Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Aberdeen 0 - 3 Motherwell
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Craig 9, Pearson 77, Lasley 90  
Attendance: 9,895 (Visitors: 432)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Triple Whammy Floors Dons
Aberdeen immediately took the initiative from kick off and a shot on target from Scott Booth was gathered by Marshall in the Motherwell goal. The Steelmen promptly moved up the other end and a header from Lasley posted the visitors' intentions within the first sixty seconds. A great run from Kevin McNaughton resulted in a Booth shot hitting the side netting a minute later. It was a very positive start from Aberdeen and Markus Heikkinen steered a shot just over the bar following a Marshal fumble from a Sheerin corner.

Motherwell were being hemmed into their own half in this opening period but were looking lively when they had opportunities to break. It was one of these opportunities that saw the visitors open the scoring after nine minutes. A great crossfield ball caught the Dons' defence flatfooted and Steven Craig cleverly steered the ball over the helpless David Preece and into the net.

The Dons carried on where they had left off and did not appear to be at all fazed by going behind. Scott Booth turned Craigan in the 20th minute but failed to get enough power in his shot which screwed just wide. Booth again had an opportunity five minutes later but his header from a McNaughton cross landed on the roof of the net.

Good entertaining football was being served up now by both teams with Motherwell in particular looking the hungrier. 'Well manager terry Butcher had obviously done his homework as Tuesday's man of the match Scott Muirhead was being kept relatively subdued on the left side.

In the 41st minute a great 60 yard run from Muirhead roused the home support as the Dons pressed for the equaliser before halftime. A head flick from Booth following a Tosh corner sailed just over the top as Aberdeen failed to draw level at the interval.

Manager Steve Paterson switched things around at the break with the Dons taking up a 4-4-2 formation as the second half got underway. Chris Clark replaced Sheerin with Kevin McNaughton moving back into defence. The change certainly caused Motherwell problems in the early stages of the half as the Dons went full tilt for the equalising goal. Marshall in the Motherwell goal had to look lively to pull off a great fingertip save from Phil McGuire. The resulting corner was punched out by the keeper only for Kevin McNaughton to power in a drive from distance which was well held.

The Dons were looking more and more dangerous now and a clever Tosh/Booth one-two ended with Tosh's effort being saved once again by the alert Marshall in the Motherwell goal. Not to be outdone, the visitors promptly tested the Dons keeper at the other end with goalscorer Craig being denied his second by good work from Preece.

Preece again came to the Dons' rescue when he pulled off a great save from Pearson as Motherwell came roaring back into the game. The Dons brought on Mackie for Zdrilic in the 76th minute but within a minute of the change Motherwell caught the Dons out on the breakaway again as Stephen Pearson landed the sucker punch counter attack, firing home from inside the penalty area to send the small band of visiting fans into raptures.

The Dons continued to press (as they had done all throughout the game) but to little or no effect as several chances went a-begging. As the final whistle beckoned, Motherwell were content to keep things tight and preserve their lead, but one more breakaway opportunity was gratefully accepted by Lasley as he claimed the visitors' third goal.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Anderson, Deloumeaux, McNaughton, McGuire, Sheerin (Clark 46), Muirhead, Tosh, Booth, Zdrilic (Mackie 76), Heikkinen (Diamond 72).

Unused Subs:


Motherwell Teamsheet:  Marshall, Craigan, Partridge, Hammell, Corrigan, Lasley, Adams, Leitch, Pearson, Clarkson, Craig

Unused Subs: Dair for Clarkson (45).

Bookings:  Craig (73)

Referee: Kevin Toner, Gourock

Related Links: