Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1936-37 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Kilmarnock
Kick Off:  2:15 PM   Fraser 6, Armstrong 11.        
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

Display Not Wholly Satisfactory


Two goals up within eleven minutes, Aberdeen finished easy winners against Kilmarnock at Pittodrie. Their display, however, was not wholly satisfactory. Considering that they had three-fourths of the play, they should have finished with a much more substantial margin than two goals.

These two early successes had a bad effect. The Dons continued to dominate matters, but they lacked the incentive to push home their advantage. Had Kilmarnock managed to snap a goal things might have been different. Aberdeen would then have had to concentrate all their energies on increasing their total.
The loss of the two early goals knocked Kilmarnock out of their stride, and although they fought back pluckily they rarely threatened any real danger.

Visitors' Stout Defence

The Ayrshire defence, however, deserves credit for a stout display in the face of heavy odds. But for the never-say-die spirit of Miller, Anderson, and Leslie, Aberdeen would undoubtedly have increased their advantage.
The game was only six minutes old when Aberdeen went ahead. McKenzie worked the ball through, and then parted to Fraser. The right-half sent in a terrific drive from twenty-two yards' range, and although Miller dived and managed to get his hands to the ball he could not prevent it crossing the line.
Five minutes later Armstrong finished off good work on the right when he guided a Fraser centre into the net.
Strong and ruthless as the tackling the Kilmarnock defence was, the Dons should have had more than two goals. Skilful ball play and clever combination are all very well, but it's goals that count, and the Aberdeen forwards would do well to bear this in mind.

Kilmarnock Attack Held,/p> The Aberdeen backs and half-backs kept a tight grip of the Kilmarnock attack. Smith in goal had few direct shots to deal with, his most difficult save being from an awkward lob from Roberts in the first half.
Cooper and McGill were steady, the former kicking with more power and accuracy than in recent games. Falloon saw to it that J. Robertson got no chances.
Fraser was Aberdeen's best half-back. The Dons' skipper gave a fine display, and that he was in close contact with the attack is exemplified by the fact that he scored one goal and played a prominent part in the other. Dunlop was a hard-working left-half.
McKenzie was the No. 1 attacker. He was clever and resourceful, and engineered many of the attacking movements. It was one of the inside-right's best displays of the season.
Armstrong had more freedom at inside left than as leader of the attack, and played a useful game, taking his goal smartly.
In Scott, Aberdeen have a reserve player who is developing into a first-class centre-forward. He gave a plucky display against Kilmarnock, and although yet a trifle lacking in experience he revealed some clever touches.
Warnock got across some good centres, but experienced difficulty in eluding Leslie. Strauss, on the left, was rarely allowed to become dangerous, but he failed to take advantage of two good scoring chances that came his way in the closing stages of the game.
Kilmarnock was well served in defence. Miller had a number of excellent saves, and he was well supported by Anderson and Leslie, a pair of strong, rugged defenders.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th December 1936

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Dunlop, Warnock, McKenzie, Scott, Armstrong, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Miller; Anderson, Leslie; G. Robertson, McClure, Ross; Thomson, Williamson, J. Robertson, Beattie, Roberts


Referee: D. F. Reilly, Port Glasgow

Related Links: