Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Motherwell

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Hayes 2.

24/10/2014 | KO: 19:45

Dons See Out 2nd Minute Goal to Claim Points

Match Report

After getting off to the perfect start with a Jonny Hayes goal after two minutes against Motherwell tonight, the Dons had to hold firm for the following 88 minutes in order to get back to winning ways, posting a first clean sheet in five games. The win takes then above Celtic and into fifth place in the SPFL.

Derek McInnes made three changes to the side this evening. Scott Brown replaced Jamie Langfield in goal, and Niall McGinn and Peter Pawlett came back into the side. Robson and Rooney took a place on the bench. So the Dons, lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation, saw Brown in goal, Logan at right back, Taylor and Reynolds were in central defence with Considine at left back. Jack and Flood were the sitting midfielders with Hayes on the left, McGinn on the right and Pawlett played in behind Goodwillie.

Aberdeen got off to the perfect start.

After just two minutes, a crisp passing move saw Jack play the ball to McGinn who fed Goodwillie who in turn played a first time ball to Jonny Hayes who held off his marker before hitting a low shot under Dan Twardzik.

This was the first goal Aberdeen had scored against Motherwell at Pittodrie since 2012.

The Dons continued to control the game and on seven minutes Jonny came close to grabbing a second. From a wide angle he tried to chip Twardzik and the keeper seemed to be struggling but the ball landed on roof of the net. Then a minute later a Goodwillie shot from a tight angle forced Twardzik into a save.

On 10 minutes from a corner Brown was unable to hold on. The ball fell to McManus who flashed a shot just over the bar. Well then won 4 corners but the Dons defended them ok.

On 16 minutes Hayes whipped in a good cross but McGinn snatched and his shot and did not catch it properly and the ball rolled wide of the goal. A decent chance. Hayes certainly looked it the mood tonight.

On 20 minutes another corner from Motherwell almost produced a goal. A simple ball in saw Brown elect to stay on his line and Ramsden had a free header but thankfully he put his effort over the bar. A let off for the Dons who really should be defending corners better that that.

On 22 minutes Logan played over a cross from the right which McGinn chested down but could not find Goodwillie.

Despite the excellent start Aberdeen failed to build on it and the visitors came back into the match.
The match was quite stop start with neither team able to get many passing moves going. As expected Motherwell were fighting hard. There were a lot of niggling fouls which did not match the game much of a spectacle. Up to this point Motherwell were enjoying more possession though Scott Brown had very little to do and centre forward Sutton was not getting much service.

Aberdeen were comfortable at the back, and although they were not bossing the game, they looked in control.

It needed someone to liven up proceedings. Aberdeen were not playing with the free confidence that we had seen in previous Pittodrie games although there was more control than previous games.

Just before the break a long ball by Reynolds almost found Goodwillie but Twardzik did really well to race off his line, come out of his box and clear the danger with his legs. Really good goalkeeping from Dan.

HT 1-0

After half time Aberdeen tried to step it up a bit. McManus was booked early in the half for another strong tackle. One foul too many. Then Pawlett played a beautiful diagonal which McGinn failed to control properly but he had time to put over a good low ball which Logan of all people met but his shot was straight at Twardzik. Then a minute later McGinn stood up a superb ball to the back post. Twardzik was unable to come and in the end it appeared Jack and Goodwillie got in each others way, although the ball may have just been too high for both of them.

Motherwell continued to enjoy spells of possession without a purpose. They really were lacking in the final third. Ash Taylor also had a good game and dealt with any high balls.

On the hour mark Pawlett was replaced by Adam Rooney.

Straight away Aberdeen won a corner which Motherwell failed to attack. The ball bobbled about before Goodwillie put it just past the post. Then a few minutes later a better break from Aberdeen. McGinn found Goodwillie who worked his way into the box but failed to work the keeper and put his shot over the bar.

On 71 minutes Jonny Hayes did well at the back post to track back and clear the danger from a good ball from the left. Then at the other end Hayes put over a really high deep cross which Twardzik just pushed clear. The ball landed at the feet of Logan who had options. He elected to shoot but his effort was deflected behind. Before the corner could be taken Barry Robson replaced Goodwillie. McGinn's excellent corner was pushed by Twardzik onto Rooney but he could not react quickly enough to divert the ball goal ward. Aberdeen then hesitated which allowed Bob McHugh to fire in a shot which was deflected and in the end Brown did well to get over and cover.

In the final quarter Aberdeen were in control but with only a goal lead Motherwell were still well in the game, particularly with the history of this fixture. Nonetheless, Aberdeen made sensible use of the ball and enjoyed some controlled possession as they took the sting from the game. Sub Cammy Smith in particular did well when he came on.

Indeed, it was the Dons who came closest to finding the net, not least in the 82nd minute when a nice passing move involving Flood and Rooney set McGinn up to fire wide from the edge of the box.

As we entered the last minute of normal time, there was more good passing play down the Aberdeen left before Flood worked the ball into Rooney. His lay off found McGinn but when he was dispossessed, the ball fell to Logan who blasted over the bar from 20 yards.

There were three minutes of added time, but the Dons saw them through comfortably enough to post a first home win against Motherwell in nine attempts.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Brown, Logan, Considine, Taylor, Reynolds, Flood, McGinn, Hayes (Smith 84), Pawlett (Rooney 61), Jack, Goodwillie (Robson 74).

Unused Subs: Monakana, Shankland, Rose, Langfield.
Motherwell Teamsheet
12.Dan Twardzik, 02.Craig Reid, 03.Steven Hammell, 05.Simon Ramsden, 06.Stephen McManus, 14.Keith Lasley, 17.Zaine Francis-Angol (07.Lionel Ainsworth 88), 18.Josh Law (16.Robert McHugh 75), 20.Fraser Kerr, 09.John Sutton, 24.Henrik Ojamaa (19.Lee Erwin 75). Unused Subs: 04.Stuart Carswell, 13.Gunnar Nielsen, 15.Mark O'Brien, 21.Jack Leitch.

Bookings:  06.Stephen McManus (46),   14.Keith Lasley (70).
Attendance: 11,149
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Crawford Allan