Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1932-33 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
St. Johnstone 2 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Benson 62, Davidson 64       Love 38, Love.  
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Muirton Park, Perth

Moore Injured for Third Time.


Aberdeen, with two matches yet to play - against Rangers (h) and Queen's Park (a) - have equalled last year's total of points.

On Saturday they required one point do this, and by sharing four goals with St. Johnstone at Muirton Park they succeeded in reaching last year's total of forty-one.
A draw did neither side injustice in a game which, although lacking in brilliance, was always interesting.
Next week the Dons tackle the Light Blues at Pittodrie in a match which may have a direct bearing on the League championship, and in view of this it is unfortunate that Moore, the Pittodrie centre-forward, sustained a wrenched ankle which may keep him out of the game.
The Irishman came by his injury fifteen minutes from the end, when was forced to leave the field.
Aberdeen's dashing leader has had an unfortunate season. This is the third occasion on which he has been injured, and each time when most needed by his club.

A Dour Display.

Aberdeen fought dourly at Muirton on Saturday. For the first half-hour the Saints were on top, but although clever in the outfield, their attack was lacking in finishing power.
Towards the interval the Dons began to fight back, and with thirty-eight minutes gone Love headed home a Beattie cross after he had struck the upright.

Ten minutes after the start of the second half St Johnstone made a change in attack, Benson going to outside-left and Stewart taking the leadership.
The rearrangement early met with success, Benson heading the equaliser in seventeen minutes. Two minutes later the Dons found themselves in arrears, Davidson netting a grand second goal for the home side.
This reverse had the opposite effect on the Dons from what one would have expected, for instead of falling away they struck their best form, and Love headed through the equaliser from a Johnston centre.
Shortly afterwards Aberdeen lost the services of Moore, and they were hard pressed to retain their equality.

Not Instructive.

Aberdeen's experiment of playing the reserve team half-back line did not prove very instructive. In fact, one was forced to the conclusion that there little to choose between the respective lines of the first and second teams.
O'Reilly was the most accomplished of the trio. He was a success in defence, and his quick forward thrusts and long ground passes often set the Aberdeen attacking machine in motion.
The true capabilities of Thomson could not judged, for he restricted himself to the role of third back.
Over-anxiety spoiled Donald's play to a certain extent, but he was nothing if not wholehearted.
Smith, in goal, distinguished himself with several really fine saves, and Cooper and McGill were a pair of stout if not brilliant defenders.
Moore was nippy and dangerous until he was injured. Johnston, well supported by O'Reilly, got across many accurate centres, and Beattie, his partner, was probably the hardest worker afield.
Robertson and Love, the left wing, were seen to best advantage in the first period.

Creditable Debut.

Wylie, in the Saints' goal, was not very impressive, but Taylor, who was making his debut, and Clark, were a pair of sound defenders.
The intermediate trio was only mediocre, Ireland, at centre-half, being prominent. Dickie, the ex-Aberdeen forward, and Davidson, were clever and quick in an attack which combined well the in outfield but was lax at goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th April 1933

St. Johnstone Teamsheet:  Wylie; Taylor, Clark; mason, Ireland, Ferguson; Ritchie, Dickie, Benson, Davidson, Stewart


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, O'Reilly, Thomson, Donald, Johnston, Beattie, Moore, Robertson, Love.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. Webb, Glasgow

Related Links: