Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2005-06 fixture list
Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dunfermline Athletic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 9,881 (Visitors: 236)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons draw a blank as they slip to eighth
Aberdeen stuttered to a 0-0 result against Livingston at Pittodrie earlier in the season and another dire match produced the same result against the second bottom club. Aberdeen. Struggled to find the guile to break down the Pars with Steve Crawford going closest in the first half. The introduction of Mackie and Foster after the break failed to turn things round and now the prospect of a top six finish, never mind a European spot, looks to be slipping from their grasp.

Aberdeen kicked off and carved out the first chance in the opening minute when Dunfermline failed to clear a Byrne cross. The Dons then won the first corner of the match a minute later, but Smith?s delivery was short and the danger was easily swept away. The match was being played in a surreal atmosphere and Aberdeen were patient in the build up as the visitors got behind the ball in numbers. Dunfermline launched their first attack in the 8th minute when a neat cut back to Makel was fired over the bar. A minute later the Pars won their first corner then forced a free kick on the left as they continued to put the Dons under some pressure.

With 15 minutes gone Aberdeen had been limited to a few speculative efforts that failed to threaten McGregor. Jamie Winter went close in the 16th minute when he fired wide of the target from the edge of the box after being set up by Chris Clark. The Pars went close again three minutes later when Langfield did well to block the effort. A minute later Jamie Smith worked his way into the penalty area before Shields cleared his lines. Campbell was lucky to escape a yellow card in the 23rd minute after a wild challenge on Barry Nicholson. Aberdeen had their best chance of the match in the 29th minute when Crawford capitalised on a mistake by Tod. He raced towards goal but was foiled by McGregor who blocked his shot.

Langfield was called into action again in the 35th minute to gather a Hunt header as the visitors continued to look dangerous coming forward. Another low drive from McNaughton rolled harmlessly past the post in the 39th minute before Dunfermline threatened three minutes later when a weak Langfield punch was fired back over the bar. With a minute of the half remaining good build up play produced a fine shot from Nicholson that at least produced a save from McGregor. Seconds later a deep cross from Crawford was headed wide for a corner before Diamond wasted a good opportunity as his header went tamely wide.

Calderwood brought on Mackie and Foster at the interval to replace Winter and Diamond as the Dons reverted to a back three. Chris Clark forced a corner in the opening minute but once again it was easily cleared. Nicholson won another corner in the 55th minute after a fairly controversial decision had the away team stopping. A minute later Clark had a decent effort blocked after controlling a Mackie knock down. A Smith effort was blocked in the 58th minute before the ball fell to Foster. He cut inside and unleashed a fine shot that went inches wide. There were muted appeals for a Dons spot kick in the 63rd minute but the award would have been harsh.

Two minutes later McGregor was forced to claw a Smith free kick wide before Labonte headed clear as the Dons increased the pressure. The match was then halted for the umpteenth innocuous challenge. Mr Brines was incurring the wrath of the home support and a minute later he awarded the visitors a free kick 20 yards out and booked Considine in the process. The effort was deflected wide of the target and from the subsequent corner ironic cheers rang out as Aberdeen were awarded a free kick. In the 74th minute a Smith cross was spilled by McGregor but there were no Dons forwards to take advantage.

Four minutes later Crawford attempted to chip the ball over the keeper but also scooped it over the bar as the Dons continued to huff and puff. A Smith cross was then missed by everyone before a free kick caused problems before being scrambled clear by the visitors. Then in the 84th minute Foster was bundled to the ground on the edge but no free kick was awarded then Byrne had a great chance deep in the box, but tried to beat one player to much and the chance was gone. Noel Hunt was finally shown a yellow card two minutes later for his umpteenth foul.

A short pass back by McNaughton in the last minute required Langfield to race off his line to clear the danger and seconds later the keeper had to repeat the feat as the Dons defence started to look shambolic as they chased the winner. A couple of corners in injury time failed to produce the required winner as Dunfermline held firm to win a deserved point.

Match Stats:

Dons Pars
Goal Attempts 7 5
On Target 1 3
Corners 7 4
Possession 54% 46%

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Byrne, Considine, McNaughton, Anderson, Diamond (Foster 46), Nicholson, Winter (Mackie 46), Smith, Crawford, Clark.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Considine (70).

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet:  McGregor, Shields, McCunnie, Mason, Makel, Young Dk, Hunt, Tod, Labonte, Ross, Campbell.

Unused Subs: Burchill for Tod (50), Young Dn for Makel (64), Wilson for Young Dk (87)

Bookings:  Hunt (86)

Referee: Iain Brines, Erskine

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)