Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2009-10 fixture list
St. Johnstone 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  12:00 PM   Nelson 90 (og)       MacLean 16.  
Attendance: 3,295
Venue: McDiarmid Park, Perth
Saints late show denies Dons win
Action from Perth this afternoonAberdeen looked to have secured all three points, but a late goal denied them and gave the home side a share of the spoils. Aberdeen went ahead in the 15th minute when a Grassi header was turned on to the bar and a combination of Mackie and finally MacLean turned the ball into the net. MacLean subsequently hit the bar and had a decent shot deflected wide before the break. Aberdeen then comfortably dealt with everything St. Johnstone threw at them until Saints grabbed the equaliser in the 90th minute. Nelson initially made a fine save from a Craig free kick and made a second block before the ball was bundled into the net via the post and the keeper who was still looking for some assistance from his defenders.

Aberdeen kicked off with Foster and Ifil lining up in the centre of the defence. Stuart Nelson was called into action in the opening minute as he turned the ball round the post following poor defending. From the resultant corner Foster was forced to clear from the line as Aberdeen were immediately forced on to the back foot. The home side had settled well and Samuel fired inches wide in the 9th minute while at the other end Saints had to scramble the ball clear as Aberdeen tried to launch a meaningful attack. In the 12th minute Foster was forced to take Samuel out after he was beaten by some trickery.

MacLean turns the ball into the net.Mackie won the Dons first corner of the match in the 15th minute and it produced the opening goal of the match. Marshall swung the ball into the danger area and a Grassi header forced a save from Smith. The keeper could only turn the ball on to the bar and Mackie was first to react. It looked as if his effort was going in, but MacLean made sure as he turned the ball into the net. Aberdeen looked more comfortable after the goal and Manager McGhee would be looking for them to press their advantage. Saints won a second corner in the 27th minute, but it was well defended by Aberdeen.

Davidson caught Aluko late a minute later, but referee McDonald failed to award a free kick. The perpetrator, Murray Davidson, then decided to accuse the Nigerian of simulation. Saints went close in the 32nd minute as a free kick caused panic at the back, but Nelson was eventually able to claim the ball. Aberdeen won their own free kick in the 36th minute, but Young took the kick quickly when it may have been more beneficial to swing the ball into the danger area. A minute later Aluko cut inside and fired inches wide.

MacLean and Mackie celebrate the opening goalAberdeen almost made it 2-0 in the 39th minute as MacLean latched on to a deflected ball and watched in anguish as his attempt came off the bar. MacLean went close again two minutes later when a goal bound shot was deflected for a corner. Marshall delivered again and once again it was Grassi who met the ball, but his effort went wide. In the final minute of the half Sheridan spooned the ball well over the bar as the Dons went into the break with a deserved lead.

Saints threatened first and a corner in the 49th minute forced Aluko to clear the ball off the line. It was a similar start to the first half and Aberdeen would be hoping at this stage that they can add a second goal on the hour mark. Grassi picked up a nasty knock with a rather poor challenge on Samuel. He recovered in time to block a Rutkiewicz header as the Saints made a positive start. Another corner followed two minutes later and a third one seconds later before Aberdeen could clear allowing a great run from Foster that ended when Irvine halted his progress.

A Millar cross was just missed by Sheridan two minutes later then Deuchar replaced Morais as the home side looked to draw level. Ifil was handling Sheridan well and the Saints players' frustration showed as he reacted badly to another good challenge. Mackie almost doubled their advantage in the 58th minute after Smith misjudged the ball, but his pass to MacLean went astray and the chance was lost. Ifil released Mackie on the hour mark and as he tried to find Marshall the ball was intercepted. Marshall earned the first caution of the match in the 63rd minute, but the resultant free kick came to nothing.

Action from Perth this afternoonIn the 67th minute Aluko and Marshall were replaced by Fyvie and Paton. Fyvie had been in the thick of the action since his introduction as he gave the Saints back line some trouble. St. Johnstone were awarded the softest of free kicks after a firm challenge from Ifil and at the other end MacLean was booked for a challenge that looked more clumsy than malicious, but the over reaction of the Saints player swayed the decision. Good play from Paton. MacLean and Fyvie produced the Dons first corner of the second half, but they were unable to create a scoring chance.

A high ball put the Saints back four under pressure in the 83rd minute, but MacLean was penalised to help ease the pressure on the home defence. In the 87th minute Nelson made a good save from Deuchar after a Saints handball had been ignored. It was a fine stop from the keeper who had had a period of inactivity. The keeper was in action again a minute later as he saved well from Jackson. Saints then won a free kick in a dangerous position as Young was penalised for a high ball.

From the free kick Saints equalised after Nelson had made a great save from the initial free kick from Craig. The ball was eventually bundled into the net via the post and the keeper despite another block from Nelson who received very little assistance from his defence. Saints then pressed for a late winner in the four minutes of injury time, but neither side managed to grab the elusive winner and honours were even. That late goal keeps the Perth club four points ahead of the Dons and could be enough to keep Aberdeen at bay.

St. Johnstone Teamsheet:  Graeme Smith, Gary Irvine, David MacKay, Kevin Rutkiewicz, Daniel Grainger, Chris Millar, Jody Morris, Murray Davidson, Filipe Morais (Kenny Deuchar 56), Cillian Sheridan (Andrew Jackson 71), Collin Samuel (Liam Craig 83).

Unused Subs: Alan Main, Steven Anderson, Graham Gartland, Paul Sheerin.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Nelson, Foster, Ifil, Duff, Young, Marshall (Fyvie 67), Kerr, Grassi, Aluko (Paton 67), MacLean, Mackie.

Unused Subs: Langfield, Robertson, Gibson, Shaughnessy, Hansson.

Bookings:  Marshall (62),  MacLean (76).

Referee: Dougie McDonald, Edinburgh

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)