Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1936-37 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Motherwell 1 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:           
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Fir Park, Motherwell



With ten minutes to go and Motherwell leading 1-0, Dunlop, the Dons' right half, sent the ball crashing into the net from about twenty yards range. The player was almost smothered by the congratulations of his team-mates, but to their consternation the goal was disallowed for offside.
The Aberdeen players appealed strongly, and so insistent were they that the referee consulted one of his linesmen. Apparently both officials were of the same opinion, for the referee did not change his decision.


The Aberdeen players hold the opinion that it was a good goal but, be that as it may, on play Motherwell deserved the points. Aberdeen gave an uninspiring display. They impressed neither in defence nor attack, and they will have to show considerable improvement if they are to dispose of Third Lanark in the Scottish Cup at Pittodrie on Saturday.
Only during the last ten minutes of the match at Fir Park did the Dons reveal anything like championship form.
Despite the fact that they had the advantage of the breeze in the first half, Aberdeen were confined mostly to defensive play. Motherwell were always dangerous, and following a futile claim for a penalty, when Stevenson fell as he went to meet a Grant free kick, McGill headed a try by Ferrier clear on the goal-line. Johnstone saved brilliantly from Stevenson and McGillivray.


Only two minutes of the half remained for play when Motherwell secured what proved to be the winning goal. Following a free kick by Grant, Johnstone knocked out a terrific drive by Ferrier and Stewart ran in to send into the net.
Motherwell continued to hold the advantage after the interval, and Ogilvie, on the right, was a continual source of danger. Little was seen of the Aberdeen attack during this period until the closing ten minutes, when Scott went to centre-forward and Armstrong to outside-right. Aberdeen rallied desperately, and after the goal had been disallowed both Strauss and Armstrong came within an ace of netting the equaliser.
McGill was the weak link in the Aberdeen defence. The left-back did not possess the speed to cope with Ogilvie, and never got a grip of the winger. Cooper started shakily against Ferrier, but gradually gained the upper hand.
Aberdeen's heroes, however, were Johnstone and Falloon, and but for this pair Aberdeen would probably have conceded more than one goal. Johnstone came through a trying ordeal with credit, and made one or two brilliant saves. Falloon's covering up was excellent, and time and again he nipped in to bring off spectacular clearances when danger threatened.
There was little to enthuse over in the play of the wing halves. Dunlop and Thomson. Both have been seen to better advantage. They gave the forwards little assistance, and their efforts to check the home attack were only partly successful.


The Aberdeen forwards were generally well held by the opposing defence. Armstrong could not elude Blair, while Mills gave one of his poorest displays of the season. Both players, however, were injured in the second half. McKenzie was a hard worker, but met with little success, and Strauss was too well watched to be dangerous.
The experiment of playing Scott at outside-right did not prove a success. The reserve centre was plucky, but was not fast enough to beat Ellis. He proved more useful when he took up the leadership of the attack.
Motherwell were strong in defence. McArthur in goal received excellent protection from Hynds and Ellis, a pair of "do-or-die " backs. The home team was well served at half-back by Grant, Blair, and McKenzie. Blair confined himself to defence, while the wing halves combined defence and attack cleverly.
Ogilvie was the most dangerous forward afield, and he got good support from McGillivray. Stewart was well held, but the Stevenson-Ferrier combine was dangerous in the first half.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th February 1937

Motherwell Teamsheet:  McArthur; Hynds, Ellis; Grant, Blair, McKenzie; Ogilvie, McGillivray, Stewart, Stevenson, Ferrier


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, McGill, Dunlop, Falloon, Thomson, Scott, McKenzie, Armstrong, Mills, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. Horsburgh, Bonnyrigg

Related Links: