Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1894-95 fixture list
Scottish Cup Third Round 
Orion 1 - 5 Dundee
Kick Off:    Campbell       Fleming, Thomson, Maxwell, Maxwell, Maxwell  
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Cattofield, Aberdeen
Orion, the sole surviving representative of Aberdeen and the north of Scotland in the final stage of the competition for the Scottish Cup, received its quietus at Cattofield on Saturday when the Dundee club defeated its representatives by five goals to one. As is on often the case when the issue of a match is of great moment to the clubs engaged, and the game has in consequence been much looked forward to, the play was, taken all over, disappointing. This was not because the home club was defeated - for that was expected - but because the standard of play did not on either side reach the level which was expected; Orion, in particular were not up to their usual form. Considering the character of the match, the attendance of spectators was only fair, at no time exceeding 3000. Neither team took the field in full strength, Dundee being without Gilligan, who is ill, Richardson, who is ineligible, and Sayers, and playing instead Maxwell, formerly of Arbroath and recently of Heart of Midlothian Reserves; while from the Orion front line Benzie and Thom were absent. The teams were: Orion: Edwards; Mackay, ROSS ; Wight, Low, Carrie; Gloag, Sutherland, Leggat, Gallacher, Stopani. Dundee: Barrett; Darroch, Campbell; Dundas, Longair, Ferrier, Thomson, Mclnroy, Maxwell, Fleming, Keillor. Mr P. Baxter, Perth, was referee.

Dundee started the ball uphill, and at once opened a determined attack. From the first they made it evident that they were to leave nothing to chance, and during the opening ten minutes Orion were only once able to make their way across the centre line. The Dundee men seemed to understand each other well in the open, but when they came to close quarters their shooting was almost ludicrous. Of course it has to be taken into account that they were playing against the incline, and with the sun in their eyes, while the heavy condition of the ground made shooting even more difficult, especially for a team which has been accustomed, as Dundee has been of late, to play on almost perfect grounds. Over anxiety had also something to do with the muddling. Be that as it may, the tries at goal were as a rule poor, and when they were otherwise Edwards was able to deal with them. Orion now raised the hopes of their supporters by a good break away, and their chances were decidedly rosy when the ball went whizzing past the backs with three or four red forwards in full pursuit, Barrett, however, met the rush in his characteristically cool style, and soon sent the ball to mid-field. The Dundee forwards at once made off with it, and, when about half way towards goal, Fleming sent in a swift low cross shot. The backs failed to stop it, and Edwards, being apparently taken by surprise, a soft goal fell to the visitors. The next point, however, which came in a few minutes later, was got by a better piece of play. Fleming, who again had the ball, shot it swiftly across the goal-mouth, and before Edwards could reach it Thomson had rushed in and scored. Orion now had another spell of the aggressive work, but the front line seemed to be at sixes and sevens. On several occasions when they had got well away and seemed likely to do something, the chance was spoiled by someone kicking the ball straight to a Dundee man's foot, and the strangers' backs, who were in excellent form, were not the men to refuse such favours from the enemy. The result was that Dundee was before long in the thick of another attack on the home citadel, which soon fell for the third time before a beautiful shot taken on the turn by Maxwell. With three goals to the good, Dundee showed less anxiety than they had done at first, and consequently the attack was more deadly. It had, however, had no further effect when half-time was announced with the scores:Dundee, 3; Orion, 0.

Orion for the first few minutes of the second period were without Leggatt, who had been hurt, but he was soon able to resume. Play opened with alternate visits to the two goals. Maxwell missed a chance for Dundee, but Stopani more than counterbalanced that mistake a few minutes later by throwing away what was undoubtedly the finest chance of the match. He was within a few yards of an open goal, and shot past. The mistake cost Orion dear. From the goal kick Dundee immediately bore down on the home goal, and Maxwell, by a neat piece of play, eluded the vigilance oi Edwards and added a fourth goal. To the spectators it seemed as if Maxwell was suspiciously near the Orion goal when he first got the ball, and an appeal was made to the referee, but he declared that the Dundee player was not offside, and allowed the point. In a few minutes Maxwell, from a scrimmage, added a fifth goal. Although now five goals behind, Orion resumed with great vigour, and in a few minutes the forwards were swarming round the Dundee goal. Although several times repulsed, they returned to the attack with great spirit, and on several occasions it was more by luck than good guiding that the Dundee goal was saved from downfall. Eventually Campbell, in one of his attempts to "show off," missed the ball completely, Barrett was too late to rectify the unexpected mistake, and Orion's first goal resulted. The point was obtained by a fluke, but it had been well worked for. Cheered on by their supporters, Orion now worked with might and main, and for the next few minutes the Dundee goal was hard beset, but with a majority of four goals, and only fifteen minutes to go, Dundee could afford to play coolly, and they did so, Orion's spurt was short, and Dundee resumed the aggressive. The result of the game was now decided, and many of the spectators began to file out of the ground. Those who did so missed some of the most brilliant play of the day. Edwards, who from the first had maintained a stout defence and was in no way accountable for the defeat of his team, had his powers taxed to the utmost by several shots. Two from Longair, coming in quick succession within an inch or two of the cross bar, were saved in beautiful style. By a sudden rush, Orion Quickly turned the tables upon their opponents, and for a time it seemed as if they would score. The strong defence of the Dundee club, however, again asserted itself, and the home players had to retire to their own lines. The whistle then sounded: Dundee 5, Orion 1.

At the close Orion lodged protest on the ground that Maxwell, Dundee's centre forward, had signed for Heart of Midlothian. The better team won; of that there can be no doubt, although probably the difference is hardly in the proportion that the score would seem to indicate. Had Orion had another goal, the totals would have been a fair index of the division of the day's play. In the course of the game some rough play crept in, and fouls were freely given against both sides. Of course the players were to blame, but the probability is that, had it not been for the disgraceful suggestions, couched in equally disgraceful language, which came from outside the ropes? - from the younger spectators particularly - there would have been little of a questionable character from either side.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 26th November 1894

Orion Teamsheet:  Edwards; Mackay, ROSS ; Wight, Low, Carrie; Gloag, Sutherland, Leggat, Gallacher, Stopani


Dundee Teamsheet:  Barrett; Darroch, Campbell; Dundas, Longair, Ferrier, Thomson, Mclnroy, Maxwell, Fleming, Keillor


Referee: Mr P. Baxter, Perth

Related Links: