gave Aberdeen the victory, and the value of this players to the Pittodrie team was once again demonstrated. On several occasions previous to his finding the net, Raith Rovers' goal and ran several narrow escapes, just as it did in later, and just as Aberdeen's did.


Rovers deserved every credit for their fine recovery after being apparently so overwhelm in the half-hour during which Aberdeen held the mastery. It was anybody's game from then until the close, although in the later stages Aberdeen's raids looked more dangerous than those of the opposition. The result and the play gave every satisfaction to the crowd, who were delighted with a sporting game provided. It is a long time since an Aberdeen team has shown such decisiveness and freedom of action as they did in the first half-hour. Nor can it be said that they showed any falling off as the game progressed, the levelling up of the play being more due to the improvement of the Rovers. There were some brilliant moves on both sides, and the incisiveness shown by both the tax was calculated to keep the spectators interested throughout. Aberdeen owed their win to their marked superiority in the initial half-hour, for they showed enough in that period to entitle them to a more substantial lead and fell to their lot. Excepting that period of the rovers were quite the equals of the Aberdeen, even although their goal ran more narrow escapes than did that of the home team. There was never any slackening down of the pace, and Aberdeen always strove as hard to increase their lead as the Rovers did to get level.


Aberdeen started promisingly, and Scorgie early failed to improve upon a great cross by Soye. Then walker and Main each shot wide, while Main hit the crossbar, and Wallace and brought off a wonderful save from the same player. Aberdeen had all the best of the exchange's at this stage. Soye sent over some brilliant centres, and from one main, taking the ball on the run, almost scored. Greig school had a narrow escape after a good run by Cranston and Scott, and Martin whipped around a great shot, which just missed its mark. After 15 minutes Wyllie headed through from a well-taken corner by Soye. Aberdeen continued aggressive, but kicks and after a brilliant movement it the Aberdeen crossbar. Rovers' goal had a wonderful escape after this. Main beat Wallace in a race for possession, and passed to Scorgie, who sent wide of an empty goal. Wyllie had another head effort from a corner, and only a great save by Wilson kept the score from accruing. As the interval approached Rovers were seen too much better advantage, and end-to-end runs were the order, but both defences shining.


Scorgie sent the ball against the upright on resuming, but this was only one of a series of exciting incidents in a goalless but eventful period. Aberdeen maintained a persistent pressure for a time, but the defence of the visitors excelled. Twice Travers and Main were well-nigh through, and later Main and Wilson had shots blocked and the goalmouth. Rovers' again came into the picture, and their inside forwards executed some clever movements, which is sound defence nullified. Porter badly fouled Main in midfield, and was cautioned, and later Anderson was lectured by the referee for his treatment of Soye. The rovers goalkeeper excelled in that period, and had many dangerous situations to deal with. Greig, too, was kept busy, but his work was not nearly so arduous as that of Wallace, when one occasion was fortunate to get rid of efforts by Soye and Main. Twice the latter tipped the crossbar with rocket drives. Just as the final whistle went, Aberdeen again netted, but the point was not allowed, and a keen game resulted in a merited and hard-fought-for victory to Aberdeen by the only goal.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 5th January 1914

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hannah, Wilson, Wyllie, Low, Soye, Walker, Main, Travers, Scorgie.
Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Wallace; Winning, Cumming; Rattray, Porter, Anderson; Cranston, Scott, Martin, Waugh, Gibson

Bookings:  Porter
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Tom Robertson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride