Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

Youth Cup Third Round
Hibernian went through on penalties
Aberdeen scorers: Shankland 38.
Hibernian scorers: Allan 65

02/11/2014 | KO: 13:00

Aberdeen were this afternoon knocked out of the SFA Youth Cup on penalties at Pittodrie. Lawrence Shankland had given the young Dons the lead on 38 minutes but Lewis Allan equalised with a powerful effort beyond Billington on 66 minutes. There was no further scoring and ultimately the game was decided on penalties - Hibs coming out on top 4-2.

Aberdeen lined up with Billington in goal, Rose at right back, Harvie at left back with Gibbons and McKenna in central defence. The midfield four were Felek, Storie, Campanile and Wright with Smith playing in behind Shankland. On 3 minutes Taylor Henry had half chance for Hibs after a dangerous cross from the left. Aberdeen won the first corner of the game on 5 minutes but then a minute later a slip at the back let in Hendry but from point blank range Billington made a brilliant stop. Back came the Dons and Smith had a shot at goal on 8 minutes but from the edge of the area he just put his effort over the bar. A minute later Campanile also had a shot which was on target but never troubled the keeper. Then on 12 minutes Shankland hit a powerful shot on the turn but he was off target.<.br> On 20 minutes Hibs won a free kick in a dangerous area. Billington did well to punch clear the initial cross but his punched clearance fell nicely to Henry and his dipping effort just landed on the roof of the net. Aberdeen had started the game well but Hibs had come back into things and this looked like being a very close game. On 25 minutes the Dons had a great chance to take the lead when the visitors gifted possession to Smith. His low cross was met by Shankland but he could not convert, full back Dunsmore came across to make a great block. Both Shankland and Smith were then furious that a penalty was given for a foul on Lawrence. On 29 minutes again the Dons went looking to try and break down a well organised Hibs defence. Campanile elected to shoot with no red jerseys free and he forced Perntreou into a smart stop. On 36 minutes Smith broke free but failed to lob the onrushing Perntreou. Then on 38 minutes Aberdeen took the lead. Rose put over a good cross from the right, Shankland got free of his marker with a good run across the defender and although his effort hit the post and rolled across the goal line the ball eventually went over the line and the ref award the goal after a nervous few seconds wait.
Paul Sheerin's side were now in the ascendancy and well on top. On 42 minutes Shankland got in behind the Hibs defence but his low shot/cross could not find Smith. A good chance wasted. After a tight first half hour, Shankland, Smith and Wright were beginning to wear down their opponents and find some space and although the young Dons did not play their best, they looked comfortable at half time.

Hibs though started the second half strongly. On 51 minutes Hendry had a header which saw Billington, who was going the wrong way, manage to readjust his feet and tip the ball over the bar. From the resulting corner Storie was forced to clear the ball off the line. On 56 minutes Taylor put over a dangerous cross that caused hesitation at the back but Billington did well to recover the situation. Hibs were now well on top though and asking some real questions of the young Dons defence. Therefore when they equalised on 65 minutes you have to say the goal was deserved. Jamie Henry had replaced Felek but Henry was only on the park for a matter of seconds when Hibs scored. A free kick was played in and fell kindly to Lewis Allan who drilled the ball home from about 15 yards.
All the momentum was now with the visitors and the young Dons were struggling to get anything going. As the game wore on it became very nervy as both sets of players knew a mistake at this point would be disastrous. The game then became quite stop start with a lot of fouls. With seven bookings in the game, the match was very competitive throughout. With six minutes to go the Dons made another change with Frank Ross coming on for Wright. Both teams had chances to win it from set pieces at the end of normal time but neither could do anything with them.

Extra Time

In the first minute of extra time Conner Duthie rattled the post from a tight angle. After that Aberdeen enjoyed more possession and a bit of control, the first time they had done that in a long while but apart from the odd set piece they did not carry the same attacking threat. Ross and Henry had helped to shore up the midfield though and therefore Cammy Smith was getting more involved again.

Half Time of Extra Time

Things opened up a little in the second period of extra time and on 107 minutes Smith threaded a ball through for Shankland who was on one with the keeper but Perntreou blocked very well. A minute later Shankland forced the keeper into another save and then a minute after that Aberdeen appealed for a penalty when Shankland went down in the box. With about 5 minutes left Hibs blew a great chance when Allan cut in from the left to set up Taylor but he could only bundle ball past the post from close range. Then in the final minute Aberdeen themselves wasted a great chance when McKenna headed over from a free kick.<

Penalty Kicks

Scott Martin scored the first penalty for Hibs and then Craig Storie had his shot saved. Lewis Allan scored a second for Hibs and then Cammy Smith hit the post. When Sinclair scored the third Hibs penalty it put them in a very commanding position. Shankland scored the Dons third and Billington saved from Henry to give the Dons a lifeline. Michael Rose then hammered one down the middle which put the pressure on Neil Martyniuk but he kept his composure to score and to send Hibs through. A very disappointing outcome as the Dons had high hopes of doing well in this year's competition.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Billington, Rose, Harvie, Storie, McKenna, Gibbons, Felek (Henry 65), Campanile, Shankland, Smith, Wright (Ross 84).

Unused Subs: Mutch, Jones, Robertson.
Hibernian Teamsheet
Perntreou, Dunsmore, Crane, Martyniuk, McGregor, Gardiner, Duthie (Todd 101), Martin, L. Allan, Mulhall (Sinclair 59), Hendry. Subs Brennan, Todd, McCaffrey, Stirling
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen