Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1980-81 fixture list
Drybrough Cup Semi Final 
Morton 2 - 4 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   Thomson, Scott.       Scanlon, Scanlon, Strachan (Pen), McGhee.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Aberdeen are through to what their own fans at least believe will be just their first cup final of the season. They qualified for the Drybrough Cup final after the most dramatic 120 minutes of football seen in Greenock for a long time. It should be stressed, however, that most of the excitement was reserved for the last 11 minutes of normal time and then that incredible last half hour. Until then, Morton and the Dons were sharing two goals.
Ian Scanlon, after his three goals on Saturday, still looked hungry and he made the Dons' opening goal when he neatly robbed Orr. The under-23 cap recovered in time to bring Scanlon down inside the box and Strachan did his usual efficient job from the spot. Thomson scored the equaliser from a Mitchell free kick three minutes from the interval. The game came alight in 79 minutes when Scanlon put Aberdeen ahead again after a brave run by McGhee. Benny Rooney turned to the man who so often before has saved Morton in the closing stages. Ally Scott was sent on with five minutes to go and, incredibly, was in position to equalise a minute from time. It got rough early in extra time was Rougvie clashed with Thomson and Baines. Thomson's offence seemed far more serious but he and Rougvie were given their marching orders.
Morton showed the strain in the last ten minutes and Aberdeen got their two late winners.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st July 1980

Morton Teamsheet:  Baines, Miller, Holmes, Orr, McLaughlin, McLaren (Scott), McNeil, Rooney, Thomson, Tolmie, Ritchie.

Bookings:   Thomson

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Kennedy, Rougvie, Watson (Bell), McLeish, Miller, Strachan, McMaster, McGhee, Jarvie (Cowan), Scanlon.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Miller,  Rougvie.

Referee: D. S. Downie, Edinburgh

Related Links: