Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 3 Dundee United

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 2 Dundee United

Scottish Premiership
Dundee United scorers: R Dow 29, G Mackay-Steven 45, C Erskine 90+2.

10/08/2014 | KO: 15:00

Dons suffer Euro Hangover as Utd Score Three

Derek McInnes made two changes with Ashton Taylor and Barry Robson coming in for the suspended Russell Anderson and Jonny Hayes.

The Dons started brightly and could have gone ahead inside the opening ten minutes. Barry Robson swung in a free kick from the right, Taylor flicked it on and it fell to Andrew Considine, but he could only send his volley over Cierzniak's goal.

Just after the quarter of an hour mark David Goodwillie broke free on the right and the former United man fired in a great cross but it was just beyond Considine at the back post.

Barry Robson picked up a knock after nineteen minutes and it looked, at first, that he wouldn't be able to continue but he was able to shrug off the injury.

Another deadball situation presented Taylor with a half chance. McGinn swung in a right footed corner deep to the back post but the big defender could only send his header wide as was put under pressure from Morris.

Moments later Dundee Utd won a corner in front of the South Stand. Aberdeen cleared the danger and McGinn was able to break and he tried to find Robson, who was unmarked wide on the right, but he couldn't get his foot round the ball, as he tried a pass with the outside of his right foot and Cierzniak was able to collect.

Ryan Dow gave the visitors the lead in the twenty sixth minute. Taylor appeared to slip but managed to regain his balance and he tried to send the ball back to Langfield but his pass was just short, Dow intercepted before rounding Langfield and passing the ball into the empty net.

Aberdeen pushed for an equaliser and it looked like they had just on the stroke of half-time. Robson put in a cross from the left hand side and Cierzniak looked caught in two minds what to do; he flapped at the ball sending it into McGinn's path. The Dons striker controlled the ball and fired a shot in at goal but the ball came back off the post and United were able to clear.

The Dons were left to rue this chance as the visitors went straight up the park and scored. Nadir Ciftci won possession inside the Dons half and sent Gary Mackay-Steven through on the right and his angled shot did enough to beat Langfield.


Aberdeen 0-2 Dundee Utd

Aberdeen were on the attack immediately; Peter Pawlett drove at the United defence and Paul Paton took out the midfielder and was promptly shown a yellow card. McGinn took the resulting free kick but again his effort was unable to trouble the United goal as it sailed over the bar.

A minute later the Dons were on the attack again, this time through Goodwillie. His cross from the left found Pawlett; who tried to flick the ball into the net but again United were able to force the ball clear. Dundee United went straight up the park on the counter attack but thankfully Ciftci blazed his shot over the bar.

Aberdeen then had their first penalty appeal of the afternoon. Pawlett drove forward again and his cross was partly cleared but Considine managed to head the ball down into Rooney's path but the Irish man went down under pressure but the referee waved play on.

Ryan Jack created the next Dons chance, he worked a one two with Pawlett at the edge of the area but he couldn't get his left footed shot on target.

Keith Watson was the next United player in the book as Pawlett again caused the visitors problems down the left. McGinn took the resulting free kick, but once again his effort was just too high.

The visitors were now happy to sit back and hit Aberdeen on the counter if the chance occurred. Dow got have his got his second of the day but his strike was wide of Langfield's goal, after the Dons had lost possession in midfield.

Another great run down the left was Pawlett, was matched by his cross as his inch perfect pass found Goodwillie on the edge of the box but unfortunately the Dons striker hesitated and left the ball run on, when it looked the first time shot would have been the better option.

Aberdeen had their second penalty claim of the afternoon turned down. McGinn managed to win the ball back on the byline and prod it into towards Rooney, who managed to get in front of Cierzniak and claimed for a penalty but again the referee waved play on.

Aberdeen's best two chances fell in the dieing moments. First McGinn put Low's excellent cross over the bar and then, moments later, Goodwillie headed over with Cierzniak left stranded.

The visitors killed the game off in stoppage time; Bilate drove towards the Aberdeen goal and Taylor looked to have done enough by forcing him wide but the United sub was able to find Erskine, who made no mistake from twelve yards.

Dundee United Teamsheet
01.Radoslaw Cierzniak, 03.Conor Townsend, 05.Jaroslaw Fojut, 12.Keith Watson, 14.Callum Morris, 06.Paul Paton, 08.John Rankin, 10.Stuart Armstrong (17.Christopher Erskine 54'), 11.Gary Mackay-Steven (19 Mario Bilate 73), 18.Ryan Dow, 07.Nadir Ciftci (Charles Telfer 82). Unused Subs: 09.Brian Graham, 13.Marc McCallum, 23.Scott Smith, 24.Blair Spittal.

Bookings:  06.Paul Paton(46),   12.Keith Watson(61).
Attendance: 16,471
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Willie Collum