Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 2 Clyde
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Nicholson 55 (Pen).       Martin 6, Martin 30  
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen



Aberdeen surrendered their home record to Clyde on Saturday. The Dons have fallen away badly in recent weeks, but the latest defeat before their own supporters is the bitterest blow of all. It seems that Aberdeen's challenge for League honours has been sounded and silenced.

They were perhaps unlucky to lose both points to Clyde. There was that first-held shot by Biggs, which Brown saved in miraculous fashion; there was that try of Brady's that struck the crossbar; and there was that goal by Thomson disallowed. Hard luck, certainly, but the fact of the matter was the team did not play well.
A snappy Clyde attack exposed weaknesses in the Aberdeen defence in the first half, and, let it be said, the chief weakness was not at left back. Graham was the best defender they had.


Whether or not Biggs, who joined Aberdeen from Hearts last week, will provide the punch that has been missing from the Aberdeen attack remains to be seen. The Englishman got few chances to shine against Clyde.
The line as a whole proved ineffective. They did the major part of the pressing in the second half, but all they had to show for it was a penalty goal. The forwards had no concerted plan of attack. They lacked a general. They worked as individuals, not as a combined force. That was the difference between Aberdeen and Clyde.
Martin, who will lead the Scottish attack on Wednesday, scored both Clyde's goals in the first half. The first came after six minutes' play. Gillies took the ball down the left, rounded Cooper with surprising ease, and crossed for Martin to beat Nicholson and head into the net.
With half an hour gone Martin repeated the performance. This time the ball came over from the right, Kirk crossing when Thomson delayed his tackle.
The Clyde centre struck the upright in the opening minutes of the second half, and at the other end the crossbar prevented a shot from Brady from entering the net.


With ten minutes played the Dons were awarded a penalty. Armstrong was going through when he was brought down by Hickie, and Nicholson netted from the spot-kick.
Shortly after this came the disallowed goal. Thomson took a free-kick just outside the penalty area. He sent into a crowd of Clyde players, caught the rebound and drove into the net. The referee disallowed the goal, but for what infringement nobody seems quite clear. The home players appealed strongly, but to no avail.
Graham at left back for the Dons started none too confidently, but blossomed into the best home defender, and three times prevented what seemed likely to be certain goals. Johnstone was not so impressive as usual, and made a poor shape at stopping the first counter.


Copper, at right back, was below form. His kicking was erratic and he never succeeded in devising a plan to stop Gillies. Nicholson was no more successful against Martin. The Clyde centre generally had the better of the argument in the air, and had he been as effective with his feet as with his head he would have scored more than twice.
Thomson was another Aberdeen player who disappointed. The left-half seems to have lost some of his speed and did little to assist the forwards. Scott, the reserve player, proved more useful.
None of the forwards took ant credit from the game and the least impressive member of the line was Armstrong. The centre seems to have lost most of his nippiness and thrust. Brady at inside-right played a hard game, but lacked craft. Warnock and Strauss on the extreme wings threatened danger at times, but were inconsistent.


Had the Aberdeen forwards shown more enterprise the Clyde backs would not have been so effective. In Brown the Shawfield team had a brilliant keeper. Fallon was the general of the defence and played no small part in his side's victory.
Clyde's forwards worked well together, although their finishing could have been improved. They had a dashing leader in Martin, but their brainiest forward was Noble. Gillies was ever dangerous, thanks to the excellent service he received from the inside man.

Source: Press & Journal, 31st October 1938

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Graham, Scott, Nicholson, Thomson, Warnock, Brady, Armstrong, Biggs, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Clyde Teamsheet:  Brown; Robertson, Hickie; Urquhart, Falloon, Weir; Kirk, Wallace, Martisn, Noble, Gillies


Referee: M. C. Dale, Glasgow

Related Links: