Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1976-77 fixture list
Scottish Cup Third Round 
Dunfermline Athletic 0 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Harper 58.  
Attendance: 11,899
Venue: East End Park, Dunfermline
Aberdeen played a 3rd round Scottish Cup match in Dunfermline almost 20 years ago and today's game is similar to a European cup-tie spread over two legs, although there is no "away goals" rule.

The start was delayed by a quarter of an hour as there were still about 3000 fans outside the ground at 3 o'clock. The pitch was like an ice-rink and the goalmouths had been liberally sanded. It was soon obvious that underfoot conditions were treacherous with players slithering all over the pitch. However, the ground conditions were not responsible for the numerous free kicks being awarded in the early stages. Dunfermline forced the pace and Bowie had a bad miss from an Evans cross.
The home side did have the ball in the net but offside was given. Bobby Clark twice came to Aberdeen's rescue as he thwarted Watson and then Georgeson. For a spell Glark was the busiest plaver on the pitch as the home side pressed for the apening goal. Willie Garner and Willie Miller were not happy on the bad surface, Jocky Scott relieved the pressure with a mazy run but his shot went wide. Another good run by Scott set up a chance for Stuart Kennedy but Whyte diverted the full back's shot for a fruitless corner. The Dons were now right back in the game and Dom Sullivan pounced on a poor pass back, only for the keeper to save again at the expense of a corner. Another surging run and shot by Kennedy had Whyte in difficulty but the effort was scrambled clear. At this joint Joe Harper decided to change his boots!
Aberdeen were now in control, with Kennedy providing the inspiration. His 60 yard run ended in him being badly fouled. A smart move between Drew Jarvie and Arthur Graham ended with Meakin booting the ball out of danger.

Dunfermline restarted in determined fashion and, when Garner fouled Evans, Meakin drove the free kick narrowly past. Graham then broke away, beat three defenders cleverly on the frozen surface and had his goal-bound shot blocked by Markey. Gradually the Dons were getting on top again with Graham proving to be a menace to the home defence. He was now beating Thomson repeatedly and was responsible for creating the opening goal in 58 minutes. He again left Thomson in his wake, parted to Harper, whose shot seemed to deflect off Meakin on its way into the net.
Dunfermline tried to rally but the Dons now controlled the midfield. Harper sent Scott away and his cross found Sullivan whose lob landed on top of the net. Frost was now setting in as darkness fell and underfoot conditions became even more treacherous. Scott tested the keeper and then Miller twice stopped promising home raids. In the last part of the game Aberdeen piled on the pressure in a bid to secure the tie, in the last few minutes, Harper and Graham both sent the ball past the post when it seemed easier to score. It was as well that Harper played - he scored the only goal after having the plaster removed from his broken arm a day or two earlier.

Source: Match Programme, 21st May 1995

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet:  Whyte, Thomson, Markey, Scott, Salton, Meakin, Watson, Bowie (MacLeod 82), Georgeson, Evans, Donaldson


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, McLelland, Smith, Garner, Miller, Sullivan, Scott, Harper, Jarvie, Graham.

Unused Subs: Robb, Shirra.


Referee: J. R. P. Gordon, Newport-on-Tay

Related Links: