Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1919-20 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Queens Park
Kick Off:  2:00 PM   Wylie 3.       J. B. Bell  
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen drew with Queen's Park at Pittodrie before 12,000. Wylie headed through from a corner for Aberdeen in two minutes, but J. B. Bell equalised in fifteen minutes after clever work by MacFarlane. Following upon this, right up to the end of the game, Aberdeen pressed continuously, and although they were often unfortunate, could not break down the resolute defence of A. G. Hunter, and the Amateur's goal had many hairbreadth escapes. Aberdeen's finishing was often weak, but they were decidedly unlucky only to finish level in a game which they deserved to win by a big margin.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th January 1920

Queen's Park were fortunate to take a point out of their Scottish League game with Aberdeen at Pittodrie yesterday, when each side secured a goal. On the run of the game Aberdeen deserved to have won by a comfortable margin, and while their failure to do so was due partly to rank misfortune, the resolute and pluck defence put up by the amateurs' defence contributed largely to the result.

All the scoring was accomplished in the first fifteen minutes of the game. From a corner kick, finely placed by J. Wright, W. Wylie opened the scoring for Aberdeen with a neat head effort after only three minutes had gone. Following upon this Aberdeen bade fair to increase their lead, but from a breakaway R. Macfarlane, getting possession, crossed accurately to J. B. Bell in front of goal, and the amateurs' right winger, who was lying unmarked, had no difficulty in putting his side on level terms from close range. From hen until the interval Aberdeen monopolised the pressure, and many shots that appeared to be bound for the net were rather fortunately deflected through chance contact with Queen's Park defenders. In the second half the game was rather one-sided, but was always interesting, and there were many exciting passages in the vicinity of the visitors' goal. At times it seemed the home team could do everything but score. Hume, from long range, had a terrific drive, from which the ball rebounded into play after striking the inside of the upright, three of the home players failing to meet the return. On another occasion a clever header by Connon went inches high of the cross-bar after good work by Wylie. While they were unfortunate to a degree, the home forwards were none too deadly at close quarters, and there were occasions when misunderstandings were responsible for favourable opportunities going unimproved upon.

Queen's Park Stalwarts

The Queen's Park attack was effectively smothered throughout, but it is to their credit that they scored from the only opportunity that presented itself to them throughout the game. Their strength lay in their back division and at centre-half. A. C. Hunter, without having any deadly shots to hold, was often in the limelight, and the smartness with which he fielded and cleared many loose balls reflected his ability. The work of R. Steel and R. M. Young at back was superb, especially that of Young, who after a shaky beginning gave a brilliant display. H. Mackenzie was the outstanding half-back, his breaking-up tactics being especially effective, although he did not always part to advantage. S. Anderson was the best of the visiting forwards, and along with R. Macfarlane had several clever runs, but generally the attack was well held by the Aberdeen defence which did not carry a passenger.

About Aberdeen

On the Aberdeen side, Anderson was practically a spectator throughout. Hume and McRobbie were always steady and resourceful at back, but their burden was lightened by the good work of the half-backs, in which division Wright, Robertson, and MacLachlan again excelled. The wing half-backs tackled and placed to advantage, and Robertson again essayed the centre-half berth with conspicuous success. On this occasion the ground was against him, but his display was only little behind that given against Hamilton Academicals on Saturday. All the forwards played well under the conditions, Wylie, Connon and Archibald being outstanding, but they were unfortunate. J. Wright, who was tried in the outside right position, did well at times, but he was not consistent, and on the left, Hutton rather detracted from his effectiveness by his tendency to wander and thereby upset the balance of the line, Connon and Archibald frequently suffering from the inability of the inside left to be in the most advantageous position at the psychological moment.
Considering that many of the public works resumed yesterday morning, the attendance of 12,000 was highly satisfactory, and reflected the growing popularity of the game in Aberdeen.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 6th January 1920

N.B. The match was originally scheduled to be played at the beginning of October 1919 but was cancelled by the Scottish League due to a railway strike.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, McRobbie, Hume, Wright, Robertson, MacLachlan, Wright, Wylie, Connon, Hutton, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Queens Park Teamsheet:  A. C. Hunter; R. Steel, R. M. Young; J. Donaldson, H. Mackenzie, D. Cameron; J. B. Bell, J. Dixon, A. V. Russell, R. Macfarlane, S. Anderson


Referee: W. G. Johnstone, Edinburgh

Related Links: