Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1950-51 fixture list
Reds 6 - 2 Blues
    Trial Match (Reds vs. Blues)
Kick Off:  7:00 PM         Beaton 1, Hay.  
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
McNeill Shows Himself a Natural Ball Player

IF last night's trial form is accepted as a guide, Aberdeen F.C. are going to field the smartest reserve team since the war during the coming season.

Several of the Dons' junior captures impressed the 16,000 crowd. Mr Halliday, the Aberdeen manager has picked up a clever little ball player in McNeill, of Bridgeton Waverley.
Although short of training, he showed himselt to be a natural footballer.
Young, former centre half of Blantyre Vics., Scottish Junior Cup winners, was a powerful defender for the reserves.
He was both strong and wholehearted in the tackle and he played well enough last night to suggest that he will be challenging for a place in the league team before the end of the season.
Another up and coming lad is Eddie Beaton, who came to Pittodrie from Clydebank Juniors. He was quick and keen and showed good positional sense.
O'Neill, another Bridgeton Waverley product, is a well-built right half who gives promise of making the grade, and Hugh Hay (Banks o' Dee) showed some clever touches at inside left.
Dave Aitken (Banks o' Dee), who was given a run at left back, gave a splendid exhibition of clean kicking, particularly in the first half, against Boyd.

Not Spectacular

David Shaw and Alan Boyd, ready-made players who were signed to strengthen the first team, appeared in the probable league side. The former Hibs defender is not the spectacular type, but last night he was quietly effective and revealed a sound positional sense.
Boyd seemed to be a trifle overanxious, but he has a fine turn of speed and he played sufficiently well to suggest that he will solve one of Aberdeen's biggest problems last season - outside right.
As was to be expected, the probable first team won by 6-2, but "The Rest" put up a better show than the score suggests. Only one change was made in the teams at half-time, Baikie substituting for Harris at left half.
The Blues shook the Dons within a minute of the start by taking the lead. It was clever footwork by the diminutive McNeill that led to the score, although Beaton claimed the goal.
A typical adroitly-directed header by Hamilton from a free kick from Harris two minutes later put the teams level. With nineteen minutes played the Reds went ahead. When Aitken attempted a pass back Hather came hurtling in from the wing to run the ball into the net. The score was unchanged at the interval.
The experience and superior training of the first team players became apparent in the second period. Hamilton netted from close in from a cross from Hather, and Boyd followed with a cracking scoring shot during an all-out Reds' attack. In twenty-five minutes Anderson came charging upfield to find the net with a spectacular swerving shot from twenty-five yards' range.

Hit Back

The young fellows hit back when McMillan turned a cross from Lamont into the middle and Hay cutely hooked the ball into the net.
Yorston completed the scoring when he rammed home a cross from Baird to notch the Reds' sixth goal.
Emery, McKenna and Bruce were missing from last night's teams. Emery and Bruce were suffering from minor injusries and should be in action tomorrow evening, while McKenna is convalescing from his appendix operation.

Source: Press & Journal, 3rd August 1950

Reds Teamsheet:  Martin, Merchant, Shaw, Anderson, McKenzie, Harris (Baikie 46), Boyd, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather


Blues Teamsheet:  Watson, Chalmers, Aitken (Banks o' Dee), O'Neil, Young, Newman, Lamont, McNeill, Beaton, Hay, McMillan


Referee: Doug Gerrard, Aberdeen

Related Links: