Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1897-98 fixture list
Northern League 
Victoria United 4 - 2 Orion
Kick Off:    McPherson, Ritchie, Burnett, Ritchie       ?, McFarlane  
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
For a second Saturday in succession, Orion and Victoria United tried conclusions, the game on this occasion taking place at Victoria Bridge Grounds, under Northern League auspices. After the defeat of the United by the Orion on the previous Saturday, it was generally expected that the Cattofield men would be able to repeat the performance, and, in anticipation of an exciting game, over 5000 spectators turned out. The weather was line but cold, a somewhat stiff breeze blowing right across the field. The ground was in capital order. The teams lined up as follows: Orion - McBean; Ross, Scott; Currie, Low, Dawson; Webster, McFarlane, Thom, Wilson, Hogg. United - W. Allan; McNeil, A. Allan; Morrice, Moffat, Thornton; McPherson, Carlin, Burnett, Henderson, Ritchie. Mr T, Scott, Montrose, was referee. The United started the ball, but a few minutes elapsed before either team got away. At length Hogg and Wilson sped towards their opponents' goal, but here they met with a vigorous resistance. Shot after shot was directed towards Allan, Thom and Hogg especially having beautiful tries. McPherson got down for the United, finishing a brilliant run along the wing by shooting the ball past McBean and into the net, thus opening the scoring for the ground team. Orion afterwards had a spell of attacking, but Allan defended superbly. The United by a flank movement get down on the Orion defence, and Ritchie, skilfully negotiating a pass, registered a second goal. From this point till half-time, the game was practically in the hands of the Victorians, who, before ends were changed, secured a third point, through Burnett. At half-time the score stood: United, 3 ; Orion, 0.

The game in the second period was less unevenly contested. A hot attack by the Orion culminated in the ball being rushed through the United's goal thus drawing first blood for the visitors. United, however, not to be outdone, put on a fourth point through Ritchie. Shortly before the close, McFarlane added a second goal for the Orion, and the game ended: Victoria United, 4; Orion, 2.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 4th October 1897

An even larger crowd turned out to witness the League game between the above two. Orion played the same team that knocked the Vics out of the Qualifying ties the previous week. The home club played Craig instead of Morrice, who was indisposed. United kicked off and immediately made tracks for McBean, but Hugh Ross stepped in and relieved. Orion had a turn at the other end; McNeil and Allan, however, proved too much for them. The first goal came from the foot of McPherson, who scored after a grand run which was initiated by Henderson. The Stripes strove hard to get on even terms, but the Vics: defence managed to keep their goal intact. Before half time Ritchie and Burnett had each added a point, and the whistle sounded with the Blues leading by 3-0.

After resuming, Orion wakened up a bit and pressed hard. The Allans were in rare form, and had a lot to do with the Stripes' non-success. United then took up the running, but also failed to improve matters. At last, after a persistent attack, the Stripes' efforts were rewarded, and the leeway reduced by one. The ball had not long been set in motion when Ritchie, taking advantage of a misunderstanding between Ross and Scott, banged the fourth goal past McBean. Play for some time rested mostly in favour of Orion, but it was only in the last minutes of the game that they managed to score. A hard and fast game ended in favour of the Vics by 4-2.

Source: Bon-Accord, 7th October 1897

Short Kicks.

The Orion, strange to say, succumbed to the same score as they passed into the next round of the Qualifying ties. The defeat will do them little harm, and may perhaps prove a blessing in disguise by making the men be on their best behaviour at Inverness on Saturday.
Inverness would have come to Aberdeen for the small sum of £40 and half gate. It wouldn't have been a bad spec for the Highlanders if Orion had closed.
Captain Pirie, the popular M.P., was an interested spectator at Saturday's game.
Henderson was the best forward on the field. This is his first match for Vics in which he has not scored. Up to Saturday he had 5 out of the 10 goals scored by the Blues. The changing of Burnett to centre and Carlin to inside left was a decided improvement. Carlin will have to come a bit yet ere he is class for the others.
Although well represented in the press box, some of our con-temporaries did not discover Morrice was absent from the Vics.
Allan at back has astonished not a few by his grand display. The halves were also in rare form, Moffat being if anything best. Craig made a capital appearance in senior ranks.
Orion's display was not a shadow of that of the previous week. The half back line worked untiringly, but with weakness in front and behind a lot of their play went for nothing
We would advise the Orion committee to keep a stricter watch on their players during the week.
We hope to see a complete change at Inverness on Saturday. If Orion get through this round they will be among the last six¬teen, and if luck favours the Stripes we have a chance of seeing one of the "stars" at Cattofield. Best wishes go with them.

Source: Bon-Accord, 7th October 1897

Victoria United Teamsheet:  W. Allan; McNeil, A. Allan; Morrice, Moffat, Thornton; McPherson, Carlin, Burnett, Henderson, Ritchie


Orion Teamsheet:  McBean; Ross, Scott; Currie, Low, Dawson; Webster, McFarlane, Thom, Wilson, Hogg


Referee: Mr. T. Scott, Montrose

Related Links: