Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 1 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 0 - 1 Aberdeen

SPFL Development League
Kilmarnock scorers: Pooler
Aberdeen scorers: Shaughnessy 31, Orsi 78, Orsi 85.

03/02/2015 | KO: 14:00

Kalvin Orsi was the hero this afternoon as he came off the bench to score two excellent goals that gave the young Dons victory. It was an extremely hard fought game with the turning point coming about 15 minutes from the end when the home side had a man sent off. Just before that Langfield had made a brilliant block to keep out Chris Johnston and then a few minutes after the red card Aberdeen scored. Paul Sheerin's side had dominated the first half and they went ahead when Joe Shaughnessy headed home a Robson free kick. After the break though Killie got on top and deservedly equaliser through Pooler. After that Langfield made a couple of very good blocks before Orsi won the game late on.

Paul Sheerin's side this afternoon lined up with Langfield in goal, Shaughnessy at right back with Gibbons and McKenna in central defence and Harvie at left back. Storie and Robson were sitting midfielders with Masson, Wright and Campanile ahead of them. With Shankland out through illness and with McManus having returned to Morton on loan, Cammy Smith played upfront.
Not much happened in the early stages, Kilmarnock forced the first corner on 6 minutes which McKenna headed clear. Aberdeen had the majority of possession with Robson pulling the strings but the home side were giving them very little room to play. Killie were quite happy to sit back and hit on the break. On 18 minutes a good through ball found Euan Smith in the box but his first touch let him down and Campanile was able to recover the situation. With Barry Robson in the side the young Dons looked a constant threat from set-pieces. After 21 minutes the Dons won a free kick but the keeper claimed in and two minutes later Killie cleared a Robson corner. Kilmarnock on the break looked dangerous as they had a lot of pace in the side. On 25 minutes Mark O'Hara was in the clear but instead of going himself he looked for a team mate and his pass went astray.
On 26 minutes Masson took a free kick this time but he also picked out the keeper. On the half hour mark Adam Hodge was booked for foul on Smith after Cammy had rolled away from him. It was to prove to be a very costly booking and free kick. From the free kick Robson curled in a great ball and Shaughnessy rose highest to plant a header past the keeper. It was a very good header from Joe as he was almost beyond the ball but managed to get his head back and make good contact with the ball. A minute later Robson found some space down the left. He floated another great ball to the back post area which took out the keeper. Campanile challenged and as he did the ball appeared to strike the arm of a defender but the referee was not convinced.
Aberdeen then completely dominated and at times were passing the ball for fun. Storie, Robson and Masson were all involved but the Dons could not create much and were lacking a bit of impetus in the final third.

At times it was comfortable for the Dons but the home side were a lot more positive after the break and the second half was a very different game. Compared with the first forty-five they were more direct and forced a number of chances. A free kick by David Syme thankfully missed everyone and landed in the arms of Langfield. Then the Dons keeper made a very good save to block Dyan Pooler at his back post. The extremely talented Chris Johnston was now heavily involved. In the first half he was picking the ball up in very deep areas and could not hurt the Dons. Now he was picking the ball up in very good areas and running a real pace. It was difficult to know who should pick him up. Chris had one particularly good run from his own half which came to nothing but on 54 minutes the winger was quick to pounce on a mistake at the back. A through ball dissected McKenna and Harvie and Johnston was clean through. Harvie did well to get back and make a challenge which put him off but the ball fell to Dylan Pooler and he tapped home. Had he not done so the home side might well have had a penalty anyway for the tackle on Johnston. The goal gave the Ayrshire side a big lift. On the hour mark Johnston hit a low shot which was well saved by Langfield. Just after the hour mark Cammy Smith was replaced by Kalvin Orsi. It was decided beforehand that Cammy would only play an hour. Shortly after that Marcus Campanile did well but his low cross could not pick out Orsi. Then at the other end Mark O'Hara had a shot which was deflected just wide. It really was now anyone's games.
After 70 minutes Craig Storie was booked and then Barry Robson was replaced by Michael Rose. Michael played at right back, Shaughnessy went to centre half and Gibbons moved into the middle of the park. There were then two massive turning points in the game. On 73 minutes a great moved opened up the Aberdeen defence. Johnston was one on one with Langfield and in a central area. He had so much time to pick his spot but when he did Jamie was able to spread himself and make the block. It was a quite outstanding save. Then on 75 minutes Hodge, who had been booked before, body checked Storie. It was a silly foul to give away for a player who was already on a yellow and the referee had no choice but to produce a red card. The game was now there to be won but Aberdeen needed a spark from somewhere. On 78 minutes they got it. Daniel Harvie put over a superb cross and Kalvi Orsi bulleted home a header. You were struggling to see where a goal was going to come from but the two youngsters produced the goods.
In 81 minutes Cairney and Johnson both tested the Aberdeen defence as Killie look for the equaliser but Shaughnessy and McKenna were not going to give away this one. On 85 minutes Aberdeen cleared their lines and Orsi did really well to fight for the ball and hold off two defenders. He even managed to win the ball, shield it and spread wide to Masson who was getting up in support. Kalvin made a determined run into the box and Jamie picked him out with a pin point cross. Oris then volleyed it first time past the keeper. A fantastic goal. Orsi might even have got his hat-trick but Campanile went for goal himself instead of playing Kalvin in.

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Brennan, Hawkshaw, Lidington, Smith, Hodge, Syme, Pooler (Whittaker 83), Cairney, Johnston, O'Hara, Kiltie Subs Lyle, McLean, Taylor, Wilson   Hodge
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Shaughnessy, Harvie, Storie, McKenna, Gibbons, Masson, Robson (Rose 69), Campanile (Henry 87), Smith (Orsi 61), Wright.

Unused Subs: Mutch, Felek, Robertson, Ross.
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen