Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Port Glasgow 0 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Port Glasgow 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Montgomery (OG), Lennie, Soye.

21/08/1909 | KO: 15:30

At Port Glasgow. Aberdeen were set to play against the sun, and in the first few minutes were hovering round their opponents' goal. The attack, however, was short lived, for Port Glasgow went away in a body, and the outside, Finlay, sent across a swift ground shot, beating Mutch all the way, but it passed the wrong side of the post. Time after time likely looking chances were thrown away by both sides, Port Glasgow being worst in this respect. In the last few minutes of the first half Aberdeen scored somewhat unexpectedly. Montgomery, who up till now had played a great game in Port Glasgow's goal, fisted through his own goal. He had plenty of time to catch the ball, and the shot was a feeble one from the Aberdeen right. This reverse seemed to unman him, for from a long shot by Lennie he was beaten for a second time two minutes later. The local team started the second half with as much dash as they left off, but they were weak at close quarters. Colman and Hume played a sterling game at back for Aberdeen and backed by Mutch in goal were seldom in serious difficulties. With ten minutes to go Lennie got possession, and sent in a stiff angular shot, which Montgomery saved with difficulty. He did not get the ball away sufficiently far, and Soye rushing in had no difficulty in scoring a third goal. Result :- Aberdeen, three goals, Port Glasgow, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 23rd August 1909

The opening league fixture on the Aberdeen card was played on Saturday, when the Pittodrie team journeyed to Port-Glasgow, and met the Athletic at Clune Park. The weather was some what warm for football, nevertheless a fairly interesting game was witnessed. Over 4000 spectators were present when the teams lined up as follows at 3:30:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Davidson, Moffat, Miller; H. Murray, Soye, T. Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Port-Glasgow Athletic: Montgomery; Thomson, Jackson; Colville, Munro, Lynch; Hamilton, Hagan, Macdonald, T. Findlay, R. Findlay.
Referee - Mr. Jackson, Glasgow.

The Athletic won the toss, and in the first half played with the sun at their back, while they also had the benefit of a strong breeze. The opening exchanges were lively, Aberdeen pressing straight from the kick-off. Near goal the visitors at once became dangerous on the left wing, but a rousing kick by Jackson transfer to play to the other end of the field. A free kick to Port-Glasgow gave them an opportunity to open the scoring, but Colman rushed across the field and cleared in time. Good work by O'Hagan and Soye was lost through H. Murray shooting past at close quarters. At the other end R. Findlay got a fine opening as the result of clever work by his brother, the outside left failed to beat Mutch, the goalkeeper clearing finely. The game preceded on fairly even lines. First one side and then the other appeared two advantage, but the respective back divisions were very reliable, and seldom allowed the opposing forwards to get within shooting distance. Aberdeen, if anything, played the more methodical football, although Port-Glasgow's strong rushing tactics frequently troubled the Aberdeen defence. The first corner in the game fell to the home team, and although Hume and Moffat managed to get the ball away between them, the Athletic returned to the attack, and Mutch did well in getting rid of a fine shot from R. Findlay. The Aberdeen left wing - admirably backed up by Miller - monopolised the game for a time. O'Hagan and Lennie rounded the backs, the latter testing Montgomery with a terrific drive at close range. The goalkeeper again distinguished himself in clearing a shot from Lennie, while next minute T. Murray was pulled up for offside when clear of the backs. The heat was up almost overpowering, but the players maintain a remarkably good pace. Strong kicking by the backs characterised the play for a time, Colman standing out prominently by reason of his fine punting. Lennie and O'Hagan were prominent in the Aberdeen front rank. He got plenty of opportunities to get away, and the outside player responded with some telling work on the wing. On one occasion he crossed beautifully to the centre, T. Murray just missing with a fast drive along the ground, although the centre forward ought to have improved upon a cross from the left wing shortly afterwards. A sudden breakaway by T. Findlay and Macdonald looked dangerous for Aberdeen, but Hume dashed in and cleared splendidly. Much and Montgomery both had shots to deal with, but on each occasion the goalkeepers had lots of time to clear. Port-Glasgow made repeated efforts to open the scoring, and Macdonald had a nice opening, but shot feebly into Mutch's hands. Again the Athletic were presented with a comparatively easy chance, but their forwards were at fault, being over-anxious, and allowing the Aberdeen backs to rush in and cleared their lines. Half I and our of the game had gone by without any scoring, and for a time the players slowed down, but he telling on both teams. Lennie enlivened matters with a sparkling run along the touch line, Jackson giving away a corner in checking the left winger. The ball came out to Davidson, who slipped it along to H. Murray, the latter shooting past at close range. Sorely tested Montgomery with a straight drive, but the goalkeeper cleared finely. Keeping up the pressure, Aberdeen almost opened the scoring through Lennie, who just missed. He enlivened matters with a spanking run along the left. Just when the spectators had made up their minds for a blank first half, Aberdeen came away in fine style, and scored twice within 5 minutes. The first goal was the outcome of a blunder by the goalkeeper. H. Murray sent the ball across from the right, and the goalkeeper rushed out to clear, but, to the surprise of everybody, Montgomery turn the ball into the net. Back came Aberdeen, and just on the interval Lennie cut into the centre, let drive for goal, and beat the goalkeeper with a fast shot. Half-time was then sounded with a game standing - Aberdeen, 2 goals; Port-Glasgow Athletic, 0.


In the second half, Aberdeen had the benefit of the wind, but the Port-Glasgow forwards were the first to make headway. Colman, however, was in capital form, and transfer to play to the other end with a huge punt. The right back indeed exited form of the highest class, his returns being quite a feature of the game. His partner, although not so prominent, was quite reliable in everything he did. There was a marked falling off in the pace of the game, however, this being particularly noticeable in the playoff Port-Glasgow. Aberdeen, on the other hand, played a confident, winning game. Besides, the visiting half-backs gave their forwards every assistance, whereas the Port middle line, although tackling strongly, neglected to men in front of them. For fully 20 minutes the game was almost devoid of interest, Aberdeen were distinctly the better side, playing good football, while the home players adopted spoiling tactics, and did their best to put Aberdeen off the game. The Pittodrie men, however, quite held their own, although during a ten-minutes spell of stiff pressure the Aberdeen defence was severely taxed. At this stage, Moffat came prominently to the front, his height and good recovery powers being of great value to his side. Lennie and O'Hagan gave considerable trouble to the Port defence. The outside-left ran right through between the backs and crossed to the centre, where T. Murray just failed to pick up the pass. Sorry and H. Murray now got more of the ball, but they're responding with several fine runs along the field. With two goals against them, and the opposing defence on top of their form, the Port-Glasgow players appeared to lose heart altogether. The brothers Findlay occasionally tested Mutch, but there was a lack of them in the play of the team as a whole. Aberdeen ultimately scored a third goal as the result of fine work by Lennie. He dribbled the ball more than half the length of the field, racing past all opposition. Nearing goal, a left-winger shot for the far corner of the net. Montgomery stopped the ball, but failed to get it away, when Soye rushed in , and placed his side three up. Interest in the game fell away considerably when the third goal went on.

Aberdeen were undoubtedly the better team, and one on their merits. Heavy player went into the game in a whole-hearted fashion, and while several of the men - particularly Lennie, Colman, and Moffat - stood out prominently for their sterling play, there was not a weak spot in the team.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 23rdAugust 1909


Of the many visits we have paid with Aberdeen to Port-Glasgow, Saturday's takes pride of place with regard to weather and playing conditions. The players had a rather tedious journey, but felt sound and fit for play on their ultimate stripping for the contest. We were told that Aberdeen had to secure their first win on Clune Park, Port-Glasgow supporterS being of opinion that this was impotsible on the preĀ¬sent occasion, as their team were in grand order.

The game was not long in progress before we could see that something extraordinary had to happen before Aberdeen were to lose. Montgomery got several teasers to hold from the left wing pair, and another from Tom Murray nearly got through. The brothers Findlay frequently had Stewart Davidson on toast, but the Aberdonian stuck tenaciously to one or another of them, and Colman managed to do the rest. This wing were really the most dangerous on the home side, and it speaks well for Davidson and his back that they kept them from scoring, along with Mutch, who was always ready in case of pot-shots. It was left to Bert Murray, who had been doing really well at outside right, to open the score, a high deceptive ball curling off the goalkeeper's fist into the net. One of these shots in which there was more curl on them than a custodian imagines. The next goal was one of Lennie's own - one about which there was no mistake. Snapping up the ball as it came across, the winger made sure, while O'Hagan cleared the wa, "Montee" being beaten for a second time. A rally by the "Port" looked dangerous for a few minutes, but the teams crossed with Aberdeen leading by 2-0. After several hot exchanges, Lennie again wandered the defence, and putting along a fine cross, Soye netted with perfect ease. There were several clever bits of play right to the end, but no further scoring ensued, Aberdeen securing their first victory in Clune Park by 3 goals to nil.


If Aberdeen can keep up the fine forward play of Saturday they should bag a lot of points this year. It was not only good for a start, but it is capable of developing into more successful methods at goalmouth, once the players get properly known to each other. Another pleasant item, and one on which many doubts have been expressed, was the strength of the middle line. We can assure our readers that on Saturday's play there is nothing very far wrong here. On the contrary, they appear to have a fine conception of how to part with the ball to the forwards, and one and all are triers. Nothing need be said of the defence. Coleman, Hume, and Mutch did their part well, as the score indicates, and we hope they may have many clean slates during the coming season. With the exception of the Findlay wing, Jackson at back, and Montgomery between the sticks the "Port" players did not impress us much, though they would be able on a heavy going pitch to do a lot of damage.


Jimmy Muir, Aberdeen's inside right, who got his leg broken last year, has decided to give up the game for good.
We were lead to believe that Aberdeen had all but signed him on again, and his name has frequently appeared in local prints as an Aberdeen player.
They are evideirtly well pleased with Wilfred Low up Newcastle way, and his work at St James's Park has given entire satitsfacition as yet.
Jim Macintosh got a wrenoh in practice, which has kept him out of the Celtic trial games.
Aberdeen A should play their Second XI Scottish Cup tie with Dundee A at Dens Park on Saturday week, but we believe an extension of time has been applied for, and this tie will take place on the 11th September.
There is an apparent wave of enthusiasm amongst the Aberdeen supporters just now. It was well-nigh killed last year with the upsetting of fixtures.
It is a long time now since Aberdeen had a couple of wins on the same day and gathered four points. The usual custom was a win at home and a loss away, or vice-versa.
The gate on Saturday was the largest for a Northern League game the club have experienced for a long time.
The spectators weathered the storm bravely, and would brook no cessation of play, try as the visitors liked.
Mr Kirkland, who afficiated as referee, made a capital first appearance, and gave his decisions without fear or favour. He is an old player, and knows the game thoroughly. We could be doing with some more of his stamp in the League.
Aberdeen have that cup tie defeat at Cathkin to wipe out this week. Will they do it?
There is an interesting card of fixtures in this week's campaign of the League. Readers should got a cony of "Bon-Accord's" official programme at Pittodrie, where they will get the latest.

Source: Bon-Accord, 25th August 1909

Port Glasgow Teamsheet
Montgomery; Thomson, Jackson; Colville, Munro, Lynch; Hamilton, Hagan, Macdonald, T. Findlay, R. Findlay
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Clune Park, Port Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Jackson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride