Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2005-06 fixture list
League Cup Second Round 
Aberdeen 3 - 0 Berwick Rangers
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Winter 38, McNicol (OG) 52, Lovell 71.        
Attendance: 4,398
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons ease past wee gers in CIS cup
Highlights will appear later on RedTV.

Aberdeen eased past Berwick Rangers tonight with a comfortable 3-0 win. Leading at the interval from a spectacular Jamie Winter strike the Dons extended their lead after the break with an o.g. and a well taken goal from Steve Lovell. The o.g. came when McNicol steered a Nicholson effort past the keeper then a powerful solo run from Lovell produced the second. Aberdeen will be looking for a favourable draw in the third round as they look to progress to the later stages.

Berwick Rangers got this tie under way, but it was Aberdeen who won the first corner in the 3rd minute that saw Zander Diamond head an effort wide. Three minutes later the visitors almost grabbed a sensational lead when Langfield was forced into a reaction save to deny Little after some sloppy defending. The Dons came close in the 10th minute when Dempsey released Lovell on the left. The striker cut the ball back across goal and Smith, under pressure, squeezed his shot inches wide of the far post. Seconds later Lovell laid the ball off to Chris Clark, who then drilled a shot off the upright.

Aberdeen were in total control now and both Nicholson and Byrne went close as the Dons looked for the opening. A quick free kick in the 17th minute was almost deflected into the Berwick net and two minutes later the keeper made a finger tip save from Lovell. Incredibly the visitors were then awarded a goal kick denying the keeper bragging rights on a fine save. The Dons went close again in the 25th minute when Nicholson just failed to connect with a McNaughton cross then seconds later Jamie Winter tried an acrobatic effort that went well wide.

The game had now fallen into a lull and Berwick grew in confidence the longer they held out. Lovell should have done better in the 32nd minute when he had glimpse of goal but tried to beat one defender too many and was tackled by Murie. McGroarty collected the first yellow card of the match in the 36th minute for a rash challenge on McNaughton and a minute later Berwick had a half chance before Smith hit a powerful drive that produced a fine double save from Coyle at the other end. The keeper could do nothing in the 38th minute as Winter hit a cracking effort past Coyle from 30 yards. Smith went close to adding a second in the 43rd minute with a lob over Coyle. Unfortunately the effort cleared the bar as well as the keeper. Then in the final minute Lovell headed a Nicholson cross wide of the post when it looked easier to score.

Berwick carved out the first chance of the second half when Langfield had to come off his line and collect a free kick. A minute later Scott Severin had to clear an Arthur effort off the line then at the other end Chris Clark had a shot cleared off the Berwick line by Murie. Aberdeen then extended their lead in the 52nd minute with an own goal. Nicholson delivered a cross from the right and McNicol turned the ball past his own keeper to calm any remaining nerves. Five minutes later the Dons went close again when Byrne steered a Nicholson free kick wide of the target.

On the hour mark Langfield was again called into action when he tipped a 20-yard effort over the bar. From the resulting corner the keeper fumbled before Nicholson cleared. Muirhead replaced Dempsey in the 62nd minute and Smith should have added a third a minute later. The striker was released one on one with the keeper, but he delayed his shot and was tackled by McNicol before he could shoot. Good play between Lovell and Muirhead in the 69th minute forced a fine save from Coyle, but he was helpless two minutes later as Lovell added a third. The striker robbed Hutchison, drove forward and fired the ball low past the keeper.

Smith should have added another in the 78th minute when he steered the ball wide of the post then was immediately replaced by Stewart. Craig then replaced Lovell in the 82nd minute and two minutes later he went close when he lobbed the keeper and the bar. Nicholson collected a silly yellow card in the 85th minute and a minute later Langfield made another fine save as Berwick looked for a consolation. Coyle then made a fine save from a McNaughton volley with two minutes remaining. Berwick kept battling to the end, but by now the job had been completed and Aberdeen were safely in the third round.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Byrne, McNaughton, Nicholson, Diamond, Severin, Winter, Dempsey (Muirhead 62), Lovell (Craig 82), Smith (Stewart 78), Clark.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Nicholson (85).

Berwick Rangers Teamsheet:  Coyle, Murie, McGroarty, McNicol, Horn, McGarty, Gordon, Arthur, Hutchison, McLeish, Little

Unused Subs: Greenhill for McGarty (62), Swanson for Little (74), Da Silva for Gordon (78)

Bookings:  McGroarty (36)

Referee: Kevin Toner, Gourock

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)