Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 2 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Dundee scorers: G Harkins (6), D Clarkson (55 Pen).
Aberdeen scorers: Considine 5, James McPake (OG) 28, Goodwillie 64.

04/10/2014 | KO: 15:00

Another 5 Goal Thriller as Goodwillie Header Secures Win

It was joy for Aberdeen at Dens Park as they claimed all three points after a pulsating match in the city of Discovery
Brief summary:

Aberdeen left Dens Park with all three points after a highly entertaining contest. Andrew Considine gave them the lead after just 5 minutes with a headed goal but the home side responded within a minute thanks to a fine shot from Gary Harkins from 25 yards. James McPake inadvertently turned a Goodwillie cross into his own net (under pressure from Shay Logan) to hand Aberdeen the lead at the break but on 55 minutes The Dark Blues were awarded a penalty which Clarkson scored.

9 minutes later though The Dons got themselves back in the lead, anoter sublime cross from Logan was headed in superbly by David Goodwillie and it was enough to claim all three points as they saw the game out comfotably.
Apologies for the lack of live match stream this afternoon. This was due to problems with the match broadcaster at the ground.

Match Report

Jonny Hayes failed to make the starting XI due to an injury that has been bothering him all week. So Andrew Considine came back into the team and started at left back. The Dons again lined up in a 4-4-2 formation with Rooney and Goodwillie continuing their partnership upfront.

There was quite a start to the match.

The Dons took the game to Dundee early on and opened the scoring after only 4 minutes. David Goodwillie played in a cross from the right which found Andrew Considine unmarked. Andrew was a good distance out and did really well to place his header low into the corner of the net. It really was a good header as he managed to generate a lot of power.

However the Dons lead did not last long.

On 6 minutes Gary Harkins picked the ball up about 25 yards out after a loose pass by the Dons. He looked up a cracked a low shot into the corner of the goal. The ball moved rapidly over the wet surface and Langfield had no chance. It was a very good finish from a player who had a good game today. He looked a constant threat when he picked the ball up in and around the area.

The game continued to flow at an incredible pace. On 7 minutes McGinn picked it up and was able run and get his head up before unleashing a shot which went just past. Then at the other end McAlister was given way too much room but thankfully his shot was straight at Langfield.

There was no let-up in the pace as the ball moved from end to end. Robson played in a free kick which was dangerous but missed everyone, then at the other end Harkins did the same.

Then finally the game calmed down. From 15 to 25 minutes not much happened although after about 20 minutes in Derek McInnes made a tactical switch with the formation changing to a 3-5-2 formation. The back three were Taylor, Considine and Reynolds. That certainly helped the Dons take some kind of control of proceedings. It also allowed Logan to get forward and he was a good outlet as was able to find space on the right hand side and he got forward at every available opportunity. On 26 minutes Robson hit a low free from a good area but the shot was blocked and Dundee cleared.

Then a minute later the Dons regained the lead. McGinn had time and space on the right and his great cross looked at first glance to have been headed in by Logan with a brilliant diving header. On second viewing though it was James McPake who got the final touch, although there was little the defender could do as Logan would have scored had he not got the last touch.

Dundee again very nearly equalised straight away.

On the half hour mark a cross came in the from the left and two Dundee players were inches away from getting a touch, Clarkson the second player coming in was very close. Then three minutes later Dundee came even closer to getting an equaliser. Harkins caused problems again by picking the ball up in a good area. He played in Clarkson whose reverse shot hit the near post.

Both defences were not looking entirely convincing and on 38 minutes Dundee failed to deal with a corner. Taylor put the ball back across goal and Considine got a touch but the ball went agonisingly wide. Then a few minutes later the Dundee defence again failed to deal with a corner and Reynolds coming in at the back post only needed to make better contact and he would have scored.

HT 1-2

Dundee started the second half the better side and on 51 minutes Harkins made a good run into the area but the Dons did just enough to stop his progress. Then two minutes later Dundee were awarded a penalty by Willie Collum. At first it looked like the decision was for handball but it was confirmed afterwards it was actually for a foul by Taylor in the box. It appeared that it was the linesman who gave the decision. It looked harsh whatever it was for! Clarkson took the spot kick and fired it down the middle to put Dundee level again.
The goal lifted the home side and the Dons were on the rack for a few minutes. Considine had to make a good block to prevent any further damage.

Back came the Dons though and on 63 minutes they were ahead for a third time. Robson looked like he had lost possession but did well to recover the situation and play it to Flood. He played it wide to Logan who had acres of space and time. Shay looked up and delivered a good cross and Goodwillie planted a superb header into the net. A great finish from the inform striker.

Two minutes later the game could have been safe when Dundee again failed to deal with a corner from McGinn but Considine could not get a touch. Then on 69 minutes James McAlister hit a low drive which Langfield did well to get his body behind.

Although Dundee were starting to throw bodies forward the Dons still had their chances. On 75 minutes Goodwillie and Rooney combined brilliantly on the edge of the area but Adam just failed to get control of the return pass. If he had he would have been clean through. Then a minute later Goodwillie did really well to hold off his man before laying the ball to Rooney. The Irishman had time to pick his spot but frustratingly the shot was blocked. That was David's last contribution. Shortly after that he was replaced by Nicky Low as the Dons looked to protect their lead.

On 81 minutes Langfield did well to tip over after Taylor had deflected the ball towards his own goal. Then on 85 minutes Harkins put a free kick into the wall. He did much better with the rebound which just went wide. That was really the closest Paul Hartley's side came to scoring. The Dons did well in the closing stages to keep the ball up the park with Barry Robson making sure it stayed in the corner flag area for a good three or four minutes. In fact Rooney could have put the icing on the cake when he tackled the keeper but the ball just went wide.

A very good three points as the Dons who head into the international break on a high having taken 10 points from a possible 12 in recent weeks.
Dundee Teamsheet
01.Kyle Letheren, 02.Gary Irvine, 04.Thomas Konrad, 05.James McPake, 19.Paul McGinn, 08.Kevin McBride (23.Martin Boyle 79'), 15.Greg Stewart (09.Peter MacDonald 83), 18.Paul McGowan, 20.James McAlister, 16.David Clarkson (33.Craig Wighton 68), 29.Gary Harkins. Unused Subs: 12.Scott Bain, 14.Philip Roberts, 30.Cameron Kerr, 34.Matthew Allan.

Bookings:  05.James McPake (62),   08.Kevin McBride (76).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Logan, Considine, Taylor, Reynolds, Flood, McGinn (Smith 90), Robson, Pawlett (Murray 88), Rooney, Goodwillie (Low 78).

Unused Subs: Monakana, Rose, Felek, Brown.

Bookings:  Robson (71),  Considine (86).
Attendance: 8,784
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Willie Collum