Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2007-08 fixture list
Cove Rangers 1 - 5 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   Brown pen (39)       Maguire 19, Miller 43, de Visscher 52, Miller 65, Lovell 90.  
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: Allan Park, Aberdeen
Dons cruise to opening win

Aberdeen lined up in a 4-4-2 formation with Lee Mair at left back, Jackie McNamara at right back and Hart and Touzani in the centre of defence. Jamie Smith played in central midfield alongside Scott Severin, with Maguire wide left and de Visscher wide right. Miller partnered Lovell up front.

The match was held up for 15 minutes to allow the huge crowd in and Allan Park's 2,500 capacity must have been severely tested. Soutar almost made a sensational start when his clearance was misjudged by the Cove keeper. The keeper recovered well however and turned the ball wide for a corner.

The match was hardly being played as a friendly as Jeffrey de Visscher was introduced to Scottish football on the receiving end of some meaty challenges. Lee Miller then went close, heading a Severin free kick over before de Visscher and McNamara linked well to set up Lovell. The Englishman's shot was blocked then the heavens opened up leaving the pitch very slippery. The home side then enjoyed a good spell around the 15-minute mark, winning three quick corners. The final set play saw Tindall head over.

The Dons then started to find their range with their passing and a minute later de Visscher blasted over from a corner. The Dons then grabbed the lead in the 19th minute when de Visscher fed Lovell and the striker fired across the face of the goal before Maguire scored from the tightest of angles.

 Maguire went close again three minutes later when he collected the ball on the edge of the box, beat two players and forced the keeper into a terrific save. Severin then had to go off for treatment for a blood injury after being bundled into the advertising hoardings.

Jefferey de Visscher produced another fine run and cross in the 25th minute and five minutes later Maguire played a neat one-two before firing wide. The Dutchman was involved again in the 35th minute when the keeper comfortably held a fine run and shot. Aberdeen were in control at this stage, but a very soft penalty award from referee Cammy McKay brought Cove level. Soutar spilled a cross and as he recovered he was adjudged to have bundled over Watson. Not only did the referee award a spot kick but he also booked the keeper. The Aberdeen players protested furiously but John Brown stepped up and calmly netted to add the icing to his testimonial match.

Minutes later Tindall was fortunate to stay on the park after a shocking tackle on Chris Maguire. The referee settled for a yellow, but tempers were frayed by this stage. Aberdeen regained the lead two minutes before the break when Maguire was brought down again. Smith played a short free kick to Severin and his deflected shot was spilled by the keeper allowing Miller to bundle the ball into the net. In the final minute of the half Smith went close with a header.

 Barry Nicholson replaced Touzani at the interval. The Dutchman had picked up a head knock in the first half and was replaced as a precaution. Scott Severin moved into the back four. Two minutes into the half Lovell curved an effort wide before de Visscher scored a deserved goal in the 52nd minute. Miller played a head flick to Lovell and the Englishman played the ball into the path of de Visscher and his low drive gave the keeper no chance. Miller almost grabbed the fourth in the 63rd minute with a turn and shot that slipped wide.

Two minutes later he did grab his second with a glorious strike from 35 yards that bulleted into the top corner.

Jimmy Calderwood then made a triple substitution in the 75th minute. Dan Smith replaced Maguire, Clark replaced de Visscher and Diamond came on for Severin. A minute later Lovell and Miller combined well and the keeper made a point blank save from Miller. In the 80th minute Lovell steered a Clark cross wide then forced another fine save from the keeper when he was first to react to a Dan Smith cross. The Englishman finally got a deserved goal in the 90th minute when he headed in a Jamie Smith corner.

Jimmy Calderwood was pleased with the evening's work when he spoke to RedWeb after the match. He said, "I was pleased with the spirit of the squad. There was good passing and good movement. Jeffrey did well for his first match in Scotland. He is a clever player and knows the game."

Cove Rangers Teamsheet: 


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Soutar, McNamara, Mair, Hart, Touzani (Nicholson), Severin (Diamond), de Visscher (Clark), Smith, Miller, Lovell, Maguire (Smith).

Unused Subs: Kelly.



Related Links: