Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1920-21 fixture list
Benefit Match 
Aberdeen 2 - 3 Dundee
    George Anderson Benefit Match
Kick Off:    Connon, Rankin.       Philip, Philip, Bell  
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen replayed a friendly match with Dundee at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, for the benefit of George Anderson, Aberdeen's goalkeeper, and after a close game Dundee won by three goals to two. The winning goal was scored by Bell towards the close of the second half. There was an attendance of over 9000 spectators.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd September 1920

Unfortunate weather conditions attended George Anderson's benefit match at Pittodrie last night, when a Dundee Select defeated and Aberdeen Select by 3 goals to 2. Rain just before the start affected the attendance, and there were only 5000 present when the teams took the field.

Dundee won the toss, and elected to play towards the sea. From the kick-off Aberdeen were bent on scoring the first goal. Macdonald spoiled a good run by a weak shot, which he sent right into Gibbons' hands. A cross into Aberdeen?s goalmouth looked dangerous, both Dundee's forwards and Aberdeen's defence missed the ball, and it rolled into touch. From a corner Gibbons fisted clear, two minutes later McDonald just failed at the goalmouth, but Connon retrieved and shot for goal, Gibbons again saving. Yule had a try which went past, followed by a brilliant save at full length by Gibbons from a shot by Connon. Most of the pressing had, up to the present, been done by Aberdeen. Dundee now, however, took a hand the game, McDonald, of Dundee, sending in a great shot, which Anderson held. A second effort was nullified by Hannah. Bell secured the ball, and sent in a terrific shot, which Anderson only just managed to smother. Half-time came with no scoring. There was a considerable improvement in both the weather and attendance at the commencement of the second half. After a fruitless effort by Dundee, Rankine secured, and sent a low shot for goal. Gibbons saved, but Rankine took the ball from the keeper?s hands and walked the ball into the net. Dundee then got going, and after a mix up on Aberdeen's penalty line, Philip sent in a rising shot, beating Anderson all the way. Thee lead was now taken by Dundee, when from a cross by McDonald. Philip again netted. Shortly afterwards a scrimmage occurred in the Dundee goalmouth, and Connon getting his head to the ball secured the equaliser. A ding-dong battle followed, each side striving for the winning goal. Five minutes from time Dundee were successful. Bell sent in a shot which Anderson looked likely to save. It, however, struck Watt's foot, and was deflected into goal, leaving Anderson helpless.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd Seotember 1920

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Hannah, McCombie, Watt, Milne, Robertson, Grant, Connon, MacDonald, Rankin, Yule.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Gibbons; Raitt, Thomson; Irving, Bannester. Sutherland; McDonald, Johnstone, Bell, Philip, Slade


Referee: Peter Craigmyle, Aberdeen

Related Links: