Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2009-10 fixture list
Aberdeen 0 - 3 Motherwell
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Sutton 29, Jutkiewicz 50, Sutton 53  
Attendance: 9,555 (Visitors: 336)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons crash in the snow
Sutton opens the scoring at PittodrieIt was a bad day at the office this afternoon as Aberdeen crashed 3-0 to a Motherwell side that didn't have to work too hard for their win. After the tremendous win in midweek this was a complete turnaround in form from the Dons. A slip up from Grassi allowed Motherwell to open the scoring in the first half and at that point it was slightly against the run of play. Two further goals in a three minute spell at the start of the second half killed the match however and Aberdeen never looked like pulling one back in an instantly forgettable game. At least Aberdeen only have to wait three days for the opportunity to try and exorcise this particular ghost.

After a snow flurry, the sun came out as Motherwell kicked off. Ruddy was off his line sharply in the 2nd minute to thwart Darren Mackie and two minutes later Fyvie tried to thread a ball through to Mackie, but the delivery was too heavy. Motherwell had a half chance in the 6th minute, but they fired wide. A minute later Miller won a free kick 30 yards out and Mulgrew hit the wall with his free kick, but the follow up was fumbled by Ruddy for the opening corner.

Mulgrew in action at PittodrieGary McDonald was released in the 9th minute, but he couldn't lift the ball over Ruddy and the keeper did well to block. Lasley collected the first caution of the match in the 12th minute for a poor challenge on Foster. Aberdeen had started well and the visiting defence were being kept busy. Hammell forced a corner in the 16th minute and Langfield made a great save as the Dons struggled to clear. A second corner followed but the pressure was eased when Craigan fired well wide from distance.

After a positive start from Aberdeen the visitor's were now coming into the game and won a third corner in the 22nd minute. The ball was cleared and at the other end Fyvie won a free kick 40 yards out. Mulgrew swung the ball in to the danger area, McDonald headed it back across the goal and Mackie was thwarted as he tried to convert. The resulting corner was easily held by Ruddy and Motherwell raced up the pitch to win their own corner. As the ball came across it was sliced by Young requiring Langfield to clear and save his team mate's blushes.

Action from Pittodrie this afternoon.Motherwell took the lead in the 29th minute when O'Brien went past Grassi too easily. His shot was well saved by Langfield, but Sutton was on hand to convert the loose ball. Aberdeen tried to hit back quickly and a minute later a low shot from Foster was deflected wide. The corner came to nothing but in the 33rd minute Foster did well to whip in a dangerous cross, but neither Miller nor Fyvie could take advantage. Aberdeen had slipped out of the game now and Motherwell almost made it 2-0 in the 37th minute, but fortunately Jutkiewicz sliced the ball badly when he looked certain to score.

A quick free kick from Kerr two minutes later almost produced an equaliser but Ruddy saved from Mackie. A Foster shot then deflected off McDonald, but Ruddy again made a terrific save to deny the Dons. Motherwell went close again in the final minute, but in the last second Aberdeen should have scored when Ruddy turned a McDonald shot on to the woodwork. Aberdeen needed to regroup at the interval and step up a gear if they are to turn this one round.

Motherwel are on target again at PittodrieAny signs of regrouping evaporated within five minutes as Motherwell doubled their advantage. Young tried to clear a Jutkiewicz effort off the line, but it had clearly crossed and the assistant referee's decision was correct. Three minutes later it was 3-0 when a free kick was turned into the net by Sutton as the Aberdeen defence were ripped apart again. Aberdeen now looked a sorry band as they were left with 37 minutes to try and turn the deficit round.

A Miller shot from distance went over in the 58th minute then Maguire replaced Grassi as Aberdeen tried to do the impossible. A free kick produced a corner on the hour mark, but the set play came to nothing. Another free kick a minute later was headed wide by Craigan for another corner as Aberdeen finally mounted some pressure. Motherwell almost made it 4-0 in the 64th minute, but Langfield did well to turn an O'Brien shot wide. Paton replaced Fyvie in the 68th minute but the home side were making no impact on the game as Motherwell oozed with confidence.

Maguire was booked in the 74th minute for a stupid foul as the crowd slowly dwindled. Three minutes later Aberdeen won a corner, but again it came to nothing. A free kick on the edge of the box saw Mulgrew hit the wall and loud shouts for a penalty were ignored as the game meandered towards its conclusion. Two more minutes of injury time were endured before the referee put everyone out of their misery, but by this time the crowd was sparse.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Foster, Ifil, Mulgrew, Grassi (Maguire 58), Young, Kerr, McDonald, Fyvie (Paton 68), Mackie, Miller.

Unused Subs: Nelson, Diamond, Jack, Marshall, Duff.

Bookings:  Mulgrew (49),  Maguire (72).

Motherwell Teamsheet:  John Ruddy, Stevie Hammell, Mark Reynolds, Stephen Craigan, Tom Hateley, Jim O'Brien (Chris Humphrey 78), Keith Lasley, Steve Jennings, Marc Fitzpatrick (Robert McHugh 89), John Sutton, Lukas Jutkiewicz (Jamie Murphy 83).

Unused Subs: Michael Fraser, Ross Forbes, Jonathan Page, Steven Saunders.

Bookings:  K Lasley 11

Referee: Steve Conroy, Busby

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)