Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2005-06 fixture list
Keith 1 - 5 Aberdeen
    Derek Nicol Testimonial Match
Kick Off:  2:00 PM   Nicol Pen 30       Lovell 46, Nicholson 60, Stewart 67, Stewart 71, Smith 73.  
Attendance: 500
Venue: Kynoch Park, Keith
Dons come from behind to see off Keith
After a lacklustre performance from a strong Dons team that left them trailing 1-0 at the interval, Aberdeen stepped up a couple of gears to run out comfortable winners. Steve Crawford made his debut appearance for the Dons and linked well with his teammates and had a hand in three of the goals. Michael Hart also completed his first 45 minutes of the season as he recovers from injury.

Keith dominated the opening 20 minutes of the match forcing Jamie Langfield into a couple of fine saves. Severin produced the Dons first effort in the 21st minute when he hit an effort wide. Three minutes later Crawford produced a turn and shot that was well saved by the keeper. He repeated the move in the 26th minute but fired his shot straight at the keeper a minute after Lovell had looped a header over the bar.

The home side grabbed a deserved lead on the half hour mark with the award of a rather soft spot kick. Muirhead was adjudged to have been guilty of some shirt pulling inside the penalty area although both players looked to be 'at it.' Nevertheless the spot kick was awarded and man of the moment Derek Nicol stepped up to fire his side ahead on his testimonial day. Aberdeen responded and Lovell wasn't too far away as he headed a Muirhead cross over the bar. Keith held out comfortably allowing Manager Calderwood to suitably 'motivate' his men at the interval.

Jamie Smith replaced Michael Hart at the interval and made an immediate impact winning a free kick in the opening minute. Steve Crawford delivered the cross and Steve Lovell rose to head home the equaliser. Aberdeen then took the lead on the hour mark when Keith were penalised for a foul on Crawford. Barry Nicholson stepped up and hit a low free kick past the keeper. Five minutes later Stewart replaced Winter and he also made an immediate impact by hitting a double within six minutes.

Both were set up by new signing Crawford. The first in the 67th minute when Stewart turned a Crawford cross in at the far post then four minutes later he headed home a cross from the same player. The fifth goal was a fine solo effort from Jamie Smith who beat several players before drilling the ball past the keeper. With the scoring complete Foster replaced Lovell and MacAuley replaced Dempsey. John Stewart had a couple of chances to complete his hat trick. Foster set him up in the 80th minute but the ball got caught up between his feet then in the 85th minute the keeper produced a fine save from his powerful header. In between these two efforts Scott Severin had a powerful header crash off the woodwork.
Keith Teamsheet: 


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, McNaughton, Muirhead, Hart (Smith 46), Byrne, Severin, Nicholson, Winter (Stewart 65), Lovell (Foster), Crawford, Dempsey (Macaulay).

Unused Subs:



Related Links: