Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2007-08 fixture list
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Miller 45.       C Adam 30  
Attendance: 17,798 (Visitors: 3,478)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen battle for a point
Lee Miller's header ends up in the back of the net.Aberdeen failed to hit the heights of Thursday night as they battled for a draw against ten men Rangers. The game burst into life on the half hour mark when Adam opened the scoring and minutes later Hutton made a rash challenge on Chris Clark as the Dons man was escorting the ball out of play. Hutton was booked and the game totally erupted in the 35th minute when Clark looked for retribution on Hutton and was quite rightly booked. For some reason Lee McCulloch took it on himself to take a flying kick at Scott Severin in the aftermath and although Kenny Clark and the South Stand linesman missed the incident. The Main Stand linseman didn't, and the Rangers player quite rightly walked. Lee Miller popped up in injury time of the first half to steer a Byrne cross into the net, but they failed to create anything of note after the break as Rangers dominated for long periods.

Aberdeen kicked off inside another packed Pittodrie and made a positive start without threatening the Rangers goal. Rangers then broke in the 4th minute and won a very soft free kick on the edge of the Aberdeen box. Ferguson swung the ball in and McCulloch headed well wide of the Aberdeen goal. Another similar challenge a minute later was allowed as Rangers looked to have settled quicker. Severin had a very optimistic pop at goal in the 9th minute when he noticed McGregor off his line but the ball went well wide. Good work by Jamie Smith a minute later created a great chance as he fired inches over from the right side of the box.

A god passing move in the 13th minute saw Severin feed Miller but the shot was easily gathered by McGregor. At the other end a loose pass from Considine allowed Hutton in on goal but Langfield made a good block. At this stage Rangers were controlling the midfield and were first to every second ball. In the 18th minute Diamond did well to block a Thomson shot after Hart had lost possession and a minute later Cousin fired over as he was all off balance on the edge of the box. Aberdeen were having to defend desperately at this stage and in the 24th minute it was Diamond on hand again to block a shot from Ferguson.

Adam opens the scoring for Rangers.The game was frantic with little goal mouth action but Rangers took the lead on the half hour mark when a ball drilled across the face of the goal by McCulloch was turned in by Charlie Adam. Two minutes later the game erupted when Hutton made a wild challenge on Chris Clark as the ball was going out for a corner. The Rangers player was booked and Lee Miller followed him into the book as he got himself involved. There was worse to follow a few minutes later when Clark took retribution and earned a yellow. For some reason Lee McCulloch took it on himself to take a flying kick at Scott Severin and although Kenny Clark and the South Stand linesman missed the incident. The Main Stand linseman didn't and the Rangers player deservedly walked.

Although they were down to ten men Rangers were dominating the game and Langfield was forced into a finger tip save from Naismith in the 39th minute and four minutes later he did well to gather a Charlie Adam free kick, which had earned Considine a yellow card. Aberdeen won a corner deep in injury time but McGregor did well to punch the ball clear. The ball came right back into the danger area and Byrne worked his way forward on the right and his cross was headed in by Lee Miller who picked up a kick in the face as he forced the ball over the line.

Aberdeen made two changes at the interval as Maguire and Touzani replaced Considine and Severin. Rangers threatened first when a Cousin cross missed everyone then Smith won a corner in the 49th minute but it was comfortably cleared. At the other end Barry Ferguson had a pot shot from 25 yards but it went well over the bar. Maguire and Miller combined well a minute later but Weir intercepted. Hutton then made an audacious dive under a challenge from Clark and as the linesman awarded a throw in Kenny Clark was conned hook, line and sinker and awarded the free kick.

Lee McCulloch sees red mist before a red cardThe Dons comfortably cleared and at the other end McGregor easily gathered a deflected Touzani effort. On the hour mark Touzani and Maguire combined well and released Miller on the right but Cuellar did well to block the cross and clear the danger. Cousin should have given Rangers the lead in the 65th minute when Byrne lost possession as he tried to force forward and it was left to Jamie Langfield to make a magnificent block to deny the Gabonese striker. At the other end Jamie Smith was blatantly obstructed by Cuellar but failed to win the free kick.

Ten men Rangers had taken control of the game again as Aberdeen struggled to take control of the middle of the park. Touzani was booked for a poor challenge on Hutton in the 72nd minute but Aberdeen went close a minute later when Weir intercepted a Foster cross as Nicholson looked to pounce. A mistake by Touzani five minutes later almost allowed substitute Boyd to score. The striker was set up by Naismith but pulled his effort wide. At the other end Maguire burst into the box, but could only cut the ball back into the hands of McGregor.

Lee Mair replaced Chris Clark in the 79th minute but once again it was Boyd, looking suspiciously offside, who broke and fired wide from 20 yards. Diamond almost handed Rangers an early Christmas gift in the 83rd minute when he stuck a foot out at a Naismith cross and steered the ball inches over the bar. At the other end Ferguson made an important challenge deep inside his own box. Aberdeen won a corner two minutes from time but the set play came to nothing as Mair and Smith went for the same ball on the edge of the box. At the other end Boyd was inches from connecting with a Naismith cross and in the dying seconds a Mair header was scooped over the bar as honours were shared at the end of the match.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Hart, Byrne, Foster, Diamond, Considine (Touzani 45), Nicholson, Severin (Maguire 45), Miller, Smith, Clark (Mair 77).

Unused Subs: Soutar, Smith, Lovell, Aluko.

Bookings:  Miller (33),  Clark (35),  Considine (42),  Touzani (70).

Rangers Teamsheet:  A McGregor, S Naismith, L McCulloch, A Hutton, B Ferguson, D Weir, K Thomson, C Cuellar, C Adam, S Whittaker, D Cousin (K Boyd 73).

Unused Subs: R Carroll, B Hemdani, D Furman, U Ehiogu, G Efrem, S Papac.

Bookings:  A Hutton (32),   C Adam (62).  L McCulloch (36)

Referee: Kenny Clark, Paisley

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)