Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Wyllie (Pen).

28/02/1914 | KO:

Aberdeen in Luck - A Penalty-Goal Victory

At Firhill Park, Glasgow, before 8000 spectators. Aberdeen started strongly, and Walker, after a fine run, shot into Campbell's hands. The Thistle were soon on terms with Greig, and Marshall had a great drive, which was luckily blocked by Wylie. Branscombe and McTavish were very lively on the home left, and from one of the outside man's crosses Rae struck the bar. Soye sent across a beautiful centre, but Main failed to clinch the opportunity. The ground was heavy, but the game was fast, and the defences were always kept on the move. The Thistle held the upper hand to the interval. On resuming, they attacked strongly, and McTavish was prominent. After beating several opponents he gave Greig a hard shot to hold, and the keeper only cleared at the expense of a corner. Aberdeen broke away, and Soye was fouled inside the penalty area, Wylie converting the plce kick. The Thistle strove hard for the equaliser, but failed to beat Colman and Hannah, who put up a great defence. Result:- Aberdeen, 1 goal; Partick Thistle, 0.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd March 1914

Aberdeen had no cause to complain of ill-luck in their Scottish League match with Partick Thistle at Firhill Park, Glasgow, on Saturday, when they gained a notable victory by the only goal of the game. The weather was wretched, and in consequence of the heavy rain the pitch was sodden and badly suited for play. In spite of the disagreeable conditions, 9000 spectators were present, and they were retailed with a strenuous game brimful of incident and exciting passages, and played at a wonderful pace considering the circumstances. Partick Thistle rested three of their victorious cup tie team, but Aberdeen had out the same side as lost to Saint Mirren. In the first half both goals ran many in narrow escapes, but Aberdeen were fortunate indeed not to be in arrears at the interval, when no scoring had been recorded. In that period both teams were smart and clever in the outfield, but were woefully weak near goal. This was the specially so in the case of the Partick Thistle attack, who on several occasions and the Aberdeen goal at their mercy, but failed to avail themselves of the opportunities. Aberdeen, on the other hand, also had scoring chances, but their misses were scarcely so palpable as those of their opponents. Rae hit the ball against the Aberdeen crossbar, and several times Hynd and Marshall were left with easy chances to score, but their finishing was erratic. The home goal, too, had narrow escapes, although the Aberdeen forwards finished better. There was a ding-dong struggle and the second half.


Each side attacked in turn, but Thistle had by far the greater share of the aggressive work, but Wyllie, Colman, and Hannah put up a brilliant defence. After some exciting exchange's, Branscombe put the ball into the Aberdeen net, and the referee awarded a goal. The Aberdeen players stoutly protested, and it was discovered that the ball had evidently passed through a hole in the net at the back of the post, and the goal was disallowed. Main and Low, on the Aberdeen side, were both injured in collision, and both returned lame after receiving attention. After more Sterling work by the Aberdeen defence, Soye broke away, and was fouled in the penalty area while cutting into goal. A penalty was immediately awarded, and Wyllie, who took the kick, scored from the rebound after Campbell had saved. This was 15 minutes from time, and subsequently Aberdeen played better than ever, Main and Travers having excellent shots saved by Campbell. In the last 10 minutes Branscombe, the Partick left winger, had to retire as the result of a collision with Wyllie, but although handicapped Thistle applied terrific pressure on the Aberdeen defence, who stood up brilliantly. McMullan hit the Aberdeen crossbar with a great drive, but, if somewhat lucky, defence prevailed over attack, and Aberdeen won in sensational fashion.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd March 1914

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Campbell; Adams, McKenzie; Stevenson, Hamilton, McMullan; Rae, Hynd, Marshall, McTavish, Branscombe
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hannah, Wright, Wyllie, Low, Soye, Walker, Main, Travers, Wylie.
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. J. M. Dickson, Glasgow
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen