Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Sloan 46.
Hibernian scorers: Alexander

23/10/1915 | KO:

Aberdeen and the Hibernians had a drawn game at Aberdeen. Neither side had anything to complain of in the result. They were evenly matched in a game that produced little really good football. The defences were the best parts of the two combinations, and there, on the whole, Aberdeen were the more impressive. The forwards were feeble. The Hibernians' attack, though quicker and more methodical in the open, was well held near goal. There was no scoring at the interval, but a minute after the resumption Walker netted the ball for the locals. The Hibernians had the wind, and deserved the equaliser, which Alexander got for them ten minutes from the close. Allan was very safe in goal for the Hibernians. The crowd numbered about 6000, and was largely composed of men on service.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th October 1915

The Edinburgh Hibernian team succeeded in dividing the points at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, on Saturday, where 5000 spectators witnessed a disappointing game, which was played in a boisterous easterly wind.

Aberdeen played west with the wind, and immediately applied pressure, which tested Hibs defenders. Hibs, however, were the early dangerous, forcing the first corner. Shortly after a corner kick to Aberdeen lead John Wyllie have an opportunity with his head, the ball just grazing the wrong side of the crossbar. Anderson was penalised for carrying too far at the other end. Aberdeen packed their goal, and got the ball scrambled out of danger. Kicking with the wind enabled Aberdeen to lie well into Hibs' territory, where Taylor and Mercer resolutely repulsed all attacks. Hibs were the smarter team forward, and battled well against a stiff breeze. Allan had another clearance which did not trouble him. Half an hour from the start Aberdeen made a great effort. The finisher was a screw shot from the by-line from Wylie, which Allan judged well, and caught as it was twisting under the bar. Again Allan was the hero in clearing when the Hibs' backs had got mixed up in goalmouth. Hibs tried hard to transfer of play to Aberdeen's end, but again were beaten back, Robertson testing Allan with a long-distance grounder, which was easily stopped. Smith having had to retire to the pavilion owing to an injury, Hibs were no playing for forwards, and even thus they were dangerous when they broke away, Alexander with a fast oblique shot missing narrowly. Again the Hibs promised well, Anderson having to concede a corner diverting a hot shot from Fleming.

Resuming, still without Smith, Hibs lost no time in trying to prove the advantage of the wind. From a bye-kick Aberdeen, however, got away. Archibald crossed from the line, and Sloan drove hard into the net, Aberdeen being won up a minute from the interval. It was hard on Hibs, after the fine defence made under trying conditions in the first half. A pass to the right was got in time by Meagher, who nevertheless made Hume give away a corner. Within 5 minutes Smith returned to his place. Alexander, with a header close in, troubled Anderson. A long shot from Fleming was easily stopped by Anderson. Another long-distance try by Newton was tipped over, nothing resulting from the corner kick. Jack Wyllie was now lying well back, and close range shooting by Hibs was rare. Lennie, however, had a drive from nearly 50 yards out, and Anderson was lucky to be in place to stop it. Smith troubled Colman, the wily back conceding a corner. Brewster's height diverted Smith's flag kick. Hibs were anxious to score, but found Aberdeen's reinforced back division too hefty and solid. Ten minutes from time to Alexander got the equaliser. Anderson had made a clever save from Meagher, and the ball came in again. He threw himself out, got his fingers on the ball, but failed to hold it, and the Hibs' centre rushing up had an open goal. Allan saved well from little Wylie in Aberdeen's last desperate effort to snatch victory. A draw of one goal each fairly Rep scented the value of the play.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th October 1915

Hibernian Teamsheet
Allan; Mercer, Taylor; Lennie, Paterson, Newton; Meagher, Fleming, Alexander, Kilpatrick, W. Smith
Attendance: 4,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries