Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Scottish Cup Quarter Final 
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Livingston
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Muirhead 56.       Anderson og (50)  
Attendance: 11,593 (Visitors: 382)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Cup Latest
Aberdeen and Livi have to do it all again after sharing a goal each at Pittodrie this afternoon. After an instantly forgettable first half the game burst into life after the break. After losing two players to injury in the opening period the Dons bad luck continued after the break when Anderson turned a Fernandez cross into his own net in the 50th minute. The Dons fought back well and equalised through Muirhead before the teams produced a grandstand finish. There was no further scoring and the sides will meet again on the 16th or 17th of March in West Lothian.

Livingston kicked off and enjoyed the early possession without really threatening David Preece in the Aberdeen goal. Aberdeen then began to settle and ease their way into the match without creating much themselves. The first shot at goal came from Fernandez in the 10th minute when he curled an effort wide of the target from the edge of the box. A minute later the Dons were dealt a severe blow when Heikkinen and Diamond were involved in a sickening collision. The young defender was stretchered off and replaced by Michael Hart with Phil McGuire moving into the middle of the defence.

Aberdeen created their first real chance in the 18th minute when Foster was released on the left. He found Tosh in the centre, but the midfielder failed to find the target with a weak header. A minute later Livi went close when McAllister hit a fierce shot from distance and Preece had to look sharp to block the effort. Aberdeen won their first corner kick in the 21st minute and almost grabbed the lead. Clark whipped in a dangerous delivery and McGuire looked certain to score before being denied by a last minute block. This produced a second corner and a head knock for McGuire.

McGuire recovered and the second corner saw Morrison volley wide at the far post. A snapshot from Tosh also missed the target in the 27th minute as both sides struggled to make an impact. McNamee tried a low drive from the edge of the box in, which was comfortably held by Preece as both sides continued to struggle. The game burst into life in the 38th minute when a terrific double save from McKenzie denied the Dons the lead. A fierce drive from Heikkinen was parried by the keeper and fell to Prunty. It looked as if the youngster would grab his first goal for the club, but McKenzie pulled off a great stop to deny him.

Seconds later Aberdeen lost their second player to injury when Tosh limped off having failed to recover from a crunching challenge from Marvin Andrews. Muirhead replaced as the Dons were beginning to get the upper hand. There were five minutes of injury time at the end of the half, but neither side were able to create anything before the referee brought proceedings to a halt.

Livingston made a positive start to the second half and Preece was forced to punch a corner to safety in the 48th minute. Two minutes later the visitors took the lead when Anderson turned a Fernandez cross into his own net as the Dons luck continued to elude them. Hinds almost levelled in the 54th minute when he cleverly created space inside the penalty area and forced McKenzie into another fine save. The Dons did level in the 56th minute when Muirhead hit a low drive, which McKenzie saw late and failed to keep out. This lifted both the players and the crowd and the Dons were back on top. Hinds again did well on the hour mark and Heikkinen was inches from connecting with his cross.

The visitors were still dangerous and McNamee went close in the 62nd minute when he cut into the penalty area but pulled his effort wide of the target. At the other end a Muirhead cross just evaded the on-rushing Prunty as this cup-tie finally burst into life. The Dons almost gifted a second in the 65th minute when a Hart pass back was intercepted by Lilley. Fortunately Preece did well to get out and smother the ball. A minute later he again reacted quickly to deny the Livi striker. In the 70th minute McGuire attempted to chip McKenzie, but the ball cleared both keeper and bar.

Two minutes later Prunty had a gilt-edged chance to grab his first goal when he broke through the middle after a mix up in the Livi defence. Unfortunately he screwed the effort well wide and Zdrilic replaced him a minute later. Aberdeen had a huge penalty claim in the 78th minute when a McGuire header looked to have touched Rubio's hand. The claim was turned down as play raged on until Morrison fired wildly over the bar. Livi then raced up the field and Lilley went close as he headed a Fernandez cross over the bar. In the 82nd minute McAllister was booked for a challenge on Clark and Morrison fired the free kick well wide of the target.

With 86 minutes gone Muirhead almost grabbed a second when McKenzie was forced to tip a 30-yard drive over the bar. Then two minutes later Hinds got behind the Livi defence again and McKenzie punched his cross clear. Clark found himself in the same position seconds later, but his cross was ineffectual. Livi then raced up field and the Dons had Preece to thank for keeping them in the cup when he made a great block after Lilley went one-on-one with him. The resulting corner saw Clark become the saviour as he cleared an Anderson header off the line to ensure a replay.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, McGuire, Heikkinen, Anderson, Diamond (Hart 14), Clark, Tosh (Muirhead 38), Prunty (Zdrilic 73), Foster, Hinds.

Unused Subs:


Livingston Teamsheet:  McKenzie, McNamee, McAllister, Rubio, Andrews, Dorado, Fernandez, O'Brien, Lilley, Makel, Lovell.

Bookings:  Lovell (57),   McAllister (82)

Referee: Dougie McDonald, Edinburgh

Related Links: