Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2009-10 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 2 Dundee United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Diamond 32, Paton 45 (Pen).       Daly 8, Daly 24  
Attendance: 9,316 (Visitors: 1,696)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons Make a Point After Early Setback
Paton is congratulated after netting from the spot.Although Aberdeen have now gone eleven matches without a win the players left the field today with the sound of cheers ringing in their ears. They found themselves 2-0 down after 24 minutes and at that stage you feared the worst. However they showed great resilience and character to fight back. The first goal came in the 32nd minute when Diamond headed a Mulgrew free kick into the net. Then in first half injury time Duff was pushed inside the box and Michael Paton took the responsibility and fired low to the right to level. Play raged from end to end in the second half, but neither side could grab the winner in this entertaining match.

United kicked off, but it was Aberdeen who were first to show as Paton picked up on the right. His cross was cleared, but a minute later Mackie won a free kick on the left and Young's whipped cross had to be punched clear by Pernis. Aberdeen had started well, but after enjoying the best of the early play United went ahead in the 9th minute. Daly drove between Diamond and Mulgrew and hit a powerful shot from 20 yards giving Langfield no chance. Mark McGhee was angry with the fourth official and had obviously noticed something in the build up to the goal.

Diamond celebrates his goalAberdeen tried to hit back immediately and Mackie stung the hands of Pernis a minute later. It was almost 2-0 in the 17th minute, but Conway fired wide as the Aberdeen defence looked static. A minute later Swanson was given a lot of space, but fired high over as Aberdeen lost control of the match. At the other end Duff delivered a decent ball into the box, but there were no takers. The home support was getting restless, but TV presenter Lorraine Kelly was enjoying proceedings in the away support.

There was controversy in the 24th minute when the assistant referee awarded Aberdeen a throw in, but referee Brines decided to overrule and award United a free kick. The ball was swung in by Swanson and Daly rose unchallenged to head home his and United's second. This match was beginning to look one-sided and Aberdeen needed some inspiration from somewhere. Kenneth conceded a free kick when he fouled Mackie providing Mulgrew with a chance from 35 yards. He wasn't that far away as the ball crept past the keepers' left hand post.

Aluko in action against Dundee UnitedThe inspiration that the Dons were looking for arrived in the 32nd minute when Aluko was brought down on the left. Mulgrew made the perfect delivery and Zander Diamond bulleted a header past the helpless Pernis. Paterson was replaced by Grassi three minutes later after the defender went down injured. Young brought down Conway on the edge of the box in the 37th minute as the United man looked set to shoot. From the resultant free kick the same player sent the ball wide. Two minutes later a long range effort from Duff failed to test the keeper.

Paton won a free kick in the 42nd minute and again Charlie Mulgrew stepped up. His shot was on target, but Pernis got behind the ball and held firm. Foster then collected the first caution of the match when he was late on Conway. In injury time Aberdeen won another free kick in a dangerous area, but United defended firmly. A minute later their defence was more rash than firm as they conceded a penalty. Aluko had worked his way into the box and cut the ball back to Duff who was pushed, leaving referee Brines no option, but to award the spot kick. Paton took the responsibility and fired low to the right to level the match.

Charlie Mulgrew in action against Dundee UnitedThe second half started at the same pace and Langfield had to cut out an early cross while at the other end a Young cross almost produced an own goal as Kovacevic scooped the ball over his own bar. The play was open and both sides were looking to add to the scoring. In the 51st minute Aluko skinned Kovacevic and his cross was booted out for a corner. From the set play United broke in numbers, but Diamond regained possession and set Aberdeen going forward again. Aluko was starting to shine and he caused problems again producing a smart turn, but his shot didn't match the build up play.

Aberdeen were certainly putting in the effort and at the other end it was Grassi who produced a last ditch challenge to block and concede a corner. When the corner came across there was a real melee in the box and Kerr produced a goal line clearance as the fans showed their appreciation. Aberdeen won a corner on the hour mark from thedelivery Grassi headed over. Two minutes later Diamond collected the second yellow card of the game for a late challenge. United went close in the 67th minute as Langfield was once again the hero. He made a great stop then Grassi almost had a fresh air kick as the ball went for a corner.

Paton nets from the spot.Garry Kenneth had the ball in the net two minutes later, but the flag was up quickly to deny him. MacLean then replaced Paton as the fans enjoyed the action in a sun soaked Pittodrie. Young became the third Don to end up in Mr, Brines book as the end to end play slowed and both sides became a bit more cautious. United won a free kick wide left in the 80th minute, but substitute Sandaza headed well wide. A minute later Aberdeen won their own free kick on the edge of the box. Unfortunately Mulgrew failed to find the target as the ball found row Z.

Fyvie replaced Aluko in the closing minutes and the youngster immediately won a corner. When the ball came across Pernis flapped at it and a huge stramash followed before United scrambled the ball clear. United then won their own corner at the other end, but Aberdeen defended it well as both sides looked for that elusive winner. In the final minute of injury time Aberdeen won a corner after Mackie was taken out of the play. A second quickly followed, but they couldn't find the winner and although that takes Aberdeen to an unwanted record of eleven games without a win, it was a vast improvement by Aberdeen and the fans certainly appreciated the performance.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Foster, Diamond, Paterson (Grassi 35), Mulgrew, Paton (MacLean 69), Young, Kerr, Duff, Aluko (Fyvie 86), Mackie.

Unused Subs: Nelson, Marshall, Jack, Ifil.

Bookings:  Foster (42),  Diamond (61),  Young (74).

Dundee United Teamsheet:  Dusan Pernis, Sean Dillon, Andy Webster, Garry Kenneth, Mihael Kovacevic, Morgaro Gomis, Daniel Swanson (David Robertson 57), Prince Buaben (Jennison Myrie-Williams 79), Craig Conway, Jon Daly, David Goodwillie (Francisco Sandaza 69).

Unused Subs: Kevin Smith, Steve Banks, Darren Dods, Keith Watson.

Bookings:  A Webster 90

Referee: Iain Brines, Erskine

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)