Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 3 - 2 St. Mirren
Kick Off:  2:45 PM   Pattillo 29, Nicholson 33 (Pen), Warnock 40.       Knox 48, McLintock 71  
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
LEADING 3-0 at half-time, Aberdeen appeared to have St Mirren well beaten at Pittodrie on Saturday. Appearances, however, proved deceptive. At the finish the Paisley side were fighting for a draw.
The Dons were not impressive. They can and must play a lot better if they intend to go forward in the Scottish Cup at the expense of Queen's Park on Saturday first.
Considering the fact that they were handicapped by injuries St Mirren are due credit for a plucky display. Kinnaird, their left winger, was injured in the first half hour and during his absence Aberdeen scored twice. Bruce, the visiting right back, had to leave the field shortly before the interval, and while he was in the dressing rooms the Dons got their third goal.


Saints rearranged their team after half time. Bruce took up the right wing berth with Ferguson inside, Knox went to right half and Young to full back.
Aberdeen's first goal came after twenty-nine minutes' play. Williams and Thomson made ground on the left and the left half lobbed the ball into the middle. Hamilton screwed it against the post and Pattillo was lying in position to turn it into the net.
Four minutes later Brady was brought down by Young, and the referee awarded a penalty kick. Nicholson beat Rennie from the spot. Five minutes from the interval Warnock got the third goal. Hamilton engineered the movement. He put Williams in possession and when Rennie could only push out the South African's shot. Warnock raced in to score from close range.
St Mirren opened their account three minutes after the start of the second half. Rankine was brought down inside the penalty area, and Knox made no mistake from the spot. McLintock, Bruce and Ferguson all took part in the attack which led to the second goal, the centre netting from Ferguson's pass. This counter came in twenty-six minutes.
Aberdeen's forward play was poor. Except for a brief spell at the start, the line never worked with cohesion and understanding. Hamilton was the best, and he has often been better. His chief fault on Saturday was that he gave his partner too little support.


The inside-right was unfortunate to have a goal chalked off in the first period. He jumped high to head the ball between two Paisley defenders and followed up quickly to send into the net. The referee disallowed the goal, presumably under the impression that Hamilton had brought the ball down with his hand.
Armstrong and Biggs were missed. Pattillo, who again led the attack, as usual showed no lack of pluck and enthusiasm, but his lack of guile was obvious at times, and he rarely succeeded in shaking off the attentions of Cunningham.
Brady, who deputised for Biggs, was disappointing. He held the ball too long and often lost possession, and his passes all too seldom reached their objective. Williams, on the extreme wing, revealed clever touches, but was not thrustful enough. Warnock, on the right, was not seen to advantage, but this was mainly due to the fact that he got little support.
Nicholson played a big part in defence for Aberdeen. Once or twice in the second half McLintock eluded him, but generally the centre-half was master of the situation. Dunlop got through a lot of w r ork at right-half and was a more profitable player than Thomson.


Johnstone in goal was good, and Cowie's clever positional play and accurate kicking made him the best back afield.
St Mirren's defence fought gallantly all through, but their attack, like that of Aberdeen, showed a lack of originality and thrust. Rennie, the former Banks o' Dee keeper, played well in goal, and Young did good work both at half-back and later at full back. Cunningham was the pick of the middle line. He kept a watchful eye on Pattillo and lent his backs valuable assistance.
Ferguson was a lively raider and Rankine was clever on the ball, but both finished weakly. Knox, the mainstay of the Paisley van, was little in evidence. The visitors might have profited had they kept him in the attack instead of moving him back to the half-line.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th January 1939

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, Adey, Dunlop, Nicholson, Thomson, Warnock, Hamilton, Pattillo, Brady, Williams.

Unused Subs:


St. Mirren Teamsheet:  Rennie: Bruce, Craven; Young, Cunningham, Kelly; Ferguson, Knox, McLintock, Rankine, Kinnaird


Referee: R. G. Benzie, Irvine

Related Links: