Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1983-84 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 5 - 0 St. Johnstone
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Miller 7, Black 11, McGhee 60, Black 70, Stark 77.        
Attendance: 12,400
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Crowd 'Pullers of Perth' are taken to the cleaners!
It was an unfortunate quirk of fate for St. Johnstone to be playing the Dons on the anniversary of the outbreak of the Second World War. Aberdeen's big guns proved to be too powerful for the newly-promoted Saints in front of 12,000 spectators, as they 'rifled' in five goals.

St. Johnstone were determined to prove that they had not travelled to Pittodrie just to make up the numbers. Aberdeen's early pressure was rewarded with two goals in the first 11 minutes. After Saints 'keeper McDonald had finger-tipped an Alex McLeish header over the bar, he was beaten in seven minutes when Willie Miller headed home from a Peter Weir corner to claim his first goal of the season.
Four minutes later John McMaster sent Weir away on the left wing. His cross was flicked against the post by John Hewitt and Eric Black was first to the rebound to poke the ball into the net. The loss of these two early goals did not dampen Saints' enthusiasm, although they knew they were now on a difficult mission. They defended stoutly without threatening Jim Leighton's goal. A glorious move involving Neale Cooper, Billy Stark and Peter Weir almost culminated in a goal but the ball slipped past the post.
In 25 minutes Doug Rougvie limped off with an ankle injury but returned six minutes later to find that the Dons were still dominating without adding to their total. Just before half-time McDonald brilliantly saved a vicious 30 yard shot from Weir and then Black squandered an easy chance.

St. Johnstone restarted brightly but failed to upset the international central defensive partnership of Alex McLeish and Willie Miller. In fact Miller took time off from his defensive duties to surge upfield and almost scored from a Cooper pass. McLeish and Rougvie followed their skipper's example and their parting efforts went narrowly past. Brannigan replaced Beedie in 55 minutes with Mark McGhee coming on for Hewitt four minutes later.
McGhee soon made his mark (excuse the pun!) on the game, casually prodding the ball over the goal-line when the visiting defence failed to clear a loose ball. Two minutes later Neil Simpson appeared in place of Weir. Before the substitute could touch the ball, Black netted his second goal. McDonald could only palm out a Stark volley and the teenager was quick to knock home the ball. The Dons were now rampant and eager to add to their tally. Stark converted a Black pass in 77 minutes with an accurate low shot into the corner of the net. Twice in the closing minutes Rougvie and Black were denied by the woodwork and the overworked 'keeper had an outstanding save from a swerving McMaster shot.
This result meant that Aberdeen had scored 24 goals in five League and League Cup matches.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Rougvie, McMaster, Cooper, McLeish, Miller, Stark, Bell, Black, Hewitt (McGhee 59), Weir (Simpson 69).

Unused Subs:


St. Johnstone Teamsheet:  McDonald, Kilgour, McVicar, Beedie (Branigan 55), Caldwell, Rutherford, Gibson, Brogan, Blair, Morton, Addison


Referee: H. Young, Larkhall

Related Links: