Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Hibernian 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Brown (71)       Anderson 6.  
Attendance: 10,682
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
All Square at Easter Road
The game got off to an explosive start when David Preece was called into action after only 20 seconds. The keeper had to look lively as he came out to save at the feet of Gary O'Connor. Seconds later Scott Muirhead, making his first start for the first team, found himself clean through with acres of space but Andersson in the Hibs goal saved well. Markus Heikkinen then had a great run and was only just stopped at the last minute as he twisted and turned in the box. From the resulting corner Russell Anderson had his header cleared off the line with the Hibs keeper well beaten.

The Dons then had another great chance as Tosh broke clear on the right but was unable to pick out any of the unmarked red jerseys and the ball was cleared. Tosh then made amends with a brilliant corner resulting in Russell Anderson rising to head the ball powerfully into the Hibs net. The Dons attacking approach and strong running was causing the Hibs defence huge problems. With 15 minutes on the clock Tosh broke clear again and his cross was only inches away from Muirhead.

Hibs finally responded a minute later and Preece made a fine save to stop a powerful shot from O'Connor. Hibs should have scored from the corner as Wiss was given a free header but somehow managed to put his effort wide. Hibs were now coming more into the game and the Aberdeen defence was caught out as the ball was played in behind McNaughton. Brebner had time to look up and shoot but his effort rebounded off of the cross-bar. The ball then fell to Tam McManus who was unable to find the empty net as Preece scrambled back. McManus again forced Preece into a good save with a free-kick which the keeper pushed wide. On 25 minutes O'Connor had another great chance but headed wide from 5 yards with Anderson and Preece both stranded.

After half an hour Hibs had an appeal for a penalty as O'Connor broke into the box but referee Brines rightly judged the tackle by Hart to be a fair one. The play continued to rage from end to end with both defences looking suspect. On 40 minutes the sharp looking Leigh Hinds had a fine run but after making space for the shot hit the ball weakly into the arms of Andersson. Jamie McQuilken then came to the Aberdeen rescue a minute later as he cleared off the line from another dangerous Hibs corner.

Half-time: Hibs 0 Aberdeen 1

Hibs started the second half brightly and after a fine move, Brebner had a good chance but his effort sailed wide. On 51 minutes the Reds had their first chance of the second period and it very nearly brought a second goal. From another dangerous corner, Muirhead held the ball up and played it back to Heikkinen whose left foot shot from the edge of the area sailed inches wide. Five minutes later more indecision in the Hibs defence let in Tosh but his shot from a tight angle went wide.

On the hour mark Preece pulled off another great save low down to his right. Hibs were now in control of the game with the majority of possession as they stepped up their efforts to get an equaliser. Captain Anderson was marshalling his troops well at the back and the Dons continued to look dangerous on the break. On 70 minutes Aberdeen had a massive stroke of luck. The impressive Brebner was played through by Zambernardi. His superb shot seemed goal-bound but thankfully for the Dons the post came to the rescue.

A couple of minutes later however, the visitors luck finally ran out as Hibs got the goal their second half play deserved. Garry O'Connor held the ball up well and with the Aberdeen defence flat-footed he released Scott Brown who smashed the ball past Preece. Straight after the restart, Riordan found himself clear after a simple through-ball, but his low drive produced the save of the match from Preece as he dived low to his left to tip the ball past for a corner. By now there was only one team in the game, with the Aberdeen defence struggling to cope. To try and change things Steve Paterson brought on Michael Bird for Leigh Hinds. On 80 minutes Riordan had another great opportunity but this time his effort went inches wide.

The first touch from Micheal Bird set up Darren Mackie who almost put Sheerin in, but the ball broke for a corner. From the resulting set-piece Hart had a free header which he directed weakly over. The Dons were now coming back into the game with the physical presence of Bird causing problems. In a frantic last few minutes Tosh and Anderson both had half chances but the Dons also had to pull everyone back to deal with some dangerous corners from the hosts as the final whistle blew.

Hibernian Teamsheet:  Andersson, Smith, Murdock, Zambernardi, Murray, McNanus, Brebner, O'Connor, Doumbe, Wiss, Brown

Unused Subs: Glass for Wiss (57), Riordan for McManus (62), Dobie for O'Connor (81)


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McNaughton, Anderson, Hart, McQuilken, Tosh, Heikkinen (Tiernan 83), Sheerin, Muirhead, Hinds (Bird 79), Mackie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Iain Brines, Erskine

Related Links: