Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Low 46, McGinn 66.

30/08/2014 | KO: 15:00

Two Top Finishes Secure Spoils from Thistle

Match summary:

Aberdeen picked up all three points after a fine Pittodrie performance against Partick Thistle. After dominating long spells of the first half, they took the lead just after the break thanks to Nicky Low's curling effort from the edge of the box. Another fantastic strike followed when Niall McGinn fired an effort from the edge of the box over Gallagher and into the net. After that, The Dons created numerous chances but were unable to add to their advantage.

Match Report:

Derek McInnes was forced to make a couple changes to the side. Russell Anderson was unavailable after his operation yesterday so he was replaced by Ashton Taylor. Willo Flood and Jonny Hayes both had fitness tests this morning. Jonny was passed fit but Willo missed out with an injury so Nicky Low came into the side. The Dons lined up with Langfield in goal, Considine at left back, Reynolds and Taylor in central defence with Logan at right back. The midfield was Hayes (on the left), Jack, Low and McGinn (on the right) with Pawlett playing in behind Goodwillie.

The first ten minutes were fairly slow, dominated by slack play by the Dons in the middle of the park. On 10 minutes Stuart Bannigan fired in the first real shot, but Langfield has all his angles worked out and was able to watch the ball go harmlessly wide.

On 15 minutes the Dons for the first time managed to get some width on the ball. Considine played it to Pawlett who down the left played in a good ball which the keeper could not come for and it had to be turned behind.

Aberdeen then won a number of corners as they put some pressure on. After 18 minutes a well worked corner saw Low playing it short before getting the return pass and thenfloating over a good ball. Goodwillie peeled off his marker and was able to direct his header down but Gallacher saved and the ball rebounded off him to safety. Then from another corner Reynolds had an effort cleared off the line and as the defence panicked they failed to clear and the ball fell to Niall McGinn but from a tight angle he hit the side netting. Then on 20 minutes Aberdeen won a free kick in a good area about 25 yards out but Nicky Low, who is normally very good from this range, put the ball into the wall. He would have been disappointed.

Although there was not any goalmouth action in the opening stages, the match was interesting enough. Credit to Thistle who were throwing players forward when the opportunity arose.

On 27 minutes, clever play by Niall McGinn created an opening for the Northern Irishman and he fired it a good shot which produced a decent save by Gallacher. The keeper got slightly lucky fortunate as his parry was not far away from Hayes but he could not quite get on the end of it.

On the half hour mark strong appeals by the Dons for a penalty after Taylor was pulled down by Balatoni. Aberdeen's claims were waved away. Brian Colvin in the end decided both players were tugging at each other.

On 32 minutes Aberdeen should have taken the lead. Low played a good ball to Hayes who was able to put some pace onto the ball. He ran at the defence and waltzed straight passed all of them. Jonny got to the by-line and cut the ball back which was half cleared by a defender, only as far as McGinn and the ball rebounded off him and in the end fell into Gallacher's arms. The ball seemed to hit Niall more than him hitting a shot.

The Dons then forced another couple of corners but even although they appeared to have a distinct height advantage they could not create any chances. Langfield then sliced a clearance but Hayes was on hand to make sure there was no dramas at the back.

On 36 minutes great link up play created another opening. Goodwillie did well, he played it to Pawlett, who found McGinn and he set Logan free down the right. Shay crossed and Gallacher was unable to cut it out but Osman just managed to slice it clear.

There were another couple of half-hearted penalty appeals after hand ball incidents but Colvin correctly waved play on on both occasions.

On 40 minutes good lead up play by Goodwillie put Palwett into space. Some of David's link up play today was excellent. He played in Jack but his shot was off target. The midfielder had options but was entitled to have a shot. Unfortunately it was just not a very good one.

In the closing stages of the half Considine swung over a good cross which produced some good handling by Gallacher. It was not an easy ball to take and two Aberdeen players were waiting to pounce.

HT 0-0

The Dons deserved to be ahead at the break, but they did not have to wait long after half time to take the lead. In the 46 minute Nicky Low, standing just inside the Partick half, did well to anticipate where the ball was going to land. He played it forward to Ryan jack who in turn played it to David Goodwillie who played it back into the path of Nicky. The midfielder had time and space to set his sights and from around 25 yards curled a beautiful left footed shot into the corner of the net away from Gallacher. A really good finish from Nicky.

After that the Dons stepped it up a gear and played some good football. They were well in control however just before the hour mark Higginbotham had a shot which Langfield parried to safety. A fine shot an excellent save. A remind that the game was far from won but it was really all Jamie had to do all afternoon.

On 65 minutes the Dons should have made the game safe. Hayes did really well down the left again and from inside the area he looked up and picked out Pawlettt. Peter just had to pick his shot but had a fresh air shot. A few minutes later Hayes was again the creator and through pass put McGinn in but his first touch let him down which allowed the defender to get back and block his shot.

A couple of seconds later though the game was put out of the reach of Thistle. From a corner the ball was cleared back to Niall McGinn who had taken it. He stepped inside his man and appeared to be shaping for a cross. Instead though he fired a superb left footed shot high into the net and Gallacher could not adjust his feet quick enough to get anywhere near it.

In the 75th minute Jonny Hayes had to go off with a knock. Considering he only just made his game, Jonny put in a great performance. He was replaced by Barry Robson. In the 78th minute Nicky Low was replaced by Cammy Smith. Nicky who was probably the Dons best player this afternoon, was given a standing ovation by the 11,000 or so Red Army.

In the 86th minute Gallacher produced a fantastic save to prevent the Dons getting a third. Robson hit a thunderous free kick from about 30 yards which seemed destined for the net but the keeper somehow got a touch and deflected the ball onto the underside of the crossbar.

A good win, a good performance and two very good goals.

Aberdeen | Jamie Langfield, Shay Logan, Ashton Taylor, Mark Reynolds, Andrew Considine, Ryan Jack, Nicky Low (Smith 78'), Jonny Hayes (Robson 74'), Peter Pawlett (Rooney 87'), Niall McGinn, David Goodwillie

Substitutes not used | Scott Brown, Joe Shaughnessy, Clark Robertson, Scott Wright

Partick Thistle | Gallacher, O'Donnell, Seaborne, Balatoni, Bannigan, Stevenson, Elliott, Higginbotham, Carroll, Osman, Fraser.

Substitutes | Fox, Muirhead, Craigen, Doolan, Lawless, Wilson, Keenan.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Logan, Considine, Taylor, Reynolds, Hayes (Robson 75), Pawlett (Rooney 88), Low (Smith 79), Jack, McGinn, Goodwillie.

Unused Subs: Robertson, Shaughnessy, Wright, Brown.
Partick Thistle Teamsheet
12.Paul Gallacher, 02.Stephen O'Donnell, 03.Daniel Seaborne, 06.Conrad Balatoni (05.Aaron Muirhead 78), 17.Jake Carroll, 08.Stuart Bannigan, 14.Christie Elliott (09.Kris Doolan 62), 15.Kallum Higginbotham, 18.Abdul Osman, 22.Gary Fraser, 10.Ryan Stevenson (11.Steven Lawless 79). Unused Subs: 01.Scott Fox, 07.James Craigen, 23.David Wilson, 30.Dale Keenan.

Bookings:  02.Stephen O'Donnell (31),   15.Kallum Higginbotham (41),   18.Abdul Osman (60).
Attendance: 11,003
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Brian Colvin
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead